Author Topic: Trade idea: Joel Pryzbilla a Celtic??  (Read 14930 times)

Re: Trade idea: Joel Pryzbilla a Celtic??
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:38 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
why would anyone in their right mind want to trade leon powe?  apparently common sense has left the building...

Knick fans were saying that about Frye about 3 years ago. Now he is the 3rd center/power forward in Portland.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
why would anyone in their right mind want to trade leon powe?  apparently common sense has left the building...

I don't think Powe is untouchable by any means, especially considering there's no way we can keep him past next year, if the right deal manifests itself, I'd be willing to part with the guy....

who says they can't keep him?  is this a fact or just an opinion?  why trade him prematurely?  leon powe is an intricate part of this team...to trade him away for something unproven makes no sense to me whatsoever.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:11:26 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

Knick fans were saying that about Frye about 3 years ago. Now he is the 3rd center/power forward in Portland.

frye has no heart...leon has something immeasurable - desire, passion, and work ethic.  comparing frye to powe is comical.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:17:40 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I don't think Powe is untouchable by any means, especially considering there's no way we can keep him past next year, if the right deal manifests itself, I'd be willing to part with the guy....

who says they can't keep him?  is this a fact or just an opinion?  why trade him prematurely?  leon powe is an intricate part of this team...to trade him away for something unproven makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Its an opinion based on the structure of the NBA... he's gonna command a ton of money, I think at least 6 mil per year, especially if he continues to grow this year, I don't think we can hold onto that kind of ocntract with the need to re-up Rondo and keep the big three...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 12:19:39 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

frye has no heart...leon has something immeasurable - desire, passion, and work ethic.  comparing frye to powe is comical.

he's not comparing Powe the player to Frye the player, instead Frye the situation to Powe the situation, the two were very similar - Frye really was deemed untouchable for a while, and look how he's turned out.. I do think you're overvaluing Powe a wee bit, as yes, he's had some nice games, and brings tons of intangibles to the team, but he's also thrown some stinkers out there too... if there's an offer out there that makes us better, we should listen, is Joel the man? I don't think so personally
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I'm not arguing about Leon's immeasurable, I just remember hearing NBA "experts" and Knick fans saying that Fyre was untradable. Next thing you know he is traded and now he can't get off the Portland's bench. And although I love Powe and his story, I'd trade him for a legit center. Perkins injury in the finals was a big eye opener on how important it is for the C's to get some backup centers on the roster.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Joel Przybilla is better than Kendrick Perkins. It's close but Joel is better. He'd be a great acquisition for the Celtics.

It makes zero sense for Portland to give him up. Firstly, their GM and coach both want to keep Joel around to battle Oden and to teach Oden everyday in practice as well as having a legit physical 7 footer who can come in and spell Oden during games.  They like Joel, he's one of the locker room leaders and one of the few veterans on the team. They like the fact they have someone like him to help Oden early in Oden's career.

Portland have four 7 footers they like in Oden-Aldridge-Przybilla-Frye ... why would you break that up for a short limited largely unproven (playoffs saw their minutes slashed) big man? The versatility of that group is amazing. It's likely going to be the best combination of big men in the league by the end of next season. Why toy with it? It gives Portland two legit shot blockers at all time and fits perfectly (length and quickness) with the large number of zones they like to deploy. Frye's and Aldridge's jumpshooting ability is also important to provide spacing for Oden to go to work.

It makes zero sense for Portland

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
The Trailblazers don't need to get younger AND to make this work cap wise, the Celtics would need to give up Davis, Powe, Pruitt, and Scalabrine. 

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I like this idea - even though Who's right; it'll never happen - better than all the "let's reassemble the 24-win team" nonsense that's polluting the other Celtics boards.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Its an opinion based on the structure of the NBA... he's gonna command a ton of money, I think at least 6 mil per year, especially if he continues to grow this year, I don't think we can hold onto that kind of ocntract with the need to re-up Rondo and keep the big three...

We carry Bird rights on all of these guys, so as long as the owners are willing to pay them, we can. to this point, the owners have shown that they are willing to pay for guys that are worth it.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would have been a good trade talent wise for the Celtics, but I agree, Portland would want more. 

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
leon powe is a great insurance policy to a kevin garnett injury...if we gave him away it could be devastating.

i'm not sold on the idea that powe is going to command this huge contract...let's wait this out and see instead of doing something premature that we might regret.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
leon powe is a great insurance policy to a kevin garnett injury...if we gave him away it could be devastating.

i'm not sold on the idea that powe is going to command this huge contract...let's wait this out and see instead of doing something premature that we might regret.

Either Powe or Davis will be the odd man out at PF.  If the Celtics could move the one they think will be out for a real backup C, that will be good. 

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

Either Powe or Davis will be the odd man out at PF.  If the Celtics could move the one they think will be out for a real backup C, that will be good. 

i agree, and that's why i keep powe and ship out davis.  i like big baby, but i LOVE leon's game.  i don't believe davis will ever get his weight under control and i also believe that will limit his potential.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Joel Przybilla is better than Kendrick Perkins. It's close but Joel is better. He'd be a great acquisition for the Celtics.

It makes zero sense for Portland to give him up. Firstly, their GM and coach both want to keep Joel around to battle Oden and to teach Oden everyday in practice as well as having a legit physical 7 footer who can come in and spell Oden during games.  They like Joel, he's one of the locker room leaders and one of the few veterans on the team. They like the fact they have someone like him to help Oden early in Oden's career.

Portland have four 7 footers they like in Oden-Aldridge-Przybilla-Frye ... why would you break that up for a short limited largely unproven (playoffs saw their minutes slashed) big man? The versatility of that group is amazing. It's likely going to be the best combination of big men in the league by the end of next season. Why toy with it? It gives Portland two legit shot blockers at all time and fits perfectly (length and quickness) with the large number of zones they like to deploy. Frye's and Aldridge's jumpshooting ability is also important to provide spacing for Oden to go to work.

It makes zero sense for Portland

What he said. Pryzbilla is good. And though I like Powe as much as the next guy - he's a decent player playing with THREE all stars - not on a team full of kids.