Author Topic: Grant Williams(merged threads)  (Read 37156 times)

Re: When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams’ shooting?
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I do think its funny that he and Thybulle were traded for each other (and Carsen)

http://bkref.com/tiny/NKRrt

Neither guy has been able to find the bottom of the net much.

Grant wasn’t traded for Thybulle.  The Celtics got pick 24 and the pick which became Carsen, and traded pick 24 to Phoenix.  Grant was selected at 22 with our own pick.

I can see the confusion, though. Thybulle was taken with the 20th pick that we sent to PHI, but would we have still taken Grant at #20 or would we have taken Thybulle (or...Brandon Clarke...bummer)? Glad we were able to get Carsen out of the deal, though.

I think we would have taken Thybulle? The rumor is that Ainge picked Thybulle and then called Philly, as opposed to Philly telling Ainge who to pick.  Memphis clearly believed we’d have picked Clarke at 22 tho, since they jumped from 23 to 21 to get him.

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we would have taken Thybulle? The rumor is that Ainge picked Thybulle and then called Philly, as opposed to Philly telling Ainge who to pick.  Memphis clearly believed we’d have picked Clarke at 22 tho, since they jumped from 23 to 21 to get him.
Lowe and others have reported that Ainge knew Philly was in love with Thybulle (and had promised to pick him)

He was picked specifically to extract a ransom. Though I am sure Ainge was prepared to keep him if Philly didn't play ball.

I really think Ainge must have had Clarke and Williams as equal on his board to make that play.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lowe and others have reported that Ainge knew Philly was in love with Thybulle (and had promised to pick him)

He was picked specifically to extract a ransom. Though I am sure Ainge was prepared to keep him if Philly didn't play ball.

I really think Ainge must have had Clarke and Williams as equal on his board to make that play.

Yes, that’s what I meant.  If Ainge couldn’t extract the ransom, he had to be willing to keep him, and therefore liked him enough.

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Btw, I don’t agree with some people on here who like his stroke.

He shot around 40% on threes in the preseason (12 attempts, but still), and shot around 37% in Summer League.  He put up 3-4 shots from outside in those games.

Yes, I noticed. But I was talking about his stroke.  Who needs a shot doctor if it’s going in?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He shot around 40% on threes in the preseason (12 attempts, but still), and shot around 37% in Summer League.  He put up 3-4 shots from outside in those games.

Yes, I noticed. But I was talking about his stroke.  Who needs a shot doctor if it’s going in?

Well, exactly.

His shot isn't going in right now, but we have enough previous evidence to suggest that, however his shot might look, he's been able to get the ball to go in the basket a good percentage of the time.

His misses so far in NBA games that count I attribute to a lack of rhythm and his being a rookie sharing the court with better / more established players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Rookie plays meaningful minutes for 1st place team, fans deeply concerned.
Hahahaha TP. Thank you.

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36
When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams shooting??

Maybe when he stops impacting games. His defense and passing have been really good for a rook.
There was a time not so long ago Marcus Smart couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when shooting 3's. Now look at him.
Look, guys need to have time to develop and even more importantly, they need to feel like team is behind them when things aren't going well. We just need to take a breath and let these guys develop.

I believe one thing Brad does well is he gives guys the chance to shoot in live action, even when they are struggling. This may come from his college coaching days... But it seems like we have had guys come to Boston since Stevens has been here and flourish under him, or leave and not play as well. You have to cultivate the confidence in guys in order to unlock their potential. This team we have now is the perfect environment for our newbies.

It also seems that the C's have a pretty good system in place for helping guys to become decent to good shooters of the long ball. Baynes, Smart and even Theis are examples of players that have shown improvement during their time in Boston.

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Hahahaha TP. Thank you.

X2 :)

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 07:09:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He just lacks confidence at this time

When he shot the open 3 yesterday , I hated how he didn't hold his follow through.   He does this on the FT line

He will be fine. He was making the 3s during pre season. 

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2019, 07:45:00 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Well, exactly.

His shot isn't going in right now, but we have enough previous evidence to suggest that, however his shot might look, he's been able to get the ball to go in the basket a good percentage of the time.

His misses so far in NBA games that count I attribute to a lack of rhythm and his being a rookie sharing the court with better / more established players.

Exactly.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is where I expected him to be so I'm not concerned.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
This is not a defense of Grant Williams shooting in his 150 minute NBA career. It is non existent.

2632 minutes
946 attempts
488 field goals
1462 points in 92 starts at Tennessee

15.9 ppg
51.6 FG%
 Senior year he was 83% from the line

Not a three point shooter. Don't know if that will ever change. He is, after all, on the court with three or four other guys who can fill it up and are doing so before our very eyes.

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2019, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Very good form and rotation on his free throw shooting - he will be fine. He is never going to be a knock-down guy. He is going to be one of those key players that championship teams covet who do a whole bunch of important things well and who doesn't make many mistakes. Even now, his team defense is beautiful - you can tell he understands the concepts of where to be and when to help and also is a solid one-on-one defender. He will become the post version of Marcus Smart without the bad shots or emotional extremes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2019, 10:06:49 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Very good form and rotation on his free throw shooting - he will be fine. He is never going to be a knock-down guy. He is going to be one of those key players that championship teams covet who do a whole bunch of important things well and who doesn't make many mistakes. Even now, his team defense is beautiful - you can tell he understands the concepts of where to be and when to help and also is a solid one-on-one defender. He will become the post version of Marcus Smart without the bad shots or emotional extremes.

You think? Smart is all-world defense - one of the most impactful players I have ever seen on that end of the floor. Grant has potential to be an impact player, but can't imagine he will ever have the visual impact Smart has had. Furthermore, he really will have to learn how to somewhat shoot (and I believe he can) since his best position is not Center.

I like Grant; he seems like a good guy with a strong understanding of the game, but I do think he has been a tad bit overrated by fans thus far. Hopefully he can become better than a total zero on the offensive end and get some minutes at the 4 with Hayward out to show what he can really do.