Author Topic: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers  (Read 10238 times)

Re: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I don’t believe that they’d never do it.

For instance, Zion + Kuzma + Ball + pick.

NOP would probably take that.

Well yeah, absolutely NOP should take that, although Ball is not an asset I think they want.

But IMO LAL would be foolish to give all that away. IMO they are much better off keeping Zion, Kuzma and the pick, trading away Ball for assets and using their huge capspace to go after someone else. Conley will be available this offseason for example, so will butler. LAL could have a lineup next season featuring

Conley
Butler
Lebron
Zion
??

And have Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, Hart to use as trade bait for a center,

Imagine a bullyball lineup featuring Zion and Lebron? [dang], or even Zion being taught by LEbron for a couple of years?

DAAAMN

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Anything that lowers the price for Davis is good news.  Let's hope a rebuilding team wins the lottery and wants Zion.

I think a team wpuld be foolish to trade zion. He would be on a rookie contract and controllable for years.

Now the price for Davis, imo, is Tatum, the memphis pick, the Clippers pick, Boston pick 2020 and filler

Let Cs still draft this season. Would hate to miss out on some cheap depth with loads of potential.

Little at the sac pick
Fernando or reid at the boston pick

For “filler” we are going to need a good chunk of more salary.  A S&T of Rozier would certainly help and what I’m hoping for, and I hope they sign someone soon to a 2 MLE deal.

Yeah, I am assuming Rozier and some sort of MLE player, I dont think I have ever heard of 2 players both signed and traded before,

But
Tatum
Marcus Morris
Terry Rozier
Markieff Morris (MLE player)
Memphis Pick
LAC Pick
Boston pick 2020

for
Davis
Moore
not going to do 2 S&T players in that deal and Markieff is still with OKC so that's not happening.

I'm not sure who they could snag as the salary filler with the MLE at this point but it's looking more and more like Smart is going out the door in that deal as the primary salary filler.

Yeah, and I really dont like that at all.

But a S&T Rozier at 12 mill per, Tatum, Robert Williams 3, and a couple of signed picks (Memphis and LAC Pick and a future pick works for davis.

That is a really great deal for NOP as well.

Tatum is a potential superstar.
Williams is loaded with potential
Rozier is an above average starter, is young and has potential
And 3 picks to boot.

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Anything that lowers the price for Davis is good news.  Let's hope a rebuilding team wins the lottery and wants Zion.

I think a team wpuld be foolish to trade zion. He would be on a rookie contract and controllable for years.

Now the price for Davis, imo, is Tatum, the memphis pick, the Clippers pick, Boston pick 2020 and filler

Let Cs still draft this season. Would hate to miss out on some cheap depth with loads of potential.

Little at the sac pick

For “filler” we are going to need a good chunk of more salary.  A S&T of Rozier would certainly help and what I’m hoping for, and I hope they sign someone soon to a 2 MLE deal.

Yeah, I am assuming Rozier and some sort of MLE player, I dont think I have ever heard of 2 players both signed and traded before,

But
Tatum
Marcus Morris
Terry Rozier
Memphis Pick
LAC Pick
Boston pick 2020

for
Davis
Moore
not going to do 2 S&T players in that deal and Markieff is still with OKC so that's not happening.

I'm not sure who they could snag as the salary filler with the MLE at this point but it's looking more and more like Smart is going out the door in that deal as the primary salary filler.

But a S&T Rozier at 12 mill per, Tatum, Robert Williams 3, and a couple of signed picks (Memphis and LAC Pick and a future pick works for davis.

And 3 picks to boot.
assuming Rozier can be part of a trade package as a S&T player, I'd much rather send him than Smart as the salary filler however the likelihood of the Memphis pick conveying this year is pretty small so I don't see being able to count that signed-salary of that pick to help meet the salary requirements of the deal.  Also, no way NO makes that deal without the Sac pick which is very likely going to be the highest pick we get this year.

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Awesome but if the Lakers win the lottery (knocking frantically on wood) their tune might change real quick.

Davis can decide if he wants to take less money in free agency to go play with a 36 year old LeBron and a diminished Draymond Green or whatever they get there. In the meantime, the huge benefit is that this gives us more leverage when it comes time to make an offer.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lakers win the lottery this position might change, but I mean why would the Pelicans trade with the Lakers when there are going to be much better offers available, especially now that Ingram has a clot and Ball isn't going to play the rest of the year.

Why would you even waste space here speculating "if the Lakers win the lottery?"  The odds of that are absurdly low.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Lakers win the lottery this position might change, but I mean why would the Pelicans trade with the Lakers when there are going to be much better offers available, especially now that Ingram has a clot and Ball isn't going to play the rest of the year.

Why would you even waste space here speculating "if the Lakers win the lottery?"  The odds of that are absurdly low.

