Author Topic: Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine  (Read 7177 times)

Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
LAS VEGAS -- UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for traces of cocaine prior to his eighth title defense last weekend in Las Vegas, according to the Nevada State Athletic

Jon Jones tested positive for traces of cocaine and has admitted himself into a drug treatment center.
NSAC executive director Bob Bennett confirmed to ESPN.com on Tuesday that Jones, 27, tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. Jones informed the NSAC that he had admitted himself into a drug treatment center.

"Jones has checked himself into a rehab center," Bennett said. "And at this time, I would direct any further questions regarding his situation to Mr. Jones or the UFC."

The urine test sample was collected on Dec. 4 and analyzed by a WADA-approved lab in Salt Lake City. According to a lab report, results of the test were issued on Dec. 23. The test is considered an out-of-competition test, however, and according to WADA's banned substances list, benzoylecgonine is only banned in-competition.

Since benzoylegonine is not banned in-competition, the result of Jones' fight against Daniel Cormier on Jan. 3 will stand.

Jones' representatives did not immediately respond to request for comment.

"We support UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones' decision to enter a drug treatment facility to address his recent issue," the UFC said in a statement. "While we are disappointed in the failed test, we applaud him for making this decision to enter a drug treatment facility. Jon is a strong, courageous fighter inside the Octagon, and we expect him to fight this issue with the same poise and diligence. We commend him on his decision, and look forward to him emerging from this program a better man as a result."

Jones (20-1) is widely considered to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He defeated Cormier via unanimous decision Saturday at UFC 182.

"I am proud of Jon Jones for making the decision to enter a drug treatment facility," UFC president Dana White said in a statement. "I'm confident that he'll emerge from this program like the champion he truly is."

Jones' striking coach, Brandon Gibson, called Jones his "friend first."

"I'll be there for my friend through this challenging time," Gibson said. "I'll help him recover and do it for his family. Whatever he needs from me as friend, I'll be there to support him."

In May 2012, Jones was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence when he drove his car into a telephone pole in New York. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and was fined $1,000 and had his driver's license suspended six months.

He became the youngest champion in UFC history in 2011, when he won the title at age 23. His eight consecutive title defenses rank third all time in UFC history.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12129597/ufc-light-heavyweight-champion-jon-jones-enters-drug-treatment-facility?ex_cid=sportscenterFB

Re: Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Does this mean no Gustafsson rematch?  :-[
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Every athlete goes right in to rehab when something like this happens.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's not a performing enhancing drug so I don't care since he didn't have an unfair advantage over Cormier.  I just hope he doesn't become an addict.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I don't know who he is, but I would need to get dusted too to participate in such barbarism.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't know who he is, but I would need to get dusted too to participate in such barbarism.

Barbarism?

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:45:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's not a performing enhancing drug so I don't care since he didn't have an unfair advantage over Cormier.  I just hope he doesn't become an addict.

I believe he had an advantage due to him using this during his training.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney

Jon jones who is a MMA fighter is also the brother of chandler jones of the new england patriots

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I'm no expert on cocaine, but why do you believe that?

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney

Some people are saying if he was on it during any of the fights. He wouldn't be able to feel any pain from getting punches and etc
I believe mike tyson said he used cocaine before a fight but i could be wrong
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:11:16 PM by crownontherocks »

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Doesn't give fighters an edge in mma?
Not true. He would've been wired so many times.

Coke is just what you'd need to go deep in the 4th round against a punishing opponent like Cormier.
It's a stimulant.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Doesn't give fighters an edge in mma?
Not true. He would've been wired so many times.

Coke is just what you'd need to go deep in the 4th round against a punishing opponent like Cormier.
It's a stimulant.

There's no chance he's using it during the fights.  Come on.  I don't see how staying up until 5 am partying and dressing like an idiot would help you in a fight.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

What Is Cocaine?
Cocaine is benzoylmethyl ecgonine, a crystalline alkaloid from the coca plant. It acts as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, and anesthetic. Crack cocaine is another form of cocaine. I have made a separate fact sheet for crack, a derivative of cocaine hydrochloride.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/drugs/a/cocainefacts.htm

This means, he could take more pain just like Scarface.  An anesthetic would make one feel less pain in the ring.   It would also cause vaso-constriction which could make you bleed less.   It could increase motor activity as it is a stimulant.  It would make him feel more competent and superior.  I think these could give one an edge.

They have had guys fight on steroids in MMA.  It has happened a lot but they have got more serious about it as it went on.  At one time, it was a six month suspension now it is a year.

http://www.cagepotato.com/mma-steroid-busts-definitive-timeline/

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
who is going to beat this guy??  Absolute beast.  Gustafsson nearly broke his arm but still wouldn't tap out.

Cormier didn't have a chance

If you can turn back time i would love to see Jones vs Gracie or Shamrock or Silva

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Barbarism?

Ignorant comment from someone who doesn't know the sport.

I was a mixed martial arts fighter for five years during my undergraduate years.  It takes a special type of person to compete in this sport correctly.  Not only is it physically demanding (more than any other sport I've played), it's also incredibly mentally and emotionally demanding.  It takes a ton of mental fortitude to step in that ring knowing you're stepping into a great probability of pain and injury, not to mention the grueling task of making weight (especially for a thicker individual like myself).