Author Topic: PGA Championship  (Read 6811 times)

PGA Championship
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The PGA always seems to be the least popular of the majors.  I don't know anyone who would say it is their favorite.  This year it will be even less followed obviously with no Tiger.

However for us golf junkies it is still a major championship.  I have always enjoyed the concept of Glory's Last Shot, everyone's last chance to win a major title in the season.

I would love to see the current leaderboard stay intact until Sunday.  Sergio, Mickelson, Badds, and Holmes would be a good mix.  I would also love to see the young kid Kim make a run at a major.

The big story for me is the course setup.  This looks and feels like a U.S Open.  All of the majors are beginning to look like them, and have higher scores.  The Masters has already had its exciting, birdie making back nine reputation taken away.  Now the PGA is going through the same thing.  There should be a major or two where par isn't a great score, and you need to make birdies.  That's how every other week is on tour, and some of them should be no different.  I love seeing the winner at the US and British Opens around par, but not at the Masters or the PGA.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: PGA Championship
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
ma11: I have a question for you...

Q: I'm an avid golfer. I just took it up approx 3-4 years ago. I've never taken a lesson and am self taught. Like everyone else when I started, I found the game impossible (both to play and enjoy). Over the last few years I have become rather decent (aka addicted). My career bests are: 74, 75, 77, and 79. My goal every time I play is to break 80, but I usually shoot in the low-mid 80's. I'd put myself around an 11 handicap or so. My question is how do I know what distance/set of tee boxes I SHOULD be playing from? I don't hit a long ball at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
ma11: I have a question for you...

Q: I'm an avid golfer. I just took it up approx 3-4 years ago. I've never taken a lesson and am self taught. Like everyone else when I started, I found the game impossible (both to play and enjoy). Over the last few years I have become rather decent (aka addicted). My career bests are: 74, 75, 77, and 79. My goal every time I play is to break 80, but I usually shoot in the low-mid 80's. I'd put myself around an 11 handicap or so. My question is how do I know what distance/set of tee boxes I SHOULD be playing from? I don't hit a long ball at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would say an 11 capable of breaking 80 should be playing the second tees from the back.  For courses that have four sets of tees that would usually be the blues.  On courses where there are only three sets of tees that would usually be the whites, with the blues being the tips.

Many people try to teach themselves how to play the game without the success that you have had.  It is a very hard thing to do.  However if you took a few lessons with a local pro I think you will find yourself achieving your goal of breaking 80 a lot more often.  Your handicap would also probably get to single digits.  You've come a long way in just a few years, so clearly you've got some talent there.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Another Tiger-less major with storylines abound.  It's a shame that with no Tiger and having the Olympics and baseball to watch that no one is following this major championship Sunday.  It's been a pretty good one to watch.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
The trademark Sergio chokejob just came on 16.  What an awful golf shot.  Some things just never change.  I thought he might have this one too.  Still some golf to play though.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sergio, Curtis, and Harrington are all having their struggles right now.

Anyone want to win this?   ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice save by Harrington on 16.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Two nice saves on the 16th green there.  Both came after bad decisions in the fairway.  We've been spoiled by watching Tiger.  Even the elite players in this game can be great affected by the pressure of Sunday evening.  This would be a huge win for both Harrington and Garcia.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Wow what a great exchange there.  It's funny it feels like this is a two horse race, no one's really paying attention to Curtis.  That is exactly how he won the British.  The way these guys are swinging right now though I think he might be the odd man out.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Driver into the bunker on 18 for Harrington.  Wow. 

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
So is Paddy the new Phil (aka, #2 to Tiger)?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

And as I say that, Paddy chunks one out of the bunker leaving the door open...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sure didn't look it after that shot from the bunker.

However, between the two British Open titles and possible PGA Championship here, he should be right at the top of the argument.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I choked on 18 worse than these guys yesterday...  standing on the tee of a 352 yard par 4 with a lake cutting into the right side of the fairway and a field/road left of the fairway, needing par for a 79.  I pumped a big drive to about 30 yards short of the green, dead center fairway.

Got too cute on the pitch, left it a foot short of the green, blew a putt 6 feet past the hole leaving me a tough downhill putt that I pushed and missed by 6 inches to the right.  Took 4 strokes to get in from 30 yards, left myself with an 80.

:-[

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
3 out of 6 is a pretty convincing argument.  Phil's majors have been very disappointing lately.  Harrington is the logical player to fill that void at this point.  Winning one over here would be a big step in the right direction for him.