Poll

How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?

Less than 440
440 (50 games, same per game as last season)
495 (50 games; 35 games at 9 per, 15 games at 12 per)
580 (66 games, same per game as last season)
672 (66 games; 40 games at 9 per, 26 games at 12 per)
790 (Low rotation minutes: 66 games, 12 minutes per game)
1,000 (Ninth man minutes, compare to Daniel Theis last year)
More than 1,000

Author Topic: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?  (Read 11259 times)

Re: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Very interesting take.   

Thank you. I'd rather be interesting than right.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Poll update:

I thought I was on the optimistic side.  But it turns out that the median (and the modal) response is more optimistic than mine.

So far the consensus is that Robert will play 790 minutes next season. Think for a moment about what that would mean - that's averaging low rotation minutes for essentially the whole season.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Poll update:

I thought I was on the optimistic side.  But it turns out that the median (and the modal) response is more optimistic than mine.

So far the consensus is that Robert will play 790 minutes next season. Think for a moment about what that would mean - that's averaging low rotation minutes for essentially the whole season.
I think he gets 8-10 a game basically every game because quite frankly there is no one else to play those minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Poll update:

I think he gets 8-10 a game basically every game because quite frankly there is no one else to play those minutes.

So I take it that you voted for 590 minutes? That's calling a season for him 66 games, to  accommodate for injuries and so on.

Now when you say "no one else to play those minutes" - do you mean that Theis and Poirier, Ojeleye, and the rest, are in a different category than Williams?

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Hopefully less than 5 MPG unless he makes the leap into a viable rotation center.
I'd be quite shocked if his MPG nearly halved
I'd be quite shocked if he gets that much burn again unless he really improves...

Did you not see improvement in Summer League? I did.

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hopefully less than 5 MPG unless he makes the leap into a viable rotation center.
I'd be quite shocked if his MPG nearly halved
I'd be quite shocked if he gets that much burn again unless he really improves...

Did you not see improvement in Summer League? I did.
Extremely little. Except for one game where he had one or two good passes, he was the same, mostly lost, player out there, IMO.

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
We池e gonna need Albert Einstein and Will Hunting to answer this question.

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think he'll be our fourth-string center this year, and he will play a bulk of the year in Maine.

The main reason is that Kanter, Theis, and Poirier are all likely better than him. Kanter should be self-evident. Theis is an experienced player whose knee will be in better shape than last year. Maybe Williams is better than Poirier, but I would guess Poirier is still more effective because of the experience factor.

Could some of those four guys play minutes at the 4? Probably not, if you ask me. I think it's equally or more likely that Stevens plays some lineups with none of them on the floor, and with Grant Williams or Semi Ojeyele as the biggest player on the court.

If he doesn't play much this year, that doesn't mean his career is over. I think the team will be content to see him continue to improve, with the possibility of being a contributor next year. It takes time for bigs to develop and I'm sure the team understands this.

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Its up to him.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
At best he will have a bigger Theis type role. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
We池e gonna need Albert Einstein and Will Hunting to answer this question.

I expect that Brad Stevens will have an answer as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:29:17 AM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
At best he will have a bigger Theis type role. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Do you mean that he値l have more minutes than Theis did last year? And, btw, what did you vote for?

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Poll update:

So I take it that you voted for 590 minutes? That's calling a season for him 66 games, to  accommodate for injuries and so on.

Now when you say "no one else to play those minutes" - do you mean that Theis and Poirier, Ojeleye, and the rest, are in a different category than Williams?
I voted the category up because I figured he would be in between those minute ranges and I always round those things up.  I figure Kanter will get in the 30 mpg range at C and Tatum in the 34 minute range at PF.  That leaves 32 minutes or so available.  I'd basically split those minutes between Theis, Semi, and Williams.  I have no real desire to see Poirier getting minutes.  Even if he is better than Williams, I think Williams should get those minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 12:42:17 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Its up to him.

Meaning that he has the talent, but just needs to put in the work?

If so, I agree.

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:55 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Poll update:

I voted the category up because I figured he would be in between those minute ranges and I always round those things up.

So you are probably THE median voter in this poll, more or less, on the low end of 790 minutes.

This is fascinating - I assumed that this forum would project him lower. I myself voted for 672 minutes, meaning that: I think that it will look like last year until the last part of the season, when he gets into the back end of the rotation.

I figure Kanter will get in the 30 mpg range at C and Tatum in the 34 minute range at PF.  That leaves 32 minutes or so available.  I'd basically split those minutes between Theis, Semi, and Williams.

So you have Tatum getting zero minutes as SF/wing? I have my doubts. It's too good a matchup to have a smaller player guarding him, besides which it looks like he's been working on mid-post stuff and overpowering his man driving to the basket.

Even if he is better than Williams, I think Williams should get those minutes.

You mean, I assume, for his development, so that he will be better in the future?