Author Topic: Idea: Trade to Reduce Roster Crunch and Add Long-term Value  (Read 2995 times)

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Morris is the odd man out and he said it himself. I'm for moving him if everyone is coming back healthy for the start of the season. Additionally, Nader needs to go to sign Bird. I think a trade of Morris and Nader to MIN for the rights to Keita Bates-Diop and the MIA 2019 2nd would make sense for both sides. C's need cap and roster space but don't want to move Morris for nothing. Bates-Diop is an interesting wing prospect that could either sign a 2-way or a rookie minimum (not sure if MIN had signed him yet.) Thibs needs a veteran wing and doesn't have the cap space to go out and sign one, getting Morris on his steal of a contact would be huge for their team.

Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford
Rozier/Smart/Ojeleye/Theis/Baynes
Wanamaker/Bird/Bates-Diop/Yabusele/Williams

Or Allen/Bates-Diop on the Red Claws and C's keep a roster spot open.

Re: Idea: Trade to Reduce Roster Crunch and Add Long-term Value
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:31:01 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I agree dumping Morris would be good for our cap health.

We should be able to get a late first for him tho IMO. He's a bargain contract and plays great D against LeBron. Some playoff team should want him.

Toronto in particular has TWO trade exceptions which could fit Morris. And they desperately need wing help, especially against LeBron.

Portland also has one, as does Cleveland.

Minnesota, Utah, Indiana, and Philly could all likely fit him into cap space as well.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I agree dumping Morris would be good for our cap health.

We should be able to get a late first for him tho IMO. He's a bargain contract and plays great D against LeBron. Some playoff team should want him.

Toronto in particular has TWO trade exceptions which could fit Morris. And they desperately need wing help, especially against LeBron.

Portland also has one, as does Cleveland.

Minnesota, Utah, Indiana, and Philly could all likely fit him into cap space as well.

Not anymore :)
That time has passed.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd wait to see what happens with Smart before moving Morris. If Smart resigns for more than a year I'd even move Rozier and Morris. All depends on what happens. If Smart stays on QO I'd only move Morris.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 07:03:23 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Yeah, Morris played well for us this year and gave us some great memories, but it's time for both parties to move on.  He won't get the minutes he deserves here, and he does deserve minutes.  And we need to delay the tax, and try to retain both Smart & Baynes.

With how stingy the league has been with 1st rounders I'm not sure what to expect for him, but the proposed deal of Morris and Nader for KBD and really any 2nd from Minny sounds good.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Trading Morris and only getting back the 48th pick in the draft would be a poor return
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Trading Morris and only getting back the 48th pick in the draft would be a poor return

Yeah, agreed, but is this really about the direct return? 

Isn't it more like we'd get Smart and #48 for Morris, or the ability to delay the tax a year + #48, giving us an extra year as a superteam after GSW will have almost certainly dissolved?

I would certainly like more than the #48 pick, but I'm not sure we can bank on that.

This reminds me more of the AB trade last year where we got Morris.  I was pretty bullish on that, creating a thread about how the trade was better than it looked.  Could this be similar?

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:24:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Isn't it more like we'd get Smart and #48 for Morris, or the ability to delay the tax a year + #48, giving us an extra year as a superteam after GSW will have almost certainly dissolved?

I would certainly like more than the #48 pick, but I'm not sure we can bank on that.

This reminds me more of the AB trade last year where we got Morris.  I was pretty bullish on that, creating a thread about how the trade was better than it looked.  Could this be similar?
Plus, KBD is actually a really solid player. An absolute steal at #48. I would be happy to get him, as he would likely be better than most second rounders
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Plus, KBD is actually a really solid player. An absolute steal at #48. I would be happy to get him, as he would likely be better than most second rounders

That’s what I hear. I’ve never seen, but multiple posters I trust wanted him in the mix at #27 and thought he could contribute up to 10-15 minutes a game this year.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That’s what I hear. I’ve never seen, but multiple posters I trust wanted him in the mix at #27 and thought he could contribute up to 10-15 minutes a game this year.
Yeah, I could have pictured that easily. I doubt many foresaw Williams falling to us though.

But the guy was the Big Ten POY averaging almost 20/9 with solid defence. Really good pickup at #48
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Yeah, I could have pictured that easily. I doubt many foresaw Williams falling to us though.

But the guy was the Big Ten POY averaging almost 20/9 with solid defence. Really good pickup at #48

KBD being picked at 48 is why I targeted MIN in this deal. I feel like him and another 2nd is good trade value for Morris. We aren't going to get a first for his expiring, but targeting a player who was just drafted and projected as a first rounder would be good compensation especially with another asset.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

KBD being picked at 48 is why I targeted MIN in this deal. I feel like him and another 2nd is good trade value for Morris. We aren't going to get a first for his expiring, but targeting a player who was just drafted and projected as a first rounder would be good compensation especially with another asset.

I think it's a good deal, honestly.  And more impressive, it kind of makes sense for Minny too. 

Perhaps it's time to start hitting up Chipotles near Celtics offices, and give DA the good word.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think C's will be giving up something to move Morris in a salary dump. Don't think GMs are asking about his availability. Useful enough in the right situation, but JAG.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I might be in the minority but I think we can get a lottery protected first similar to the Clipper’s pick.  Morris can put up 20 on an given night, and plays solid D.  That’s not a common find after the lottery.  He’s on a 1 year deal, but on a great contract.

A very good site called Boston Sports journal recently had an article on projected trade value of players on the team by asking people around the league.  They felt his value is in the 16 to 24 range of the first round.