Author Topic: Pistorius allegedly shot and killed his girlfriend  (Read 5948 times)

Pistorius allegedly shot and killed his girlfriend
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:10 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Re: Pistorius allegedly shot and killed his girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Found not guilty of the most serious charge of premeditated murder.  Judge did leave open possibility for culpable homicide.  Rest of verdict will come out tomorrow.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^ in addition, he's been found innocent of Dolus eventualis -- "it is enough to find someone guilty of murder if the perpetrator objectively foresees the possibility of his or her act causing death and persists regardless of the consequences," via The Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/dolus-eventualis-what-is-it-and-how-has-it-affected-the-oscar-pistorius-trial-9726275.html
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Scared little boy with a gun.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:22:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Found guilty of culpable homicide, which is like manslaughter.  Penalty can range from probation to 15 years in prison.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hopefully he gets serious jail time, but I have my doubts based on the judges statements.

Edit: and I read now from various legal experts he's unlikely to be jailed. Just a joke.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This case is so sketchy.  I'm of a mind that he may or may not have done it intentionally.  It's hard to put yourself in the shoes of a double aputee star (no pun intended) who is rich.  He had every reason to have a gun and had every reason to believe he was being burglarized.  But looking at the story closely and how he went about things makes me seriously doubt his innocence.  Very tragic situation.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
stop worshipping these people -- you don't know them.

At some point society has to come together and raise a singular voice against the corporations that put millions and millions of dollars into creating false images of people, and then in turn make billions and billions from selling those false images. When these people act true to who they are, the psyche of prosecutors, judges, and juries, are so far gone that they cannot even mete out justice to them.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
In all honesty, what does that post even mean? It's as muddled and open for intepretation as Rage Against The Machine lyrics.

Are you trying to say Pistorius was let off by the judge solely because he's a famous athlete? Are you just trying to say "marketing is bad?" Are you trying to say athletes shouldn't be role models?

More importantly, when does the buck stop? Do you stop paying for TV so you won't support the media contracts for sports teams? Stop buying apparel because the money is going to the wrong people? Stop surfing the internet so the clicks and traffic won't help the teams and players leverage ad revenue?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
pistorius shot and killed his girlfriend, who had locked herself into the bathroom adjoining the bedroom. these facts are not in dispute.
neighbors also heard a woman scream before the shots.
imagine you wake up and hear a noise in the bathroom. you are living with a girlfriend at the time, who is normally next to you in bed. in what universe is it that you start shooting into your own bathroom before you figure out what's going on?
his story has ZERO credibility with me. he's a murderer and a bully. i don't see how anyone can believe his narrative unless they just really WANT to.
of course, 2+2=5 nowadays with the paranoid self-defense crowd.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I agree, but according to his story he was not in bed when he heard the "intruder".  However, he did have to walk past the bed and then retrieve his gun from under the bed.  I find it inconceivable that it did not occur to him that it might be her in the bathroom, or that he wouldn't check on her, or even notice that she wasn't in bed.
She wasn't just in the bathroom, she was in a locked toilet stall within the bathroom.  I assume she likely turned the bathroom light on.  Why would an intruder break in through the bathroom window, turn the bathroom light on, and then go into the bathroom stall and close the door?  It makes no sense.
It's also a little odd that she didn't speak up when he entered the bathroom and that she had locked the stall door.
Then armed with a gun, why would he not yell to the intruder asking him to identify himself before firing multiple shots? 
While the neighbors heard screaming, they also testified to hearing them argue late into the night.  How could the judge just dismiss that?

This whole thing stinks and a murderer got off lightly.  Just awful.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In all honesty, what does that post even mean? It's as muddled and open for intepretation as Rage Against The Machine lyrics.

Are you trying to say Pistorius was let off by the judge solely because he's a famous athlete? Are you just trying to say "marketing is bad?" Are you trying to say athletes shouldn't be role models?

More importantly, when does the buck stop? Do you stop paying for TV so you won't support the media contracts for sports teams? Stop buying apparel because the money is going to the wrong people? Stop surfing the internet so the clicks and traffic won't help the teams and players leverage ad revenue?

Stop worshipping people you do not know. They are not role models for anything other than their acquired skills. Yes to all your questions if you are doing it for hero worship.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He should go to jail and I would ban him from owning a gun ever again, were I the judge, he is careless with them.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i bet he wishes he played for the NFL. then all he would have to worry about would be a suspension. :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So is it really "allegedly" anymore?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team