Author Topic: My 2020 draft recap  (Read 2624 times)

My 2020 draft recap
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Before Free agency and the Hayward drama erupts here are my two cents on the draft.

Picks I liked

#8 NYK Toppin, I was never a fan of Toppin to the Cs because I do not think he a guy a team can win with. However for the Knicks he will be a potential ROY and create some excitement for the franchise. The rumor was they would have to trade up for him so getting him at #8 worked out well.

#11 Spurs Vassell
, just felt like a really good fit for a team that needed a young wing. Developing as a Spur will greatly help his ultimate outcome as a player.

#12 Kings Haliburton, my fear was that we would see Haliburton miss cast as a primary play making PG. By going to the Kings he gets to play in his ideal role along side Fox he should thrive.

#18 Mavs Green #31 Mavs Terry, If you are creating the ideal player types to put next to Luka they would be elite defensive wing and elite shooting PG. If they can develop Green and Terry fills those roles perfectly. This is BPA meets fit.

#24 Nuggets Hampton, he has the long term ceiling to be the top player in this draft. His potential fit next to Murray is a steal at 24. 

#35 Grizz Tillman, ESPN reported medical and conditioning concerns for Tillman but if healthy he is a great long term fit as the bull next to his college teammate JJJ.

Picks I didn't Like

#4 Bulls P Williams, I like Williams a lot as a prospect but on the Bulls I worry he is going to be miss cast as a wing. With two young bigs Marrkaned and Carter already on the roster the clearest path to minutes for Williams will be at the 3. I have always viewed Williams as a higher ceiling Grant Williams Type, a player better suited to play a more traditional PF role and thrive as a small ball big man. [pick only works if they plan to trade a big away in the next year, otherwise I would have taken Okoro]

#6 ATL Okongwu, if there isn't a trade in the works then the Suns just drafted a backup to Capela at #6 or best case he beats out Capela and they will be trading him away at now diminished value. [ I would have taken the versatility and play-making  of Advija instead]

#10 Suns J Smith, I get the logic of having a 3pt shooting rim protector next to Ayton but I do not think they will be able to play both bigs together because of Smith lack of lateral mobility. If that's the case they just spent the #10 pick and passed on Haliburton and Vassell for a 13mpg back up center. [ I would have taken Haliburtin to backup and play along side Paul and Booker, a much more valuable bench role then center]

CELTICS DRAFT

#14 Nesmith, time will tell and I trust Ainge but I have concerns about Nesmith as a defender and his offensive skill set outside of his 3pt shot. At least he worked out for the Celtics so the fact that they drafted him eliminates my worries that he isnt athletic enough to be an NBA wing. [ I wanted them to take Hampton, Anthony or Maxey]

#26 Pritchard, I really like Pritchard as a long term backup PG, with that I dont like the idea of drafting a projected backup PG in the 1st round. This seems like it could have been a trade down to the high 30s but maybe the market for a trade wasn't there. [ I wanted Tillman, Azunuike, or Bane (if they hadn't just taked Nesmith)]

# 30 trade out
this was predictable but disappointing that they had to settle on 2 2nds. [ I wonder if trading #14 for a future 1st and just drafting Bane at #30 was a smarter long term move. ]

#47 Madar, if the roster construction dictated that this had to be a draft and stash then I like the pick and think he could help down the road. [If they could have opened up the space Mannion, Stanely and Scrubb would have all been interesting ceiling picks.]

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: My 2020 draft recap
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

# 30 trade out this was predictable but disappointing that they had to settle on 2 2nds. [ I wonder if trading #14 for a future 1st and just drafting Bane at #30 was a smarter long term move. ]

#47 Madar, if the roster construction dictated that this had to be a draft and stash then I like the pick and think he could help down the road. [If they could have opened up the space Mannion, Stanely and Scrubb would have all been interesting ceiling picks.]

I think these two picks could have been used on bringing a veteran role player like pj tucker...
Now there is a very remote chance of anything coming out of the return we got for them
I’m ok with the other picks but we probably have to give them qute a bit of time before relying on them to fill bench minutes or specific roles

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

# 30 trade out this was predictable but disappointing that they had to settle on 2 2nds. [ I wonder if trading #14 for a future 1st and just drafting Bane at #30 was a smarter long term move. ]

I think these two picks could have been used on bringing a veteran role player like pj tucker...
Now there is a very remote chance of anything coming out of the return we got for them
I’m ok with the other picks but we probably have to give them qute a bit of time before relying on them to fill bench minutes or specific roles

I will say that I think Pritchard will be ready to play from day one. He will give the Cs a competent backup to Kemba as a rookie.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Nice recap....

