Author Topic: Michael Beasley is one stupid dude  (Read 18844 times)

Re: Michael Beasley is one stupid dude
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »

Offline rondofan09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Vandalism is way worse than smoking pot. Even though he deletes my posts, Hobbs is right...this kid is a  moron. I'm 20 and I can see that.

Edited
No masked profanity please
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:24:09 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
His behavior and attitude remind me very much of Ron Artest, and that alone is enough for me to want to stay clear of this kid. Sorry, but the positives just don't outweigh the questions .... not right now, anyway. He's done and said very little of late to demonstrate that his attitude and immaturity have improved to an acceptable level. Just my opinion, but this kid makes me nervous, and this kind of player, that needs to be nursed and handled with kid gloves, is the wrong kind of energy to add to any successful franchise.

That is easy to say when your team does not hold one of the top 2 picks.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The graffiti contest with Ty Lawson at Oak Hill Academy was particularly noteworthy, with the piece de resistance being the ''mb-easy'' tag on the headmaster's car that got him booted from the prep school.
NBA?

M
ichael Beasley...

...he's a dumbmass.  If you're going to tag the headmaster's car, don't use your own initials. 

I mean, how did they know it was HIM?

Carmelo Anthony, the sleepy eyed version.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He's coming out of the college equivalent of an AAU program, with no coaching to speak of, just an AAU-type caretaker in Frank Martin.

I don't think he's as big a character question as Billy Walker, whose temper tantrums are legend out here, but I'd be very leery of anyone out of the Kansas State program.

Hobbs makes some excellent points. He seems to have a sense of entitlement to some of those incidents, and that would definitely concern me if I had any intention of building my franchise around the guy.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »

Offline celticjames24

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • I'm Green for Life!!!
[Deleted.  Profanity is not allowed, nor is personally attacking a moderator. -R.H.]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:15:44 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Once a Celtics fan, always a Celtics fan. Celtics4Life!

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 11:42:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Beasley has a millionaire's talent and a pauper's brain, apparently.  I can't think of too many players who have taken that combination and turned it into superstardom.

Ron Artest
Stephon Marbury
Terrell Owens
Manny Ramirez
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Ricky Williams
Darryl Dawkins
Shawn Kemp
Rasheed Wallace
Dennis Rodman

I'm sure there are a ton more. Most of these guys were/are still doing stupid stuff well into their careers and even thereafter. Beasley hasn't even started his career. I'd give the kid a break until he proves he's an idiot you can't win with.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 11:47:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Beasley has a millionaire's talent and a pauper's brain, apparently.  I can't think of too many players who have taken that combination and turned it into superstardom.

Ron Artest
Stephon Marbury
Terrell Owens
Manny Ramirez
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Ricky Williams
Darryl Dawkins
Shawn Kemp
Rasheed Wallace
Dennis Rodman

I'm sure there are a ton more. Most of these guys were/are still doing stupid stuff well into their careers and even thereafter. Beasley hasn't even started his career. I'd give the kid a break until he proves he's an idiot you can't win with.

Sure.  And how many of those knuckleheads were the centerpiece of a successful rebuilding effort?  How many have won championships?  Very few.  I mean, if Michael Beasley turns into the power forward equivalent of Ron Artest or Stephon Marbury, do you think the team drafting him is going to be jumping for joy?

(I'm not sure it's fair to put Manny in that group.  He doesn't hustle from time to time, but what trouble has he ever been in?  What evidence has there been that he's a character problem?)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Maybe he'll rape a nurse and become MVP. Yeah, I can see myself getting really upset about a kid doing graffiti in high school.  ???

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
there is a difference between smoking weed and tagging a car. They are both technically illegal, but heck, graffiti won't even get you suspended from some schools. Some infractions are far more serious than others, and I feel as though as if you are not recognizing that.

While I won't get into the politics of it, one is seen as a "victimless crime", while the other creates thousands of dollars worth of property damage for others to pay for. 

I don't believe Beasley's honesty is a sign of stupidity, either. I severely doubt that he will drop past 2, regardless of what he says or does in the upcoming weeks (barring something really major). He is not hurting his draft stock very much, or even at all, and he is simply acknowledging that he is human. Nothing wrong with that.

The kid is irresponsible and immature, at the very least.  Of course his honesty is a sign of stupidity, because he's potentially costing himself millions of dollars, even if the drop is only from #1 to #2.

