Author Topic: Grant Williams(merged threads)  (Read 37067 times)

Re: When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams’ shooting?
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
ok fine

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some on the blog really wanted Thybulle over Grant. Last night, it wasn't close. Grant was the better more impactful player. I think it will stay that way for their careers.

What Jaylen did to Thybulle in that second half was ridiculous.

« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Some on the blog really wanted Thybulle over Grant. Last night, it wasn't close. Grant was the better more impactful player. I think it will stay that way for their careers.

GWill has gotten better as the season has gone along but Thybulle has looked like a Smart clone when I've seen him play.  I think Thybulle is going to be a very solid pro for a decade

« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Agreed

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

GWill has gotten better as the season has gone along but Thybulle has looked like a Smart clone when I've seen him play.  I think Thybulle is going to be a very solid pro for a decade

Maybe

He lacks offensive skills except as a spot up shooter. Cant create his own shot.  He hasnt shown lockdown defensive ability. Pretty versatile but is not strong enough at the moment

Could see a path where he turns out to be like a covington or ariza. But those guys are like 6'7-6'8(vs 6'4-6'5) and can guard more positions

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Agreed

Thybulle may have the better name and will be good contributor as a rotation player/starter.  Grant is bigger, taller and a full year and a half younger than Matisse.  Grant's body has a ways to go and he's already pretty strong and wide.  Also -- very smart and appears to be an extremely hard worker.  He also has offensive skills.  Solid young player for this team at 21 -- there's no telling how he'll progress.  Hope it's with the C's. 

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Agreed

Thybulle may have the better name and will be good contributor as a rotation player/starter.  Grant is bigger, taller and a full year and a half younger than Matisse.  Grant's body has a ways to go and he's already pretty strong and wide.  Also -- very smart and appears to be an extremely hard worker.  He also has offensive skills.  Solid young player for this team at 21 -- there's no telling how he'll progress.  Hope it's with the C's.

Can you explain body has ways to go?

He looks fit and strong

He looks slimmer from SL and much slimmer vs last season of college ball

What kind of body do you want from him?

Any slimmer and I think he loses his strength advantage.

Perhaps he could get even stronger and improve his explosiveness.  But this is a risk because it may decrease his agility and ability to jump

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Maybe

He lacks offensive skills except as a spot up shooter. Cant create his own shot.  He hasnt shown lockdown defensive ability. Pretty versatile but is not strong enough at the moment

Could see a path where he turns out to be like a covington or ariza. But those guys are like 6'7-6'8(vs 6'4-6'5) and can guard more positions
disagree on what he's shown so far.  like Smart when he started, was offensively limited.  he's already very good at stymying the person he's covering and pressuring the ball as well as playing passing lanes-->at least in the limited games I've seen of him.   

I think Smart will be the better player during their careers but I could see Thybulle being considered Smart-esque before long.

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:53 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Baby fat? Fat around stomach?

I am not seeing it.

Not surprising that you don’t see the ‘baby fat’ in this picture (btw thanks for posting the before/after, very informative). Even pro athletes suck it in when they’re showing off their abs. Go figure. But it’s plain to see when he’s moving around the court. It is not an illusion that has so many people remarking on it.

Do you have a profile picture, by any chance? It would be easier to see the forward tilt in the pelvis, the contents of the lower abdomen spilling forward and down, and the strongly forward curve in the spine in the low back.

‘Baby fat’ sure sounds condescending, but there’s some truth to it, too. That connective tissue layer that lies in front of the abdomen has more fat in babies. On Grant, as is typical of this body type, that layer is pulled down along with the tilt in the pelvis. Making the rectus (‘six pack’) tough and short like that is a typical response to it, but it’s ineffective at reversing the pelvic tilt.

As I said above, dieting will not reduce that fat layer, and as you point out, his overall body fat is already low. ‘Baby fat’ sounds like he ought to work harder or something, but nothing could be further from the truth. Grant is dedicated.

Turning to the 2018 image:

1) The counterrotation at the knees is problematic. Femurs rotate in (predictable with a forward-tilted pelvis), while the tibias rotate out; notice the characteristic bunching. Some degree of this is common; but there’s a lot of tilt, and consequently a lot of counterrotation on him. I’d say he’s got an elevated risk of quad tendinitis, and other knee injuries. Furthermore, you cannot get good joint tracking with so much conflict, so he’s got to do a lot of extra work just to run.

2) The shortening he’s put into his rectus is dragging on his rib cage. The forward head posture is consistent with that, though part of that is just what happens when you contract your abs to show them off. the drag on the rib cage makes more work for his breathing muscles.

Unless he gets to work on his body in a different way than can be seen in this image, he’s headed for back spasms when he’s 35, maybe even chronic low back pain when he’s 40.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2020, 11:48:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don’t care what anybody says, I LOVE me some grant Williams.

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2020, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I keep on forgetting that Williams is just a rookie.

Grant Williams thread
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
best game of the season ... I think we can all agree

It looks like Brad Stevens has loosen some restrictions on what Williams can do (vs endless setting picks and spot up 3s)

I also love the kid defense.  He knows when to overhelp and 80-90 percent of the time does not get burnt by it. 

Excellent block on Teague late in the game without fouling.  Lots of good things he does on the court that does not show up on the stat cheat.   Like a 10 year vet, cheat/illegal little hooks etc.  but somehow gets away with it  ;D

highlight from last night game vs Hawks - 13pts, 6 reb (3 offensive), 2 blocks, 2 assist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1ka8AtTNc
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:44:27 AM by Tr1boy »

Re: Grant Williams thread
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
@AdamHimmelsbach

Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye have an elite 96.2 defensive rating in their 131 minutes together, the third best defensive pairing among Boston's regulars. (Wanamaker/Theis, GWilliams/Theis)
12:39 PM · Feb 3, 2020·TweetDeck

Re: Grant Williams thread
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
A great role player.  Really fitting in.