Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 49459 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If I was one of those buyout guys (a la Favors) that everyone is chasing, I don’t think I’d come here. Most of the time these guys come here and don’t wind up getting nearly as much playing time as they’d expect, with CBS usually going with guys in their system. I was ecstatic when Monroe chose us, and he played sparingly. Kanter (not a buyout, but similar MLE situation) is seeing the same thing happen.

They bring in bigs who are good around the basket and then Brad doesn’t use them because he likes spacing.

And players know this, so I doubt Favors would choose us when a bunch of contenders are vying for his services at the minimum.

Nope, disagree. First of all, the reason why Monroe couldnt get minutes was because he is limited defensively. He is worse than Kanter and have no spacing at all. Kanter at least can shoot from mid range.

2nd, kanter isnt used sparingly. He is averaging 17 mins a game, which wouldve been more if 1) he didnt get injured and 2) blowouts. He is being maximized right now, to play him more minutes will limit his impact and expose his defense more. Right now he is being put in the right matchups.

Some players arent really plug and play, getting these guys from the buyouts and playing them a lot puts a lot of pressure on the guys because it takes time to learn the playbook.

Yeah, I mean, really. GE's take on Kanter only being used 'sparingly' seems totally wrong. I understand that his minutes could be pushed up a little bit, but there's really no reason to, as the Cs are winning. Kanter has been weirdly effective since getting fully healthy and is finally getting his due praise. Just look at this article from nba.com that just came out:

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-123119-enes-kanter-is-the-most-underrated-signing-of-the-offseason

That role is to be a great teammate, to come off of the bench, to dominate the glass, to score efficiently around the basket, and to be respectable on defense. He has not only accepted that assignment, but he has excelled within it.

“He’s just embracing his role,” said teammate Kemba Walker. “Whenever he comes in, he brings immediate energy. He brings toughness. Just veteran leadership off the bench.”

Kanter has made it clear that he doesn’t care if he starts or if he comes off of the bench. He just wants to win, which was the motivating factor behind him signing with the Celtics. He’s helping his teammates do just that by consistently logging gaudy numbers as a reserve.

And also, check this inspirational New Year's tweet from Kanter:
All I want from the new year is hope that God gives me more strength to be the voice of the voiceless,bigger platform to be the hope for innocents,educate myself about the challenges women face,power to unite people,fight against hate &racism
Let’s make this world better TOGETHER
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:10:38 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Yes, Kanter is great coming off the bench.

That still doesn't solve the Celts' problem of needing a quality big man.

Kanter's only averaging 17.7 minutes per game.

That means Theis and another Celtic player is getting the rest of the 30 minutes.

Both Theis and Kanter are backup Centers.

The ideal situation is to keep one of them and trade for a starting Center.
It doesn't have to be an All-Star Center, just someone better than both Kanter and Theis.

« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I was going to suggest Poeltl but I just read an article that makes him seem unlikely to be traded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/airalamo.com/2019/12/12/statistics-say-jakob-poeltl-san-antonio-spurs-valuable-player/amp/

But maybe, just maybe if the offer is right. He's got a really good contract that would be easy to match without giving up any off our current core players.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I was going to suggest Poeltl but I just read an article that makes him seem unlikely to be traded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/airalamo.com/2019/12/12/statistics-say-jakob-poeltl-san-antonio-spurs-valuable-player/amp/

But maybe, just maybe if the offer is right. He's got a really good contract that would be easy to match without giving up any off our current core players.

The title of the article:

Statistics indicate that Jakob Poeltl is the San Antonio Spurs’ most valuable player

That's why I think Poeltl will be an upgrade.

But Celts have other options, like Noel of OKC or WCS of GSW.

« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Golden State Warriors just waived Marquese Chriss. They had to do it not because he is not playing good, but because they needed to clear salary cap and roster spot to make room for Damion Lee. Victim of an unfortunate circumstance.

We should be on this. Chriss has played well with the Warriors, and is slowly, but surely, shedding off the immature brand on his name. Still a ton of potential there, as he shown in his three month stint.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Golden State Warriors just waived Marquese Chriss. They had to do it not because he is not playing good, but because they needed to clear salary cap and roster spot to make room for Damion Lee. Victim of an unfortunate circumstance.

We should be on this. Chriss has played well with the Warriors, and is slowly, but surely, shedding off the immature brand on his name. Still a ton of potential there, as he shown in his three month stint.
Can't say I've seen enough of him.

I remember some posters wanted us to trade down for him in 2016 (that's the year we drafted Brown) cause we had no starting-caliber PF at the time. As far as I Know, he's very athletic. What does he contribute to the game though?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:16:43 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

How many project big men do you think we can handle on the team?

I'm also worried that he's been playing C for his success with the Warriors this year, he doesn't really profile as a C for a winning team for me.

« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I remember some posters wanted us to trade down for him in 2016 (that's the year we drafted Brown) cause we had no starting-caliber PF at the time. As far as I Know, he's very athletic. What does he contribute to the game though?
He fouls a lot, and he draws a lot of fouls around the basket.

« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm also worried that he's been playing C for his success with the Warriors this year, he doesn't really profile as a C for a winning team for me.

The Warriors are not a bad team. They are losing because they are riddles with injuries to their top stars, and their hard cap situation has forces them to sign players on the cheap.

The Warriors wanted to keep Chriss, but they just can't because of cap restrictions. If he's good enough for that organization, I think he could be good elsewhere.

True, we should look for someone more.established, but there isn't anyone who's readily available, so why not go this route? He is a project, but he's more ready than any of our project bigs that we have as well.

« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

The Warriors are not a bad team. They are losing because they are riddles with injuries to their top stars, and their hard cap situation has forces them to sign players on the cheap.
They were bad with Steph/Draymond and Chriss as the start of this year. The only Warriors team context Chriss has been a part of is the second worst team in the league.

He is certainly not more ready that Robert Williams, he's not hurt but that's the only advantage. And again he's an offensive big man who's had success only in context of playing C for one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

We don't need a project scoring PF/C.

« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Can't say I've seen enough of him.

People around the Warriors, from the team, to the players, to their media people, and right down to the fans, are not thrilled with this decision.

He really established himself with Golden State, and really, if not for money restrictions, he would still be there.

He really played well.

« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
LaMarcus Aldridge has been lighting it up from three this season - he's shooting 45.9% outside the arc this season (albeit on a relatively low 2.2 attempts per game) on the back of a mind-breaking December (53.5% on 3.3 3PA per game!). I know his salary is huge, but if his ~40% 3 point shooting on 2-4 attempts per game is sustainable he'd be a very intriguing option for us if we really need an upgrade at centre. But in the meantime I'm happy with Theis and Kanter :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

They were bad with Steph/Draymond and Chriss as the start of this year. The only Warriors team context Chriss has been a part of is the second worst team in the league.

He is certainly not more ready that Robert Williams, he's not hurt but that's the only advantage. And again he's an offensive big man who's had success only in context of playing C for one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

We don't need a project scoring PF/C.

Steph played four games this year. That's not big enough a sample size. And after that, Chris's balled.

Maybe we don't need a project big man, but he's still valuable. Maybe he can be a trade asset. This offensive big man label doesn't bother me with the Celtics. If we can get Enes Kanter to play good tea..defense, we can do that with Chriss.

« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Steph played four games this year. That's not big enough a sample size. And after that, Chris's balled.

Maybe we don't need a project big man, but he's still valuable. Maybe he can be a trade asset.
He's played about league average offense at C while being one of the worst defensive rotation players at C playing backup minutes for the second worst team in the league. He still fouls too much, turns it over too much, and looks clueless too much.

That's not exciting to me. Man Warriors glow up is so very real. Can I interest you in a Patrick McCaw as an asset?

« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Maybe we don't need a project big man, but he's still valuable. Maybe he can be a trade asset.
He's played about league average offense at C while being one of the worst defensive rotation players at C playing backup minutes for the second worst team in the league. He still fouls too much, turns it over too much, and looks clueless too much.

That's not exciting to me. Man Warriors glow up is so very real. Can I interest you in a Patrick McCaw as an asset?

If he keeps playing like he did against us last game, yes you could.