Interviewer: "We love you, but we're a little concerned about some of the past youthful shenanigans you displayed in high school.  Any reason we should be concerned?"

Interviewee: "Absolutely you should be concerned.  I'm going to live my life, and that means making more mistakes.  And plus, those things you thought were a character flaw?  I don't know what you're talking about.  Nothing wrong with what I did at all".

Everybody seems to think that I'm getting hung up on the character issues.  Those aren't the things I'm labeling as stupid, though.  It's the whole "I didn't do anything wrong, and I'm probably going to do it again" attitude that concerns me, and makes me question him.  Maybe you guys don't consider that a big deal, but it absolutely is a sign that this kid isn't the most mature or intelligent individual on the planet.

I guess it all depends on perspective? how much stuff did he tag? THOUSANDS of dollars worth of property damage? I didn't read too closely I thought it was just the principals car...

Still, smoking pot is not a victimless crime. It is simply a crime against yourself, like suicide. You can really damage yourself with prolonged marijuana use.

Anyways, some people regard grafitti as being worse while some others regard illegal drug use to be. I believe the degree of punishment is greater for drug use. That's what I'm basing my argument off of.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
there is a difference between smoking weed and tagging a car. They are both technically illegal, but heck, graffiti won't even get you suspended from some schools. Some infractions are far more serious than others, and I feel as though as if you are not recognizing that.

While I won't get into the politics of it, one is seen as a "victimless crime", while the other creates thousands of dollars worth of property damage for others to pay for. 

I don't believe Beasley's honesty is a sign of stupidity, either. I severely doubt that he will drop past 2, regardless of what he says or does in the upcoming weeks (barring something really major). He is not hurting his draft stock very much, or even at all, and he is simply acknowledging that he is human. Nothing wrong with that.

The kid is irresponsible and immature, at the very least.  Of course his honesty is a sign of stupidity, because he's potentially costing himself millions of dollars, even if the drop is only from #1 to #2.

Interviewer: "We love you, but we're a little concerned about some of the past youthful shenanigans you displayed in high school.  Any reason we should be concerned?"

Interviewee: "Absolutely you should be concerned.  I'm going to live my life, and that means making more mistakes.  And plus, those things you thought were a character flaw?  I don't know what you're talking about.  Nothing wrong with what I did at all".

Everybody seems to think that I'm getting hung up on the character issues.  Those aren't the things I'm labeling as stupid, though.  It's the whole "I didn't do anything wrong, and I'm probably going to do it again" attitude that concerns me, and makes me question him.  Maybe you guys don't consider that a big deal, but it absolutely is a sign that this kid isn't the most mature or intelligent individual on the planet.

I guess it all depends on perspective? how much stuff did he tag? THOUSANDS of dollars worth of property damage? I didn't read too closely I thought it was just the principals car...

He was tagging stuff all around his high school, until he was put on final probation for it.  Two days later, he tagged his principal's truck.  That's stupid. 

However, the graffiti is not what I'm taking exception to.  It's the utter lack of remorse and the "I'll do dumb stuff again" vibe that I think is moronic.  If Beasley had apologized and said "I've learned my lesson, and I'm going to commit myself to being a model citizen", I wouldn't be saying a word.  Instead, he's basically promising the team that drafts him that there will be future problems.  That's a pretty stupid thing to say.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 12:06:43 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

He was tagging stuff all around his high school, until he was put on final probation for it.  Two days later, he tagged his principal's truck.  That's stupid. 

However, the graffiti is not what I'm taking exception to.  It's the utter lack of remorse and the "I'll do dumb stuff again" vibe that I think is moronic.  If Beasley had apologized and said "I've learned my lesson, and I'm going to commit myself to being a model citizen", I wouldn't be saying a word.  Instead, he's basically promising the team that drafts him that there will be future problems.  That's a pretty stupid thing to say.
I don't read into his statements that way. Agree to disagree?

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
I'm with Roy.

As a teacher, you can see something immediately evident: he's got problems with authority, which usually stems from problems following rules.  I really could care less when my kids prank me...as long as its in good fun.  But neither one of those two things were, especially tagging a car.  That's pretty clear he's doing that *specifically* to upset someone else.  That's just being a jerk.

But in terms of maturity, and giving him a by because he was a kid, the real problem is his reaction to what he has done.  A response like "I was stupid back then, those year are behind me now" says alot more than "I'm going to live my life", as if doing hurtful things to other people is part of life.  Its not.  Its part of being a person thats going to be a bad team player and have a very hard time obeying the regimen dictated by his superiors.

