Poll

Can the Celtics still win this series?

Yes, I have faith in them.
27 (79.4%)
No, I have hit the panic button!
5 (14.7%)
Where's my inhaler?  Why am I on this ledge?  Should I jump?
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: May 23, 2018, 01:31:48 AM

Author Topic: I'm not going to panic: Post-game 3 loss to Cavs  (Read 3326 times)

Re: I'm not going to panic: Post-game 3 loss to Cavs
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I never thought the Celtics would sweep Cleveland. The C's are a young team, and playing on the road for a young team can be a challenge. Especially without their number 1 and 2 scoring option.

The Cavs will seek their level in the coming games.

Remember...it's house money!

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I never thought the Celtics would sweep Cleveland. The C's are a young team, and playing on the road for a young team can be a challenge. Especially without their number 1 and 2 scoring option.

Same here, TP, for saying what I was thinking.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Brad will have them prepared. Perhaps they read too much of the newspaper clippings. Also didnt help that they put Brown in foul trouble early and he had to sit. He was the guy who allowed us to withstand Lebrons onslaught in game 2.

1. Celts were abysmal on defense. I dont expect that to continue. Brad will drill into them what they did wrong.

2. Celtics shot abysmal while the Cavs shot a ridiculous percentage on 3's. I dont see that continuing.

3. george hill more than doubled his shot total from games 1 and 2 combined. I dont see him/JR being as consistent as they were in game 3.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Why hasn’t there been a jinx thread to spur the Cs to victory.

ok i won't make a thread but here is a post for you. hope this helps!

CAVS In 6!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Brad will have them prepared. Perhaps they read too much of the newspaper clippings. Also didnt help that they put Brown in foul trouble early and he had to sit. He was the guy who allowed us to withstand Lebrons onslaught in game 2.

1. Celts were abysmal on defense. I dont expect that to continue. Brad will drill into them what they did wrong.

2. Celtics shot abysmal while the Cavs shot a ridiculous percentage on 3's. I dont see that continuing.

3. george hill more than doubled his shot total from games 1 and 2 combined. I dont see him/JR being as consistent as they were in game 3.

stop relying on jays and attack the rim like we did in games 1 and 2

make lebron take jays and keep him from hoop

cover other guys and we win.

we did the above in our wins and NOT in our losses. pretty simple.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not panicked because we were never supposed to make it this far with this many injuries anyways. And even just in terms of winning this series, I won't panic because it's common for teams that go up 2-0, especially when doing so in convincing fashion, to have a let down game.

Now, if the C's show up in game 4 with the same lack of effort and intensity they did in game 3, I'll be concerned about the prospects of winning this series. But I won't panic, coming as far we have is already a significant accomplishment.

As a final note, when these playoffs started the only thing I cared about was seeing how Tatum, Brown, and Rozier played in high pressure situations. Tatum and Brown have proven to me they are the real deal and must be held on to at all costs. Rozier has proven to be an above average starter and someone I'd love to keep, but have come to accept that if we do decide to forgo trading him, we'll likely lose him to free agency.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with what I've seen in these playoffs. And when Kyrie and Gordon return healthy next season the rest of the NBA better look the heck out. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:58:09 AM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I have said in other threads that this is more about how the Cavs play than how the Celtics play.  People seem to forget that the Cavs swept a very good Toronto team.  SWEPT!  The narrative following this was that Toronto choked rather than boy, these Cavs are good.  This is understandable after how the Cavs played against Indiana.

So we got two games in Boston against the Cavs team that went 7 against the Pacers and now one game in Cleveland against the team that swept the Raptors.  If the team that swept the Raptors continues to show up, the Celtics are in trouble.  This isn't about schemes or driving to the hoop more, that Cavs team is just better than this Celtics team.  But I just don't know what to expect from the Cavs.

Maybe after seeing Houston beat GSW, the Cavs decided hey, maybe we can win in the finals after all so what the heck, let's actually try to win this series.  Interesting to see how long that lasts.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
TP for this thread.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's going 7.  I don't know who is going to win -- my gut still says LeBron -- but I think it's going 7.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
these Cavs are good. 

No, they aren't.  They're a poorly coached team with very few plus defenders.  They have LeBron and they have Kevin Love.  Apart from that, mostly trash.

However, the Celts are a young, inexperienced team with inconsistent shooters that tend to perform poorly on the road.  Even at home, the Celts aren't a great offensive team by any means.  So that spells a seven game series where the Celts defend home court and it comes down to whether LeBron can dominate enough in a do-or-die game on the road.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
these Cavs are good. 

No, they aren't.  They're a poorly coached team with very few plus defenders.  They have LeBron and they have Kevin Love.  Apart from that, mostly trash.

However, the Celts are a young, inexperienced team with inconsistent shooters that tend to perform poorly on the road.  Even at home, the Celts aren't a great offensive team by any means.  So that spells a seven game series where the Celts defend home court and it comes down to whether LeBron can dominate enough in a do-or-die game on the road.

Was the team that swept the Raptors not good or is Toronto just a bad team (that won 59 games with a +7.8 Diff)?  Just bad timing?  Bad match ups?  Raptors choked?  Cavs defend fine enough when they want to as they showed last night and in the Toronto series.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Why hasn’t there been a jinx thread to spur the Cs to victory.

ok i won't make a thread but here is a post for you. hope this helps!

CAVS In 6!

No no no no...that is not the jinx. Remember in the first two series threads popped up about Cs chances in the next round before we clinched the series.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it's going 7.  I don't know who is going to win -- my gut still says LeBron -- but I think it's going 7.

I am close to that, I think it is either going 5 or 7.  Either we somehow win game 4 in Clev and then come home and win game 5.  Or, neither team is going to win on the other's floor and it will go 7.

I know we got blitzed in game 3, but I think our guys can rebound from a poor performance and have a chance in game 4.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fully expected everything that happened last night. After the Celtics won the first 2 games, my hope of getting one in Cleveland always hinged on game 4 or 6.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Was the team that swept the Raptors not good or is Toronto just a bad team (that won 59 games with a +7.8 Diff)?  Just bad timing?  Bad match ups?  Raptors choked?  Cavs defend fine enough when they want to as they showed last night and in the Toronto series.

Toronto is a great regular season team, a mediocre playoff team, and utter trash when they go against LeBron (i.e. they fall apart mentally).
- Mark Twain