Author Topic: What is Your Unpopular NBA Hot Take?  (Read 5685 times)

What is Your Unpopular NBA Hot Take?
« on: December 03, 2021, 10:29:24 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
This seems like a fun discussion to have, because we all have our dumb ideas that nobody else agrees with.

Mine is this:  I think Ja Morant is overrated at this stage in his career.

He's such a poor defender that it largely neutralizes his positive offensive impact.  This guy has Trae Young levels of defensive stink.  But while Trae is legitimately a superstar-level offensive force, Ja is just good.  Young gets criticized pretty heavily (and fairly) for his defense, while Morant seems to escape it.  Not really sure why that is.  Maybe just because nobody watches Grizzlies games. 

He's young.  He has plenty of time to improve.  He could push his offensive impact into that top-of-the-league tier that Trae is at, which would make the defense worth tolerating.  Or he could just, you know, get better at defense.  The guy is one of the premier athletes in the league.  No reason he can't be somewhere around average at the very least.  But for now, I think he's overrated. 

That's my hot take.  It's probably stupid.  It may look really stupid a year from now.  Feel free to call it out as such. 

What's yours?

Re: What is Your Unpopular NBA Hot Take?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would be okay with trading for Lebron James. JB would have to be dealt, but a couple years of Lebron with most of this group(Tatum, the Williams boys, Horford, Smart, Romeo, Kanter, etc.) is as close as we will be to a title since 2010.

I know posters here HATE Lebron, but him next to Tatum and a bunch of complimentary pieces gets the team a title. And I want to see more titles.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would be okay with trading for Lebron James. JB would have to be dealt, but a couple years of Lebron with most of this group(Tatum, the Williams boys, Horford, Smart, Romeo, Kanter, etc.) is as close as we will be to a title since 2010.

I know posters here HATE Lebron, but him next to Tatum and a bunch of complimentary pieces gets the team a title. And I want to see more titles.
had this happen when the premier member of the JKJB club posted this

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id trade Grant, Smart and a first for VanVleet. Feel VanVleet would be a solid long term PG here.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
A quickie one and done title with Le Bron beats no title at all.   The Lakers do it ALL the time , trade their young talent for the best possible star.  This works easier if you team is in CA. than Boston ….they are set up to cater to ever whim.  But you gotta try , like Raptors,  throw something at wall ,  eventually something decent will pan. 

So …it’s up to owners , GM and best players to convince the stars to come .  I know this sounds, bad , but unless you want to wait 40 years or tank then wait for that guy to mature ,  then the coddling guys like Le Bron and Harden could at least have a chance of working , which in my mind beats the treadmill of dread. .  There will be the total screw balls like Kyrie that not even KD or Lebron can control.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Me too. LeBron would be awesome with this group. Tatum as his #2. Fantastic opportunity to win titles over next 3 years.

LeBron is exactly what this team's offense needs with his ball-handling and playmaking ability. He would knit everything together and take this group to a Championship level.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Lakers can buy anyone they want, that’s why they don’t care about draft or young players…
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Lakers can buy anyone they want, that’s why they don’t care about draft or young players…
How is this an unpopular opinion, especially on a Celtics forum?

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I really don’t get this at all, as I have said when it was brought up in the past. This is the third season in a row Lebron or third of the last 4 he has battled injuries. How does he have years left of being a guy that can lead you to a title at this point (even alongside Tatum). Please look at his advanced stats. Also I certainly
Hate Lebron less as a player/personality  than I did in his cavs/Miami days. Aside from the slip up about China he hasn’t really done anything that has bothered me in many years and has done some cool stuff with his schools. He is just aging and not an mvp caliber player any more.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
So…if I was Brad , I would be plotting six ways from Sunday to figure out how to get KD to join Tatum and Williams boys . 

Boston could beat the tar out of the Nets with KD on the team .  I think Danny knew this all along .

There is no reason to give up ,  that’s why we need a GM like the Raptors have , one that will go for the best players no matter what.   

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I think Kyrie Irving is one of the biggest tools on Planet Earth, and his pathetic vanity amplified by the NBA platform he has is a human stain of the first order. I cannot stand him.

That's an unpopular take here...... right?

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm obsessed with adding Ben Simmons. I believe we should do whatever it takes to make the deal work as long as we keep both the Jays. Couldn't care less how many picks we throw in. Couldn't care less what the talking heads say on ESPN either, probably because I don't follow the mainstream media. Basketball-wise, Simmons is exactly what this team needs on both ends of the floor: a pass-first, low-usage ball handler who can switch ball screens on the perimeter. I would argue Simmons is the most versatile defender in the NBA. He'd be literaly the perfect fit in our defensive system. Not even Giannis would be a better fit in our defensive system. Obviously, Giannis is hands down a more versatile offensive player. I'd plan to use Simmons at Center or at PF when playing next to Horford.

Problem is, I don't think the Sixers are interested in dealing with us. Let's say we send them 4 firsts and 3 picks swaps. Would they still say no?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:27:37 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Sengun is empty calories. His ceiling a better passing version of EK Freedom without the rebounding.

How's that? Should be unpopular here because every player drafted with a pick the Cs traded is an all star.

Also G William's will have a better NBA career  than Thybulle.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I really don’t get this at all, as I have said when it was brought up in the past. This is the third season in a row Lebron or third of the last 4 he has battled injuries. How does he have years left of being a guy that can lead you to a title at this point (even alongside Tatum). Please look at his advanced stats. Also I certainly
Hate Lebron less as a player/personality  than I did in his cavs/Miami days. Aside from the slip up about China he hasn’t really done anything that has bothered me in many years and has done some cool stuff with his schools. He is just aging and not an mvp caliber player any more.
when he starts missing playoff games, that is when it will be a problem.  But James has never missed a playoff game in his career.  And this isn't the old days.  Everyone misses a bunch of games like Shaq used to back in the day.  I mean the Raptors won a title with Kawhi missing 22 regular season games.  Even last year, Giannis missed 11 of the 72 games (and then a couple in the playoffs).  The 17-18 Warriors had Steph miss 31 games, Durant miss 14 games, Draymond miss 12 games, and Klay miss 9 games.  Nick Young and his 80 games was the only guy on the roster that played more than 73 games. 

What matters is health at the end and in that James has been fine.  He misses time during the season to be ready for the playoffs.  And if he was on your team you'd want that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I'm obsessed with adding Ben Simmons. I believe we should do whatever it takes to make the deal work as long as we keep both the Jays. Couldn't care less how many picks we throw in. Couldn't care less what the talking heads say on ESPN either, probably because I don't follow the mainstream media. Basketball-wise, Simmons is exactly what this team needs on both ends of the floor: a pass-first, low-usage ball handler who can switch ball screens on the perimeter. I would argue Simmons is the most versatile defender in the NBA. He'd be literaly the perfect fit in our defensive system. Not even Giannis would be a better fit in our defensive system. Obviously, Giannis is hands down a more versatile offensive player. I'd plan to use Simmons at Center or at PF when playing next to Horford.

Problem is, I don't think the Sixers are interested in dealing with us. :(

Maybe they'll take mercy on us for handing them Thybulle on a silver platter, then passing on Maxey for Aaron NOsmith.

I get the temptation on Simmons, but that contract is pretty rough for a sensitive guy whose gonna get hack-a-shaqed to death...