And its not like as kid he didn't know that was wrong either.  Those are things that kids do _because_ they know they are wrong.  There are many youthful mistakes that don't blemish your character.  These aren't them.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." - Franklin

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 12:17:50 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
His behavior and attitude remind me very much of Ron Artest, and that alone is enough for me to want to stay clear of this kid. Sorry, but the positives just don't outweigh the questions .... not right now, anyway. He's done and said very little of late to demonstrate that his attitude and immaturity have improved to an acceptable level. Just my opinion, but this kid makes me nervous, and this kind of player, that needs to be nursed and handled with kid gloves, is the wrong kind of energy to add to any successful franchise.

That is easy to say when your team does not hold one of the top 2 picks.

Actually, I made this statement with the mindset of how I'd feel if it were the Celtics making the decision ... and I would feel no different.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:26:20 AM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
"I just turned 19 in January. How mature do you want me to be? I'm still a kid. I'm not legal. I can vote, but that's about it. On the basketball side of things, I'm 30 years old. Off the court ... I'm going to live my life. I'm going to mess up

actually this very statement reflects a lot more intelligence, maturity and honesty than one would expect from most teenagers, especially athletes. Perhaps it is those that would call him stupid over this that are actually the ones who are stupid. He shouldn't say that because "this is the biggest interview of his life?" Please. He's the best player in the draft (or at absolute worst one of the top 2). One of the reasons he can afford to be this honest is because he knows that he's the best player and that teams would be insane to pass up on him unless it comes out before the draft that he's been arrested on charges that he's the kingpin of one of the largest human trafficking operations in the world. He's going to make millions upon millions of dollars and telling the truth isn't going to change that one iota.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
Ok come on now... first off how do you have any right to attack a kid on being stupid. Guess what, I'm 19 yrs old. A college student and I've done some stupid things in my life. Played some pranks, gotten in trouble at home. Yet I never did anything that could get me arrested, in trouble sure... but not that bad of trouble. And all these articles point to harmless pranks and jokes and games. Things kids are expected to do. Beasley has most definitely made the effort to step into a more professional mindset. But he is still a kid. And  everyone is a kid once and everyone does some stupid stuff. Hell even  adults do some pretty stupid things, more so than kids... considering the "heightened" maturity that adults are supposed to have.
Furthermore who cares if he says "Hey I'm going to let you know in advance, but I'm not perfect... I'm probably going to make another mistake in my lifetime" or "I'm going to live life to the fullest." Living life to the fullest is a concept that was long forgotten in our country. People generally do not fulfill their life dreams or goals, jeesh most people aren't even happy with what they are doing. So what if Beasley made some mistakes as a high schooler, get it over it. Who cares if he wants to make the most of life? I most certainly don't and I commend him for having the courage and honesty to stand up and say "I'm young and I'm not perfect"
And if you want to start bashing people... why don't you go after Joakim Noah for drinking in public and smoking pot. Or Josh Howard for admitting he smokes pot. Sure he was honest. But both players have done or are doing things that are ILLEGAL! Attack them for thinking they are above the law. Or attack the system for doing nothing or only giving high profiled people a slap on the wrist. Don't attack a kid admitting what he is... a kid.
Oh yeah and the Celtics had the chance to get him I'm sure everyone would be thrilled on this message board, myself included.

You make some interesting points.  However, if someone was paying you millions of dollars, the least you could do, is learn to keep your mouth shut. 

Anything will do... how about

-I'll try my hardest to stay out of trouble 
- Next question please
- I'm here to discuss basketball

All things that would take the pressure off his private life and focus it on his basketball play.

The bottom line is when I was a little kid watching the nba, 19 and 20 year old guys were adults to me. 

You get paid to play in the NBA because there are millions of people who pay money to watch you play in the NBA.  Thats a responsibility that comes with being on that floor, being the center of attention, having people watch your every move.

I mean if you got a little brother and your sneaking into the house late at night drunk and setting a bad example.

Your parents are p---ed that your a bad influence on the little guy that looks up to you.

Now multiply that times about 100,000 and thats how bad it is when professional athletes don't take responsibility for their actions and blame it on, "Oh, I'm young, I'm a just a kid.

or "We live expensive life styles so we need all this money" -Charles Barkeley

Had to throw in the poke at Sir Charles. 

Anyways thats my point, take it or leave it.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3