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I don't see a reason to worry about Nesmith on defense. He's a smart defender that works hard, with a 6'10" wingspan. Brad has always gotten the most out of his wings on defense.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:36:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I don't see a reason to worry about Nesmith on defense. He's a smart defender that works hard, with a 6'10" wingspan. Brad has always gotten the most out of his wings on defense.

his lateral quickness was my concern on defense. Watching him he seemed to move laterally like a bigger player then he is. I am more confident given the fact he worked out for the Cs and that will give then a clearer view of his pure athletic abilities.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Before Free agency and the Hayward drama erupts here are my two cents on the draft.

Picks I liked

#8 NYK Toppin, I was never a fan of Toppin to the Cs because I do not think he a guy a team can win with. However for the Knicks he will be a potential ROY and create some excitement for the franchise. The rumor was they would have to trade up for him so getting him at #8 worked out well.

#11 Spurs Vassell
, just felt like a really good fit for a team that needed a young wing. Developing as a Spur will greatly help his ultimate outcome as a player.

#12 Kings Haliburton, my fear was that we would see Haliburton miss cast as a primary play making PG. By going to the Kings he gets to play in his ideal role along side Fox he should thrive.

#18 Mavs Green #31 Mavs Terry, If you are creating the ideal player types to put next to Luka they would be elite defensive wing and elite shooting PG. If they can develop Green and Terry fills those roles perfectly. This is BPA meets fit.

#24 Nuggets Hampton, he has the long term ceiling to be the top player in this draft. His potential fit next to Murray is a steal at 24. 

#35 Grizz Tillman, ESPN reported medical and conditioning concerns for Tillman but if healthy he is a great long term fit as the bull next to his college teammate JJJ.

Picks I didn't Like

#4 Bulls P Williams, I like Williams a lot as a prospect but on the Bulls I worry he is going to be miss cast as a wing. With two young bigs Marrkaned and Carter already on the roster the clearest path to minutes for Williams will be at the 3. I have always viewed Williams as a higher ceiling Grant Williams Type, a player better suited to play a more traditional PF role and thrive as a small ball big man. [pick only works if they plan to trade a big away in the next year, otherwise I would have taken Okoro]

#6 ATL Okongwu, if there isn't a trade in the works then the Suns just drafted a backup to Capela at #6 or best case he beats out Capela and they will be trading him away at now diminished value. [ I would have taken the versatility and play-making  of Advija instead]

#10 Suns J Smith, I get the logic of having a 3pt shooting rim protector next to Ayton but I do not think they will be able to play both bigs together because of Smith lack of lateral mobility. If that's the case they just spent the #10 pick and passed on Haliburton and Vassell for a 13mpg back up center. [ I would have taken Haliburtin to backup and play along side Paul and Booker, a much more valuable bench role then center]

CELTICS DRAFT

#14 Nesmith, time will tell and I trust Ainge but I have concerns about Nesmith as a defender and his offensive skill set outside of his 3pt shot. At least he worked out for the Celtics so the fact that they drafted him eliminates my worries that he isnt athletic enough to be an NBA wing. [ I wanted them to take Hampton, Anthony or Maxey]

#26 Pritchard, I really like Pritchard as a long term backup PG, with that I dont like the idea of drafting a projected backup PG in the 1st round. This seems like it could have been a trade down to the high 30s but maybe the market for a trade wasn't there. [ I wanted Tillman, Azunuike, or Bane (if they hadn't just taked Nesmith)]

# 30 trade out
this was predictable but disappointing that they had to settle on 2 2nds. [ I wonder if trading #14 for a future 1st and just drafting Bane at #30 was a smarter long term move. ]

I hate Miami Heat drafting Achiuwa

If he reaches his potential. It is going to be difficult to drive in against Bam and Achiuwa

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Picks I liked

#11 Spurs Vassell

Picks I didn't Like

CELTICS DRAFT

# 30 trade out

I hate Miami Heat drafting Achiuwa

If he reaches his potential. It is going to be difficult to drive in against Bam and Achiuwa

I have a love/hate with the pick. Precious is the perfect backup for Bam but unless his shooting develops dramatically he isn't a great fit next to Bam. At #20 I have no doubt that this is a great value pick but I wonder if playing behind Bam will stunt Achiuwa's development. On most teams he would have been a bench player who can come in and provide more energy, rebounding and defensive versatility then the Center he is backing up. On the Heat he will likely serves as an effective stop gap while Bam rests.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet