Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 14983 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There are two concurrent changes to the starting line up that occurred at the same time.  One is getting Smart in and the other is Morris.  I am all for (and have been since summer) starting another big and sitting one of the wings.  That big is currently Morris and the sitting wing is currently Hayward but it could be Brown or Tatum as well.  I think this is the right way to go in terms of getting another big on the court with the starting line up.

In terms of Smart in for Brown, that seems to be working but Smart is also a very reliable weapon off the bench.  I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer.  Smart is going to get his minutes when it matters either way.  For example, maybe the ideal starting line up is Irving, HAYWARD, Tatum, Morris, Horford.  Hayward can take on more ball handling than Brown I think.  I guess I just like Smart off the bench and he seems to like that too.

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the current rotation should remain in place for a while. 

The team looks best when the offense is clearly ordered around Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford, in that order.

Smart and Morris are good complements to the starting unit.

I like Hayward getting to be the main playmaker for the bench, with Rozier, Brown, and Baynes (occasionally Semi / Theis) complementing him.
I'd say it's currently more like Kyrie, Morris and Tatum in that order.  Horford can hit a bailout 3-pointer or post-up if nothing else is working.  Teams are collapsing on Tatum and I can't argue with that strategy.

I don't agree with assessment with respect to recent performances.  Last night Horford doing work inside and/or rolling hard to the rim was a key part of the offensive plan.  That provided balance to the offense that Morris simply can't.

Indeed, I think Morris taking so many shots especially early in the season was a symptom of the offense being in disarray, irrespective of the fact that he was hitting a lot of shots.

Morris may end up taking a good number of shots, but when Horford is heavily involved in offensive possessions, with an option to either go for his shot or find cutters / guys running off screens, the offense is much more efficient and there's more movement / involvement across the lineup.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2018, 01:41:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Dismantled the cavs with smart starting
Which would mean something if Lebron was still on the Cavs.  Definitely worth trying but need to see how it works against teams with a pulse.    ;D

Dismantled the knicks with smart starting
dismantled the bulls with smart starting

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2018, 02:04:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dismantled the cavs with smart starting
Which would mean something if Lebron was still on the Cavs.  Definitely worth trying but need to see how it works against teams with a pulse.    ;D

Dismantled the knicks with smart starting
dismantled the bulls with smart starting
Yeah, but as tazz said, they still need to beat a team with a pulse. I would have trouble picking up a pulse on the wrists of the Cavs but it wouldn't be impossible. The Knicks I would definitely need a stethoscope to pick up their pulse rate. But could be done. Neither, however,would make a difference against Chicago tonight. The whistle blew and the Bulls just laid over and died right on the spot, immediately.

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Jaylen doesn't seem to be having a problem with the bench role. Small sample but he's had his 2 best games of the season so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
If they don't hit another significant slump or losing streak then yeah hes earned the starting job the rest of the year.

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
thread needs a poll

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If it ain’t broke...

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If it ain’t broke...
TP...this is what it comes down to. If the Celtics are winning and everyone is happy and thriving in the roles they are playing, why change anything? Heck, it would not surprise me one bit if from now on, Hayward and Brown were the team's 2nd and 3rd highest scorers.....FROM THE BENCH!!!

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If it ain’t broke...
TP...this is what it comes down to. If the Celtics are winning and everyone is happy and thriving in the roles they are playing, why change anything? Heck, it would not surprise me one bit if from now on, Hayward and Brown were the team's 2nd and 3rd highest scorers.....FROM THE BENCH!!!
TP Nick, we might expect these strange stats on such a talented and deep team as we have.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2018, 12:36:27 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If it ain’t broke...
we just beat the wiz

Looking good so far

« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2018, 02:01:37 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Marcus brings so much more than stats. He made several plays tonight that don’t show up in a box score but created stuff for us.

Such a unique player. Guy never takes a play off. Would have loved to see him and KG together.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Marcus brings so much more than stats. He made several plays tonight that don’t show up in a box score but created stuff for us.

Such a unique player. Guy never takes a play off. Would have loved to see him and KG together.

Marcus impacts the game in so many ways that don't appear on the box score but appear numerous times in a game thread  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The reality is with Marcus and Kyrie together, Kyrie can play off the ball and that is very dangerous with other shooters on the court like Tatum and Hayward.

We simply could not do that with Brown in that lineup and Hayward was not ready yet to take primary ball-handling responsibilities, though I still think that is what Brad wants to do.

« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The reality is with Marcus and Kyrie together, Kyrie can play off the ball and that is very dangerous with other shooters on the court like Tatum and Hayward.

We simply could not do that with Brown in that lineup and Hayward was not ready yet to take primary ball-handling responsibilities, though I still think that is what Brad wants to do.
Of course you could play Brown with Kyrie. They did it for over 50 games last year very successfully. And you could play Irving off ball if Hayward is starting instead of Morris. The best starting lineup, and the one Stevens will eventually goes to whether this year or next is Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Kyrie. That didn't work to start the year because Hayward wasn't Hayward and Tatum, Horford and Brown were in such slumps, Brown being the worst and it got into his head.