Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 64003 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
"It's true that sometimes you just agree with a post and don't necessarily have anything to add but the only way to express that agreement is with a new post. I would use an agree button a lot."

^Agree. This would save time reading through posts like "TP to the original poster" and "+1" or even the worst of all "This."

Yeah, I know some people don't like having the "Soandso likes this" message at the bottom of posts because it seems a bit Facebook-esque, but I personally think it beats the hell out of wading through a wall of "TP" "^this" "I agree" and other empty posts.

IMO, a regular "like system", better image support, and a notification system would go a long way in making this community (and the new site) more accessible and user friendly.

IMO an anonymous system like the one I linked above is much better than the one of FB.

« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I prefer the TP system. TPs aren't just given out for posts. They have a place in games and bets and are given out to show respect and as a sign of friendship. And they make Celticsblog unique. I wouldn't change things at all. Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments. I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

« Reply #227 on: September 13, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
"It's true that sometimes you just agree with a post and don't necessarily have anything to add but the only way to express that agreement is with a new post. I would use an agree button a lot."

^Agree. This would save time reading through posts like "TP to the original poster" and "+1" or even the worst of all "This."

That's me.  ;D

Hey that’s me too  :P

« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's me.  ;D

Hey that’s me too  :P
Of course the proper response to the original post should have been: "This^^^"

« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I prefer the TP system. TPs aren't just given out for posts. They have a place in games and bets and are given out to show respect and as a sign of friendship. And they make Celticsblog unique. I wouldn't change things at all. Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments. I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

I'm not advocating for a complete overhaul of the TP system, nor do I think that making "likes" (or "TP giveth"?) un-anonymous would get rid of all of those empty posts.  But I do think it would greatly reduce them and combined with a notification system provide a much cleaner and efficient browsing experience.

But that's just my 2 cents coming from someone who mostly just lurks anyways

« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I prefer the TP system.

TPs are perfectly compatible with the changes discussed above. No one advocated abolishing TPs.

Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments.I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

My own experience is very different. Which social media are you talking about?

I previously mentioned Paradox Plaza because it is very civil and because it's also a forum not unlike the one we have here. I don't recall ever seeing a "this ^^^^" there.

« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Awesome news on the upcoming rebirth! I appreciate the efforts of those making it happen.

I’m an infrequent poster but daily lurker so please don’t delete “dead” accounts as suggested by some on the previous page.

I think people are misunderstanding the desire to get rid of 'dead' accounts (which I doubt is happening anyway). If you sort by post count, you'll see that from page 119-865 (over 37,000 accounts) are users who have never even posted one single comment. Only on page 94 do you even begin to see people who have posted more than once.

In this hypothetical world where we delete dead user accounts, we would literally only be deleting accounts of people who have never ever posted. It's amazing that 37000 of the over 43000 accounts have only ever created a user name, but never posted. It makes me think people are creating usernames just to give themselves TPs :o

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
A few more suggestions while we're at it:

- It would be great if we could embed Youtube videos again
- Consider changing the background color of the forum.  Reading text on a white background hurts my eyeballs - basically like staring into a lamp.

Thanks.

« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

- Consider changing the background color of the forum.  Reading text on a white background hurts my eyeballs - basically like staring into a lamp.

Thanks.

New announcement coming soon, keep the feedback coming!

Regarding colors, we may be able to support an alternate "night" theme. I know the forums support user selectable themes, and we could take the existing layout but apply some new colors.

YouTube - good suggestion. Does anyone know history there of why it stopped being possible? Was there a community issue around it at all?

« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I prefer the TP system.

TPs are perfectly compatible with the changes discussed above. No one advocated abolishing TPs.

Also, a new system isn't going to stop the "Agreed", "This^^^", and other type comments.I see them all over the place on social media and site comments sections.

My own experience is very different. Which social media are you talking about?

I previously mentioned Paradox Plaza because it is very civil and because it's also a forum not unlike the one we have here. I don't recall ever seeing a "this ^^^^" there.

I like the TP counter. Maybe we can add some kind of indicator on the posts that get the TP.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks.

Regarding colors, we may be able to support an alternate "night" theme. I know the forums support user selectable themes, and we could take the existing layout but apply some new colors.

YouTube - good suggestion. Does anyone know history there of why it stopped being possible? Was there a community issue around it at all?

Being able to save messages (as you can do say, in reddit) would be great.

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Thanks.

YouTube being stopped was not a choice, but rather SBN hiring somebody to “upgrade” the forums who didn’t know what he was doing. He left them half-broken, including leaving YouTube disabled.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Thanks.

YouTube being stopped was not a choice, but rather SBN hiring somebody to “upgrade” the forums who didn’t know what he was doing. He left them half-broken, including leaving YouTube disabled.

Thanks Roy. I'll check where that feature lives and make sure it comes back!

« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks.  I was wondering what the heck happened to being able to embed YouTube vids. 

Good to know about the color schemes too.  Obviously we have to keep green and white, but as long as having a non-white background is an option everything should be fine.

« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Thanks.

I know I have had trouble inputting an avatar for years. Is this a system problem or just me?