Author Topic: What if: Cs decided to trade Tatum?  (Read 8258 times)

Re: What if: Cs decided to trade Tatum?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Realistically, you’re probably either getting

Package A: salary filler, 1 polarizing prospect and a bunch of picks+swaps.

Package B: all-star on the last years of his prime and a pick or 2.
Why is that realistic? Young stars would generate better returns than that.
Agreed. Those aren't the likely outcomes of trading a young All-Star like Tatum.
have to agree.  C's wouldn't ship Tatum for anything less than an MVP candidate coming back.  might mean adding something to Tatum to make it work but he's too good and important to this team to deal for spare parts or taking risks on players rehabbing their games physically/mentally.
An MVP candidate? There's 2-3 in the league -- Tatum ain't even close to bein' one of 'em -- and none of them is getting traded for Tatum. He'd almost certainly be the best player in the deal, but I think the Cs would hold out for either another All-Star, or 2 really good young players & change.

Yes, let’s trade a quarter for 3 nickel's. Top players under 25: #1: Luka #2: Tatum. Enough said.
If you don’t want participate in the discussion — maybe don’t? It’s a hypothetical discussion of the best package one guy could fetch, so relax.

I did want to participate. The hypothetical trade packages leave the C’s worse off. The other teams would be all over it, though.

Now that I think about it, don’t think I’d even trade Tatum for Luka. Jayson is a better shooter, rebounder, and defender. Just a better two way player.
? This is the only season where Tatum is averaging more rebounds than Luka, and Luka's career average is significantly higher than Tatum's. Confused by that statement.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Agreed. Those aren't the likely outcomes of trading a young All-Star like Tatum.
have to agree.  C's wouldn't ship Tatum for anything less than an MVP candidate coming back.  might mean adding something to Tatum to make it work but he's too good and important to this team to deal for spare parts or taking risks on players rehabbing their games physically/mentally.
An MVP candidate? There's 2-3 in the league -- Tatum ain't even close to bein' one of 'em -- and none of them is getting traded for Tatum. He'd almost certainly be the best player in the deal, but I think the Cs would hold out for either another All-Star, or 2 really good young players & change.

Yes, let’s trade a quarter for 3 nickel's. Top players under 25: #1: Luka #2: Tatum. Enough said.
If you don’t want participate in the discussion — maybe don’t? It’s a hypothetical discussion of the best package one guy could fetch, so relax.

I did want to participate. The hypothetical trade packages leave the C’s worse off. The other teams would be all over it, though.

Now that I think about it, don’t think I’d even trade Tatum for Luka. Jayson is a better shooter, rebounder, and defender. Just a better two way player.
? This is the only season where Tatum is averaging more rebounds than Luka, and Luka's career average is significantly higher than Tatum's. Confused by that statement.

You can't get fair value for Tatum...

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

You do Luka for Tatum. It’s not a matter of who is better, it’s a matter of the better fit. Luka fits better with Brown.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

You do Luka for Tatum. It’s not a matter of who is better, it’s a matter of the better fit. Luka fits better with Brown.

Dallas wouldn't do that. Is Dallas better with Tatum than with Luka? No. Boston would be better...

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I’m not sure that he would be a better fit. Doncic puts up Russell Westbrook like stats, but his team is barely over .500 and it’s not like he’s playing with bums either. Luka’s numbers are also down the last two years.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I’m not sure that he would be a better fit. Doncic puts up Russell Westbrook like stats, but his team is barely over .500 and it’s not like he’s playing with bums either. Luka’s numbers are also down over the last two years.

Tatum and Luka is a better pairing than Brown and Luka...

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2021, 08:34:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I’m not sure that he would be a better fit. Doncic puts up Russell Westbrook like stats, but his team is barely over .500 and it’s not like he’s playing with bums either. Luka’s numbers are also down over the last two years.

That I agree with. But I’d rather have a Tatum/Brown duo over Doncic/Brown.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2021, 08:36:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

That I agree with. But I’d rather have a Tatum/Brown duo over Doncic/Brown.

The best thing to do is to add to Taum and Brown.

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2021, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Bane would've been such a good fit with Tatum and Brown...

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 08:54:01 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think we’d need to target an aging top of the line all star like Dame Lillard to in theory accelerate our ability to compete now or another middle aged all star that secures a different position like KAT that we could build around. An argument could be made that we are wing/swing heavy so I could see a KAT trade benefitting both teams. With RWIII so cost controlled financially speaking it makes little sense especially with Big Al looking like a 25 year old version of himself.

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2021, 09:00:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Bane would've been such a good fit with Tatum and Brown...

Indeed. He certainly would have.

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Dallas wouldn't do that. Is Dallas better with Tatum than with Luka? No. Boston would be better...

Agreed. Dallas is not trading Doncic for Tatum any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2021, 09:16:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Agreed. Dallas is not trading Doncic for Tatum any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah, Doncic is that Dallas franchise.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Alright, in the spirit of what I stated upfront in the OP, here’s one I could see under the circumstances.

Celtics get: SGA, Gidday, Bazley, Clippers 2022 1st (via OKC), OKC’s 2023 1st, Houston 2024 1st (via OKC)
OKC gets: Tatum, Pritchard, Fernando

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2021, 09:55:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

didn't say Tatum was an MVP - mentioned they'd have to add something.  the point is, if Tatum were to be moved, that's the level of player you move him for.  you don't move your most valued team asset for lesser pieces.