Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 63954 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2018, 05:32:02 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
As a New Yorker, I need this forum to talk Celtics basketball.

I wish I could help, but I know didly squat about tech.

I have faith that this will work because we have loyal members and a great staff.

I’ve been here for 8 years now and the summers go by so much faster because of CB.

We are in good hands, ours.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I am not a tech guy, but, have been in business all of my life.

From what I've learned in business.

We have an asset here, The asset is all of us. We lend our time and eyeballs to this forum. A lot of well developed Celtic writers here...a lot. This is an asset that can be leveraged at the "new" location into advertising sales. SBNation is to be challenged for not having a notion of how to turn this asset into ad dollars.

Our writing and interaction is second to none and I am sure there will be plenty of clicks for whomever to monetize.

There must be an ad/click/monetizer firm out there somewhere who wants our fan demographic combined with our "moderated content". BTW dropping this bomb in July is tough as our numbers are thin now.

Has there been a traffic volume  stat analysis? I know our tech guys here can get this done.
Yes to all of this. Right now I'm working off of these stats, but I would agree there is more value here than just page views.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?action=stats

I agree with all the above, but I wanted to hop in and note that more than 1/3 of rollie mass’ posts have been new threads.

That's because he uses it like his personal diary where he creates a new thread for every daily thought he has on the same handful of players (Nader, Semi, now it's Williams). I've said it before, he needs to have his own sticky thread, maybe titled "Random Rollie Rants" or something to the like, where his thoughts go there, while eliminating a lot of the clutter of meaningless threads.

I checked and he's created 11 threads on Williams since we drafted him. That's 11 in 23 days.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:00:11 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'd recommend that someone figure out a quick and dirty annual cost budget sufficient to run CelticBlog forums on other software and/or hardware. Then determine if there are enough people interested in being subscribers at a reasonable price to sustain operations after SB Nation covers transition costs. Build in some cushion to upgrade as necessary or adjust for unmet subscriber expectations. It will give you a ballpark number to work with so you know whether it's viable proposition or wishful thinking before you get into doing the dirty work involved with a conversion.

I would certainly consider subscribing at a reasonable price.

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd recommend that someone figure out a quick and dirty annual cost budget sufficient to run CelticBlog forums on other software and/or hardware. Then determine if there are enough people interested in being subscribers at a reasonable price to sustain operations after SB Nation covers transition costs. Build in some cushion to upgrade as necessary or adjust for unmet subscriber expectations. It will give you a ballpark number to work with so you know whether it's viable proposition or wishful thinking before you get into doing the dirty work involved with a conversion.

I can understand some current members donating to a fund to get the new site up and running, but charging for a subscription will absolutely kill any chance of it surviving. Just look at things like iPhone apps - if something is free, the downloads are endless, but if something costs $.99, then people will find something else that similar, but free.

And while a number of hardcore members may stand by the new site with a cost, there will be almost no new members, and that is important in the sustainability of such a site. Also, how would you deal with lurkers? Is what we have to say that amazing that they will feel they absolutely need to pay to look at our comments? Many lurkers eventually become members.

tl;dr -  Advertising is the only real way for a new site's survival.

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I can understand some current members donating to a fund to get the new site up and running, but charging for a subscription will absolutely kill any chance of it surviving. Just look at things like iPhone apps - if something is free, the downloads are endless, but if something costs $.99, then people will find something else that similar, but free.

And while a number of hardcore members may stand by the new site with a cost, there will be almost no new members, and that is important in the sustainability of such a site. Also, how would you deal with lurkers? Is what we have to say that amazing that they will feel they absolutely need to pay to look at our comments? Many lurkers eventually become members.

Hybrid models also potentially work (subscription for an ad-free version, or some sort of bonus features for subscribers).  But yes, being purely subscriber based is death to any site like this, and frankly most any site at all.

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

We have an asset here, The asset is all of us. We lend our time and eyeballs to this forum. A lot of well developed Celtic writers here...a lot. This is an asset that can be leveraged at the "new" location into advertising sales. SBNation is to be challenged for not having a notion of how to turn this asset into ad dollars.

Our writing and interaction is second to none and I am sure there will be plenty of clicks for whomever to monetize.

There must be an ad/click/monetizer firm out there somewhere who wants our fan demographic combined with our "moderated content". BTW dropping this bomb in July is tough as our numbers are thin now.

Has there been a traffic volume  stat analysis? I know our tech guys here can get this done.
Yes to all of this. Right now I'm working off of these stats, but I would agree there is more value here than just page views.

I agree with all the above, but I wanted to hop in and note that more than 1/3 of rollie mass’ posts have been new threads.

I agree that subscription is not the model. The Celtics have a solid national base. Our forum creates a "product" that we could call "moderated content". It features many elements as is true with any pro sports team forum.

