Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 204061 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1200 on: March 04, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
You can't really expect me to believe you would trade Gortat/Boozer straight up for Lopez (which wasn't really the entire bottom line anyway)?
Yes I would because boozer is such a negative value with his contract, and overall hatred of him from members on this board, plus Lopez is the best player in the deal, gortat is a solid center but not near Lopez. Like I said I made mistakes by drafting high priced players like boozer and humphries and even Wallace to an extent
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #1201 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You can't really expect me to believe you would trade Gortat/Boozer straight up for Lopez (which wasn't really the entire bottom line anyway)?
Yes I would because boozer is such a negative value with his contract, and overall hatred of him from members on this board, plus Lopez is the best player in the deal, gortat is a solid center but not near Lopez. Like I said I made mistakes by drafting high priced players like boozer and humphries and even Wallace to an extent
Hatred for Boozer on this board? Am I missing something? I didn't know Carlos Boozer was so despised on this board.

I think he's a heck of a player. But, like a lot of offensive minded players, he gives as good as he gets. He's not awful on defense but he's not good either.

Boozer is a heck of a rebounder and a pretty good guy. Find it hard for anyone to hate on a good guy that can rebound and score. Wish the real life Celtics had some guys like that.

« Reply #1202 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Larry Sanders would have been a really interesting choice to put at power forward alongside Brook Lopez. An interesting option to partner with B.Lopez. A highly talented interior and mobile defensive player and rebounder.

With that first round pick Brooklyn had. Instead of it was Kawhi Leonard. I think it was Kawhi Leonard if I am remembering that right. Build a team around Kobe Bryant + Larry Sanders + Brook Lopez.

« Reply #1203 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Maybe I'm just really bored but I found myself back tracking the entire draft seeing what I could of done if I just stood pat and didn't make any trades. Really like what could of been. I want a re-do!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1204 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe I'm just really bored but I found myself back tracking the entire draft seeing what I could of done if I just stood pat and didn't make any trades. Really like what could of been. I want a re-do!
And so....the learning begins!!!

« Reply #1205 on: March 04, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
It's all in fun- you pulled off some good deals and kept a lot of our inboxes full, CP07. I enjoyed it top to bottom, even when I was b****ing at you to stop pitching 1-sided deals. You can question the methods, but you can't question the results.

I really did think, though, that one of us was going to force you to give up an asset when you were frozen there in the 9th round- and I thought that you were going to be the first of a few people. I was waiting into the late rounds for a bunch of trades where teams would be forced to part with good players in exchange for cap relief. If such a run on cap-relief had ever materialized, it would have been a major turning point. The fact that you escaped unscathed was a big deal. I really did think I was going to get Lopez or Dragic out of you for pennies on the dollar if I held out long enough.

« Reply #1206 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Yea I just kind of lost myself in the trades lol lesson learned
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1207 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9002028/the-best-bargains-nba

So who had guys on the bargain list? I had honorable mentions in Tobias Harris, Lance Stephenson, and Ryan Anderson, and 'dq's' in Kyrie Irving. StartOrien had two of the top 3 in KG and Duncan.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1208 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Tony Parker and Danny Green, as well as Carlos Delfino from the Honorable Mentions list. 

I'll take that.  Still staggered that I got Parker and a third for Wall. 

« Reply #1209 on: March 04, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

;D

« Reply #1210 on: March 05, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

definitely lots to learn from.  3rd year doing this and still trying to find the perfect nuances to getting a good team together.

Things I have learned though:
1. picking early in the draft rounds is usually preferable to picking early in the team draft.  The first few picks will always land you an all-star.  Depending on which team you end up with, you might be starting off with 1 all-star already.  Also, the early picks in rounds are worth more than their weight in gold for trades.
2. Don't trade for the sake of trading.  understood that some trades are made for the fun of the game but think those deals through before pulling the trigger.  if someone else really wants one of your guys, there's a reason they want to unload what they're offering.
3. Keep the first round pick unless offered a ridiculously lopsided deal in your favor.
4.there's lots of great value players through at least round 7.  Acquire as many picks prior to the 8th round as possible.  Move assets like higher picks and non-cornerstone players to upgrade lower picks into mid-range picks.  A high 2nd, 10th and 11th for a low 3rd, 6th and 7th will pay off in the long run most times unless by sheer luck a great player is there in the 2nd round.

just my insights.  please feel free to debate their merits.  I'd be interested in anyone with a different take on things.

« Reply #1211 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9002028/the-best-bargains-nba

So who had guys on the bargain list? I had honorable mentions in Tobias Harris, Lance Stephenson, and Ryan Anderson, and 'dq's' in Kyrie Irving. StartOrien had two of the top 3 in KG and Duncan.

Also Jared Dudley and Shane Battier, and JR Smith was ineligble b/c he was expiring but who is counting ya know? Dark horse eastern conference finalist MY BUTT

« Reply #1212 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

One thing that helps me when I'm building my team is that I try to compare them to an existing team. It's a lot easier if you have a bit of a design in your head - if you're trying to build a Memphis Grizzlies like team what parts do you need? What parts could you improve on? What players could fit those parts?

« Reply #1213 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

definitely lots to learn from.  3rd year doing this and still trying to find the perfect nuances to getting a good team together.

1. picking early in the draft rounds is usually preferable to picking early in the team draft.  The first few picks will always land you an all-star.  Depending on which team you end up with, you might be starting off with 1 all-star already.  Also, the early picks in rounds are worth more than their weight in gold for trades.
2. Don't trade for the sake of trading.  understood that some trades are made for the fun of the game but think those deals through before pulling the trigger.  if someone else really wants one of your guys, there's a reason they want to unload what they're offering.
3. Keep the first round pick unless offered a ridiculously lopsided deal in your favor.
4.there's lots of great value players through at least round 7.  Acquire as many picks prior to the 8th round as possible.  Move assets like higher picks and non-cornerstone players to upgrade lower picks into mid-range picks.  A high 2nd, 10th and 11th for a low 3rd, 6th and 7th will pay off in the long run most times unless by sheer luck a great player is there in the 2nd round.

just my insights.  please feel free to debate their merits.  I'd be interested in anyone with a different take on things.

Yea I think picking late in the teams/early in the rounds is the way to go. There were plenty of teams of the bottom five that I would of had no problem selecting and getting high picks.

I think Edgar's pick is a perfect example. He got Jefferson/Favors and then got to add Derick Rose to that group and continue to get high draft picks.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #1214 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yea I think picking late in the teams/early in the rounds is the way to go. There were plenty of teams if the bottom five that I would of bad no problem selecting and getting high picks.

I think Edgar's pick is a perfect example. He got Jefferson/Favors and then got to add Derick Rose to that group and continue to get high draft picks.

I think it depends.  The two best options to me are still landing the Heat or Thunder.  From there, it all gets pretty subjective.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes