Author Topic: Chad Ford on SportsCenter talking about the Rondo Ray offer to Detroit  (Read 18372 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Interesting.

Appears that the NBA - and Celtics management - don't hold Rondo in the same esteem as the blog.
Well depends on the who you are talking about. A lot of people here think he should be untouchable. Others would move him for CP3/LeBron/Dwight and that is about it.

I think it is natural for any blog to over rate their subject team's players. Especially young ones that the team drafted and whom they have watched develop.

I believe it goes both ways.  You have either players that are overvalued OR undervalued. 

Who is undervalued on the C's team by most posters?

Pierce, Allen.

Posey was undervalued wildly.

I think you'd need only contrast the venom directed at Pierce, who played 100 games without competent relief, in the playoffs with the impassioned defense of Rondo at any suggestion that there's something he doesn't do well to see the difference.

For all practical reasons, Rondo guy averaged a triple double while playing 41 minutes a night, yet Pierce's atrocious play is justified because he had no bench help? I don't see your rationale. If Pierce played only as half as well as Rondo did in the Playoffs, we probably would have made it to the finals. Yes, even without KG.
A triple double is over rated, on that I think everyone should agree. Such numbers don't mean anything in and of themselves.

Especially when in Game 6 and Game 7 the opposing team essentially didn't guard Rondo unless he was near the paint. Rondo is a great PG, but his one flaw hurts the team badly at times.

Pierce and Allen both could have played a lot better. But they also had doubles thrown at them all the time. Pierce in particular had Raefer and Johnson running at him the second he touched the ball at half court.

See, I still don't understand why Rondo is flawed, yet Paul Pierce was just "double teamed and tired." Is it too much to ask of Celticsblog posters to admit that Paul Pierce stunk because he stunk? It's one excuse after another for Paul. Kobe Bryant gets double teamed all the time, that doesn't stop him from getting it done, and he has also played 34,531 minutes in his career. According to your logic, whenever Kobe or Paul misses a shot or a defensive assignment, they were just "tired or double teamed." What a crock! Paul Pierce played extremely poorly in the playoffs. End of story.
I fail to see where Kobe comes into this. Besides Kobe wasn't doubled the same way as Pierce most of the playoffs. When he was trapped he sometimes turned it over a ton and hurt his team, or other times kept throwing it into Gasol who then passed to the wide open 5th Laker for an uncontested/shot dunk.

But mostly teams tried not to trap him much because he had more shooters around him than Pierce did. And he also had two long big men to throw it to into the post in Odom/Gasol. We only had one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:16:24 PM by Fafnir »