Thank you, Footey. Last week they were "almost in the playoffs"....today they've got Zion. Just wait a minute there, gentlemen.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Thank you, Footey. Last week they were "almost in the playoffs"....today they've got Zion. Just wait a minute there, gentlemen.
It's just a formal possibility.  Not sure why people get testy over that.  Heck, lots of people think the lottery is rigged but they don't get grief for it.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Little at the sac pick

But
Tatum
Marcus Morris
Terry Rozier
Memphis Pick
LAC Pick
Boston pick 2020

for
Davis
Moore

And 3 picks to boot.
assuming Rozier can be part of a trade package as a S&T player, I'd much rather send him than Smart as the salary filler however the likelihood of the Memphis pick conveying this year is pretty small so I don't see being able to count that signed-salary of that pick to help meet the salary requirements of the deal.  Also, no way NO makes that deal without the Sac pick which is very likely going to be the highest pick we get this year.

There is actually really good odds that the Memphis pick conveys this season.

Memphis has no reason to not push hard for wins now, Dallas and NOP have no reason to win games right now.

Looking more and more like Memphis will finish the season with the 9th pick (they are only 1.5 games up on 9th)

And if they finish with the 9th pick the odds are 79.7% chance that pick ends at either 9-12.

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

1.5%

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

It's just a formal possibility.  Not sure why people get testy over that.  Heck, lots of people think the lottery is rigged but they don't get grief for it.

A "formal possibility"?  What does that even mean?  Is there a "formal possibility" that we will get the number 9 pick (from Memphis) and then package that pick with our other first round picks to trade up to get the number one pick (Zion Williamson)?  Or that the first 8 teams will pass on Zion because of an injury scare, and we nab him at 9?  I mean, I find it borderline ridiculous that time is wasted on this board suggesting that the Lakers could possibly get the number one pick.  As of today, they have a 1.5% chance of getting it. 

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

1.5%
That is just for landing pick 1, they have better odds for 2, 3, or 4.  They could also improve their lottery position as they are basically just a game better then the 3 teams directly behind them in the standings.  going behind those 3 teams would move their odds at landing 1 up to 4.5%.  Washington and Memphis are also in reasonable range for them to fall behind, which puts them up to 7.5% to land #1 and would very likely ensure they are a top 8 pick (which alone makes the pick much more valuable).  The Lakers should have a pretty clear desire to tank the rest of the season and make their pick as good as possible for either trading or just flat out getting a better player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
THis report takes Tatum off the table in my mind unless he verbally agrees to extend, and then a few of the picks come off the table if tatum is part of the deal...Leverage is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The past couple of trades involving disgruntled superstars yielded less than people expected. I'm thinking of Paul George's trade to OKC (at the time people didn't value Oladipo much), or Butler's trade to PHI (Zach Lavine coming off an ACL, Kris Dunn, and the #7 pick). Those trades actually look decent in retrospect, but at the time they looked like a lot to give up.

Point is, I think we're so used to what the Celtics have that we forget how valuable some of their pieces are. Jaylen Brown plus a future Memphis pick alone is a lot, though i'm not sure it's enough for a super-duper-star like Davis. I just don't think one should conclude that Tatum need to be in there to push you over the line.

Zion is a major monkey wrench into this argument. But I wonder if he's actually TOO attractive to trade. People are talking about him like he's a generational talent. And as one poster has put it, he will put "butts in seats" regardless of whether or not he improves wins & losses.

A wildcard in this whole thing... What if NO falls in love with someone picked, say, 2-5? I know there's a dropoff after #1, but that could trump a Celtics package especially if it doesn't include Tatum.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
THis report takes Tatum off the table in my mind unless he verbally agrees to extend, and then a few of the picks come off the table if tatum is part of the deal...Leverage is a ****.

Honestly I think the Knicks are in the drivers seat if they want AD.  If they can get another start to sign they can offer players like Dennis Smith Jr., Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox and probably a top 3 pick.  If we don't offer Tatum I don't think the quantity of picks plus Brown and Smart get it done. THey probably want Tatum, Smart and Brown, Williams plus 3 picks.  I really just want the C's to keep drafting young guys and keep the team they have.  If Kyrie resigns great.  I just don't want to deplete the team to get AD.  There will be a lot of PT for the young guys with Morris gone, Theis gone will free up PT for Williams.  Hopefully they can package their top 3 picks to move into the top 10 and draft a replacement for Al or Terry.  I hope AD goes anywhere in the West.

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

1.5%
That is just for landing pick 1, they have better odds for 2, 3, or 4.  They could also improve their lottery position as they are basically just a game better then the 3 teams directly behind them in the standings.  going behind those 3 teams would move their odds at landing 1 up to 4.5%.  Washington and Memphis are also in reasonable range for them to fall behind, which puts them up to 7.5% to land #1 and would very likely ensure they are a top 8 pick (which alone makes the pick much more valuable).  The Lakers should have a pretty clear desire to tank the rest of the season and make their pick as good as possible for either trading or just flat out getting a better player.

Are you sure?  Check out the box score from their last game.  That doesn't look like a team intent on tanking the rest of their games. I thought so too, until I saw them score 43 in the 3rd quarter of that game, and Lebron showing  a lot of pride.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071682