Author Topic: Portland Acquires Camby from the Clippers  (Read 9106 times)

Re: Portland Acquires Camby from the Clippers
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Good trade by both teams.  Portland desperately needed a Center (although I give it 2 weeks before Camby goes down with a season ending injury as well), and the Clippers got expiring contracts for two useful players, who could be resigned next year to help them win.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Good trade for Portland.  I wouldn't say so if Travis Outlaw were not an expiring contract, but since he is there's a good chance he wouldn't have signed with them this summer anyway.

We should try to get him with the MLE this summer, in my opinion.
Im in for bringing Outlaw to Boston...tp

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Good trade by both teams.  Portland desperately needed a Center (although I give it 2 weeks before Camby goes down with a season ending injury as well), and the Clippers got expiring contracts for two useful players, who could be resigned next year to help them win.

Do they really for what?  as a stopgap to allow them to get beat in the 1st round of the playoffs.  I don't see Portland's angle other than to trick some stupid fans into thinking they still have a shot now that they have a healthy (lol) Center.  Is he at least expiring after this season?

Camby always got stats with a very low amount of wins.  Good help defender but, very poor on the ball defender.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
All this trade means, is that with Outlaw going to the Clippers....now they dont have a reason to hold onto Rasual Butler.

I think we need to go after Rasual Butler now!

TA and JR for Rasual Butler!!!!

Butler would be a great fit on this team, he's got more size than TA, he's got a better offensive game than TA, he's smarter than TA, he plays good defense against the elite wing scorers of the league.

Now that Travis oultaw is with the Clippers,plus they still have Al Thornton.. they dont need to keep Rasual Butler, so we should go after him.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

Do they really for what?  as a stopgap to allow them to get beat in the 1st round of the playoffs.  I don't see Portland's angle other than to trick some stupid fans into thinking they still have a shot now that they have a healthy (lol) Center.  Is he at least expiring after this season?

Camby always got stats with a very low amount of wins.  Good help defender but, very poor on the ball defender.

They are a good team - they owe it to their fans to try ... especially if it is a low cost move, like this is.  Camby is a great rebounder and shot blocker.  He provides significant value for his position.  Given his starting on an NBA finalist and several good Denver teams, I reckon he has done quite nicely for himself.  He's a pro.  Portland gets him essentially for free -it is a no-brainer.  

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:01 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

They are a good team - they owe it to their fans to try ... especially if it is a low cost move, like this is.  Camby is a great rebounder and shot blocker.  He provides significant value for his position.  Given his starting on an NBA finalist and several good Denver teams, I reckon he has done quite nicely for himself.  He's a pro.  Portland gets him essentially for free -it is a no-brainer.  

IC he went to Mass as well If I recall.  I guess if it's of no consequence with their salary cap then it's a no brainer. If he's actually signed past this year I would have passed due to being no use and still losing in the 1st round.  Horribly overrated player though, IMHO.

I'm trying to recall a time when Camby started on an NBA finals team?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:35:55 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford

IC he went to Mass as well If I recall.  I guess if it's of no consequence with their salary cap then it's a no brainer. If he's actually signed past this year I would have passed due to not being of no use and still losing in the 1st round.  Horribly overrated player though, IMHO.

Former national player of the year - 1996.  Provided a defensive backbone for some good teams - though the raw numbers in Denver are deflated due to pace (the Monta Ellis phenomenon in reverse). 

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah I'm familiar with his exploits at UMass what point that makes is beyond me.  If by reversal you mean one is talented, on the rise, and young the other isn't any of those then yes complete reversal.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

IC he went to Mass as well If I recall.  I guess if it's of no consequence with their salary cap then it's a no brainer. If he's actually signed past this year I would have passed due to being no use and still losing in the 1st round.  Horribly overrated player though, IMHO.

It is a no brainer, because Camby is expiring.  Basically, Portland traded two expiring contracts who don't really figure into their playoff rotation, for an expiring contract who fills a MAJOR need due to season ending injuries. 

Even if you don't like Camby, you have to understand that he is a better option than the guys they have playing up front right now.

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:16 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
Yeah I'm familiar with his exploits at UMass what point that makes is beyond me.  If by reversal you mean one is talented, on the rise, and young the other isn't any of those then yes complete reversal.

Where points are marred by playing a very fast pace - compared to the Celtics, who play a very slow one.  That will actually be one of the interesting parts of Camby in PDX if it goes down - Portland plays the slowest tempo in the league.  A typical Warrior would probably average 13 a game for the Blazers, maybe less since they'd be forced to pass the ball once in a while.  

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

It is a no brainer, because Camby is expiring.  Basically, Portland traded two expiring contracts who don't really figure into their playoff rotation, for an expiring contract who fills a MAJOR need due to season ending injuries. 

Even if you don't like Camby, you have to understand that he is a better option than the guys they have playing up front right now.

OK cool then I admit it doesn't hurt or help.  Plus you get the added benefit for your 'fans' thinking you still have a shot. And if what you said is correct about not wanting any of the players they gave up then it's a win/win. 

Thanks for educating me with regards to Camby's salary.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Where points are marred by playing a very fast pace - compared to the Celtics, who play a very slow one.  That will actually be one of the interesting parts of Camby in PDX if it goes down - Portland plays the slowest tempo in the league.  A typical Warrior would probably average 13 a game for the Blazers, maybe less since they'd be forced to pass the ball once in a while.  

You don't believe in this pace stuff do you? I mean seriously anyone thinking that Ellis would score 13 pts on Portland due to ' Pace ' really needs watch a few GS games. 

I really don't mean to offend you but, that's as nice as can state it.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You don't believe in this pace stuff do you? I mean seriously anyone thinking that Ellis would score 13 pts on Portland due to ' Pace ' really needs watch a few GS games. 

I really don't mean to offend you but, that's as nice as can state it.

Well, I think he would score 13 points (or less) on Portland, but that has more to do with Cheek's inability to make a decision on lineups, so he would probably be playing averaging 20 minutes per game (5 minutes in one game, 38 in the next, rinse and repeat).

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
Pace seems like a pretty fair metric.  After all, up tempo teams and half court teams have been a legitimate strategic difference in basketball teams ever since the fast break was perfected.  There is no difference in ballplayers' reactions to being in a run and gun system versus a half court one?  Alex English, David Thompson made careers out of it.  So a guy like Ellis has piled up numbers in a run and gun system. 

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
This is a great move for Portland. They get a solid big man and simultaneously dump one of their forwards (they're loaded at the forward spot!). They probably won't be able to contend for a title this year, but the move at least helps them with their playoff chances.