Author Topic: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League  (Read 38460 times)

Re: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Switching between the two games today - Arsenal vs Olympiakos & Chelsea vs Porto.

Chelsea were absolutely miserable. Over-run in midfield. Imbula and Danilo were superb for Porto. So much more muscle and class than Chelsea. Fabregas at the tip of a three man midfield was a disaster. Ramires the only Chelsea midfielder who showed up and played well. The attack was blunt with Pedro, Willian and D.Costa. Not enough one-on-one skills again. I do not understand not playing Hazard in such a big game. He is the only player who can consistently go past people one-on-one in the team. Diego Costa slow and lumbersome. Defense had far too many mistakes. Ivanovic looked weak again when attacked yet somehow remains in the team. No idea why Ivanovic was selected against someone like Brahimi with all his pace and trickery.

Arsenal were abysmal in the first half. I thought they played very well in the 2nd half. Loved Alexis' header for the 2nd goal. Conceding that quick 3rd knocked the stuffing out of them though. And as usual, opposing team just clogged the middle of the pitch and forced Arsenal to attack out wide which Arsenal do not want to do and handled Arsenal's late pressure comfortably. I do not understand why so many Arsenal players are such poor crossers of the ball from wide areas. I do not understand why Cazorla and Ozil keep trying to pass their way through 8 defenders / midfielders instead of attacking wide where there is space. I thought Ozil had a shocking match for Arsenal. Looks tired to me. Not playing with same energy / purpose as in beginning of the season. Do not understand why Cech did not play. Ospina's howler has cost them badly here.

Poor performances from the English teams. In real danger of losing that 4th Champions League spot.

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Spot on, Who.

Although they did try attacking wide in the last 20 minutes, there was such persistence on attacking over a packed midfield. Admittedly though, in that 50th-65th minute span, they have been relentless in attacking.

As soon as they got the goal, the momentum was theirs, until they fell asleep on defense and conceded yet another goal.

Frustrating.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Spot on, Who.

Although they did try attacking wide in the last 20 minutes, there was such persistence on attacking over a packed midfield. Admittedly though, in that 50th-65th minute span, they have been relentless in attacking.

As soon as they got the goal, the momentum was theirs, until they fell asleep on defense and conceded yet another goal.

Frustrating.

Nothing is more frustrating than seeing your attacking players attempting to pass the ball through a picket fence.  I agree with Who that it is best to attack the parked bus by utilzing pace and width to cross into the box from the wings.  Of course, some tall players with aerial ability who are actually in the box also needed.  This is why I hoped we would hang onto Dzeko for one more season. 

I'm absolutely dreading City's CL Group fixture at Mönchengladbach tomorrow.  Reading your posts about Arsenal and Chelsea today has only deepened the sense of panic and terror that grips me... :'(  Surely, surely, surely, Pellegrini will pair the Two Ferns in front of the back line and push Yaya further forward, right?  ::)

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 04:05:13 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
There are 3 ways overcome such a defensive line

1)pass through it
2)wing play
3)long shots

the first options works only if you are barcelona (or maybe bayern)
the other two force the defenders to cover more space and leave more open space (which arsenal is great in taking advantege of)
but there should be someone in the box to collect the ball. arsenal doesn`t have a player to play this way.

BTW Roberto is very good keeper !!!

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:42 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
There are 3 ways overcome such a defensive line

1)pass through it
2)wing play
3)long shots

the first options works only if you are barcelona (or maybe bayern)
the other two force the defenders to cover more space and leave more open space (which arsenal is great in taking advantege of)
but there should be someone in the box to collect the ball. arsenal doesn`t have a player to play this way.

BTW Roberto is very good keeper !!!

I think Pellegrini is missing a trick by not instructing our players to set Yaya and Fernandinho up for shots from just outside the box when the bus is parked in front of us.  They can be deadly from there, especially Toure, and there is always the possibility of a rebound.  Against the parked bus, failure results in being cheaply and quickly dispossessed, which can open up the quick counter. 

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 04:56:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Arsenal are not serious.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Looking forward to viewing Bayern at Arsenal and Chelsea at Dynamo Kiev today. 

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Can't believe we beat Bayern Munich, even after Munich controlled most of the game.

David Alaba, a world class Full Back, got scorched by Hector Bellerin. It seems like Barcelona has found their RB of the future in him.   ;) (DON'T SELL HIM, ARSENE)

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Can't believe we beat Bayern Munich, even after Munich controlled most of the game.

David Alaba, a world class Full Back, got scorched by Hector Bellerin. It seems like Barcelona has found their RB of the future in him.   ;) (DON'T SELL HIM, ARSENE)

Viewed the match, and Arsenal were fantastic.  A heady, disciplined performance - Bravo!  I would expect your club to experience a big positive carry-over effect in coming PL matches.

Other than United, I cannot think of another club I loathe more than Bayern... ;D

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
God bless Sevilla FC...!

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
and Arsenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
And release his righteous justice upon Manchester United.  I'd love to see them schooled by Liverpool FC in the Europa league. Then they shall know gegenpressing is not a new way to iron clothes
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kinda disappointed Chelsea won. I wanted them to lose so Mourinho would get fired.

Stuck with him now.

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
That didn`t help MU get rid of LVG.....

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Arsenal broke through after losing the their first 2 games.

Wenger really need to buy players this January if we're going to continue from this.