A tweet comes out and we dice it.We cover the NBA quite well.

We have writers with "speciaities." Salt is a financial master. Rolli can wander throughout this reality and still be a fan without anybody knowing how. We have writers who know more about potential 52 draft picks than the kid's own parents do. If Ainge has lunch somewhere? We just might know what he ate.

Keep it simple, we are high quality Celtics content. We will have our own "brand." This brand will market the site through our content and attract casuals visitors and others to our entertaining discussions. Who, I ask you, has Rick Flair during important victories? No one.

The forum has never been "out on it's own" and will be an entertaining and attractive website once it is.

Finally, ladies and gentlemen? We have one of the best teams in the National Basketball Association thus, making us one of the best forums in the NBA.

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2018, 09:26:12 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I agree that subscription is not the model. The Celtics have a solid national base. Our forum creates a "product" that we could call "moderated content". It features many elements as is true with any pro sports team forum.

A tweet comes out and we dice it.We cover the NBA quite well.

We have writers with "speciaities." Salt is a financial master. Rolli can wander throughout this reality and still be a fan without anybody knowing how. We have writers who know more about potential 52 draft picks than the kid's own parents do. If Ainge has lunch somewhere? We just might know what he ate.

Keep it simple, we are high quality Celtics content. We will have our own "brand." This brand will market the site through our content and attract casuals visitors and others to our entertaining discussions. Who, I ask you, has Rick Flair during important victories? No one.

The forum has never been "out on it's own" and will be an entertaining and attractive website once it is.

Finally, ladies and gentlemen? We have one of the best teams in the National Basketball Association thus, making us one of the best forums in the NBA.

This happening now as we head into an era that could produce unprecedented Celtics interest, is distressing.   I am relying on Cblog heros to keep this going.   This site isn’t just ‘fun’; it’s important. It matters at a high level to many of us. 

To those smart enough to know how — please keep it going.

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

^this. I lurked from 12-13 when I was around sixth grade to the 15-16 season or so before finally applying for an account, and a huge incentive of me joining was that an account is absolutely free. This forum is awesome content wise, with a good mixture of experts and rabid Celtics fans who are also civilized. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any means of payment except for mailing a small amount of cash to help you guys though :'(.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Can everyone just move over to the Boston Celtics subreddit.  This style of forum is outdated and browsing through pages and pages of comments is so last decade.

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Can everyone just move over to the Boston Celtics subreddit.  This style of forum is outdated and browsing through pages and pages of comments is so last decade.
I'd rather move to this app called discord. Greece666 has already made a server in the app related to this and I have to say it has been a great experience for me. If anyone doesn't like 4chan chatting culture we can always create a private server and create our own set of rules to filter content, while setting up a cheap site showing the invite link to the server.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:44:09 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Hybrid models also potentially work (subscription for an ad-free version, or some sort of bonus features for subscribers).  But yes, being purely subscriber based is death to any site like this, and frankly most any site at all.

Attempting to get by on (monthly subscription) donations could also work. No cost to use, but an optional one-time donation (or monthly/annual donation) that you can chose to do when you sign up and change at any time from your profile could work, too (like Wikipedia). It depends on the cost to run, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well I hope to God the site survives! This is the only place I come to chat on the internet and all this is happening when next year we are going to win the championship!!

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

one possible model to look at, if ads are the despicable yet unavoidable solution, is at SoSH. they feature ads, yet they are discreet. Also, if you are a member of SoSH the ads do not appear to you, only to lurkers.

in addition, they have set up a direct link to amazon, so if anyone goes to amazon from SoSH and orders something, SoSH benefits as well. i know that since members are occasionally urged to do their normal amazon holiday shopping through SoSH's link.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:48:23 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Celtics subreddit

I gave this site a try and it is not as good as a format as here.  We will have to do what we do though.

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd rather move to this app called discord. Greece666 has already made a server in the app related to this and I have to say it has been a great experience for me. If anyone doesn't like 4chan chatting culture we can always create a private server and create our own set of rules to filter content, while setting up a cheap site showing the invite link to the server.

Reddit and Discord are great (though I'm personally not a fan of Discord's interface in general), but they're not the same. r/bostonceltics is great for breaking news, but if I want actual basketball discussion I come here. Yes, you can have a meaningful discussion there, but the way threads and comments are affected by up votes (instead of comments) mean that any discussion of more than a few posts ends up buried where people will never see it. Have a good discussion with saltlover about what moves we can/can't make this summer? Good luck having anyone see it before lower-quality comments get up voted to more visibility, or newer posts knock that one off the front page.

There's a reason that a lot of people here use multiple sites. I come here because I like how the forum format structures discussions. If you just try to force everyone here into one of those other sites, you're just gonna end up losing a bunch of people.
I'm bitter.