Author Topic: Brandon Bass Needs To Step-Up Or He Has To Go  (Read 7724 times)

Re: Brandon Bass Needs To Step-Up Or He Has To Go
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Bass has never really been a great rebounder I dont know why that would change now. I agree that Bass has played terrible this year. At least his effort and hustle has gone up a little bit over the past couple games. Still isnt showing in his production though. He has no value in a trade but Im still sending him out for the highest bidder.

Yeah I don't get the complaints about Bass or Green when it comes to rebounding. They have never been good at rebounding. So they either have never given effort in their career or more likely they are just not talented rebounders.

Its like pointing out Rondos free throw shooting every game, but worse.
Yeah, its Bass's shooting that's been so shockingly bad compared to his career make rate.

It looked like it was dropping.a bit more when Rondo was put but not so much the past couple games.

I also love this.notion that now guys like Green and Terry are playing well so don't trade them but trade Bass who's been terrible. Everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bass has the effort, he lacks the hands or skill to actually "grab" the rebound.

Bass is pretty good about wanting to rebound, he just doesn't have box out , positioning skills of say Larry Bird or Sully.

Bass gets a finger or touch on alt of rebounds.........he needs to rebound with both hands......

Bass can jump,  he just has awful technic    :'(

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Unfortunately with that contract, Bass isn't going anywhere.

Probably right.

If we moved another asset along with him like a first rounder or fab then we might be able to get a guy on a similarly lengthed contract who is annually paid a little more.

Likely needs to be from a lottery team with little hope of contending in the immediate future.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bass has never really been a great rebounder I dont know why that would change now. I agree that Bass has played terrible this year. At least his effort and hustle has gone up a little bit over the past couple games. Still isnt showing in his production though. He has no value in a trade but Im still sending him out for the highest bidder.

Yeah I don't get the complaints about Bass or Green when it comes to rebounding. They have never been good at rebounding. So they either have never given effort in their career or more likely they are just not talented rebounders.

Yeah, its Bass's shooting that's been so shockingly bad compared to his career make rate.

It's so out of line that it looks more like this season is an outlier rather than this season being Bass showing his true colors, in the absence of any obvious age or injury concerns.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It's so out of line that it looks more like this season is an outlier rather than this season being Bass showing his true colors, in the absence of any obvious age or injury concerns.
He looks like he's trying to do too much to justtify his new contract. Someone has to pull him over to say it's ok to just hit an open 18-footer and play solid defense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It might be that Bass is trying to justify his spot in the starting lineup.  He's shooting at a somewhat higher percentage since Sullinger went out and he has a higher shooting percentage in games where he starts.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He looks like he's trying to do too much to justtify his new contract. Someone has to pull him over to say it's ok to just hit an open 18-footer and play solid defense.
This.

I think this nails the problem down short and sweet.  It's not that he's goofing off like Blount.  He looks like he's overthinking things and trying a little too hard on offense.  if he just did what he did last year and shoot his open jumpers (and make them), there'd be less complaints about his game.  (there'll always be complaints about his rebounding)

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If by out, you mean out of the rotation, well at least that is logical.  If by out you mean, traded for something better, then why should another team give us something better?  If you consider him garbage, then don't expect anything but garbage in return.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

This.

I think this nails the problem down short and sweet.  It's not that he's goofing off like Blount.  He looks like he's overthinking things and trying a little too hard on offense.  if he just did what he did last year and shoot his open jumpers (and make them), there'd be less complaints about his game.  (there'll always be complaints about his rebounding)
Yup.

Last year, he took open jumpers with no hesitation, and he made them with great efficiency.

This year, there always seems to be a shade of hesitation about whether to take it to the rack for a lay-in. And while taking it to the rack is theoretically producing easier looks, it's the hesitation that's turned Bass from a prolific shooter into a mediocre one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has no excuse anymore Sully isn't breathing down his back, last night the one he took was outside his range.

I would prefer to see him dealt though.

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He just does not have a big man skill set. He's a sf according to Charles Barkley.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
He just does not have a big man skill set. He's a sf according to Charles Barkley.

A very slow, clumsy SF.

I wish we could just take his strength and rebounding and put it into Jeff Green. Then we'd have a complete combo forward on this team.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Chuck apparently missed the memo saying that in the NBA, you are what you can defend. Not going to be the first time he'd be talking out of the wrong end.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
he is too slow for sf, better just stay in pf, even if you cant rebounds

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He has that bad combo of low bball iq, poor rebounding, no inside game, no 3 point shot, and poor passing. That's not getting you far, lol