Author Topic: If Memphis cuts Howard, would you want him?  (Read 7437 times)

Re: If Memphis cuts Howard, would you want him?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
If Dwight gets bought out, I wonder if the Clippers will take a chance on him.

Always wanted to see what Doc could do with Dwight.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd much rather take a chance on both Dwight and Carmelo then basically waste the 14th and 15th spots on young guys that aren't going to play at all and have very little chance of ever being able to contribute at all.  Or at least the 15th spot (maybe you like Wanamaker)

Dwight and Carmelo wreck locker rooms, though. Why repeat last year’s issues?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd much rather take a chance on both Dwight and Carmelo then basically waste the 14th and 15th spots on young guys that aren't going to play at all and have very little chance of ever being able to contribute at all.  Or at least the 15th spot (maybe you like Wanamaker)

Dwight and Carmelo wreck locker rooms, though. Why repeat last year’s issues?
minimum contract players.  just cut them if they act up.  I'd rather just take the chance that one of them fits and works well.  To me that is worth the lost opportunity cost on a player like Brad Wanamaker or some young guy that will almost certainly never end up doing anything in the league.  Boston is not rebuilding so why not take a flyer and if you strike gold then maybe Boston actually moves into the Milwaukee/Philly tier in the conference. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Yes..he be good to play around 15-20 minutes a game..if he acts up, cut him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
No. I spent all last season rooting for a team I could tell didn’t like each other, and I hated that. No. No Dwight Howard. No. I’d rather miss the playoffs.
Same. Fortunately, I doubt Ainge will be interested.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Dwight isn't liked by the guys in the league. This has been very well documented over the years.

ok fine

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As a player even a diminished Howard would be a good fit for our needs.

But as a locker room presence he's toxic so nopenopenopenopenope.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Every year this thread comes up. Every year we don't pick him up. Every year he gets benched/traded/cut because players reportedly hate being around him. The pile of injuries certainly don't help either. Here is the last 3 years:

Rockets decide not to pursue him in FA
Hawks trade him for nothing after 1 year
Hornets trade him for bad salary after 1 year
Brooklyn immediately cuts him
Washington trades him after 1 year for nothing

Dude had 5 really impressive seasons in Orlando but after that it's been a really spectacular fall from grace. The last season in Orlando are arguably HOF worthy. We'll see if his personality keeps him out.

My bet is that his personality has and will continue to keep him out of Boston.

[Insert KG quote]

"Anything is possible" ?

I opened this thread up to see who Howard was.  With only a sip of two of coffee all I came up with was Juwan, and I knew that couldn't be it.  Dwight is an afterthought at this point - and not a pleasant one.  Buy bye.

You didn’t think of Moe or Curly?

I think of Moe and Curly, regardless of the occasion.

We could probably use one of the Stooges to shore up our frontcourt, even though all of them are under 6 feet tall.

At least Moe can try to give Giannis the ol' eye poke.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:05:50 PM by gpap »

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Every year this thread comes up. Every year we don't pick him up. Every year he gets benched/traded/cut because players reportedly hate being around him. The pile of injuries certainly don't help either. Here is the last 3 years:

Rockets decide not to pursue him in FA
Hawks trade him for nothing after 1 year
Hornets trade him for bad salary after 1 year
Brooklyn immediately cuts him
Washington trades him after 1 year for nothing

Dude had 5 really impressive seasons in Orlando but after that it's been a really spectacular fall from grace. The last season in Orlando are arguably HOF worthy. We'll see if his personality keeps him out.

My bet is that his personality has and will continue to keep him out of Boston.

[Insert KG quote]

"Anything is possible" ?

I opened this thread up to see who Howard was.  With only a sip of two of coffee all I came up with was Juwan, and I knew that couldn't be it.  Dwight is an afterthought at this point - and not a pleasant one.  Buy bye.

You didn’t think of Moe or Curly?

I think of Moe and Curly, regardless of the occasion.

We could probably use one of the Stooges to shore up our frontcourt, even though all of them are under 6 feet tall.

At least Moe can try to give Giannis the ol' eye poke.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck
Yup

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As a player even a diminished Howard would be a good fit for our needs.

But as a locker room presence he's toxic so nopenopenopenopenope.

Haha - great reference!

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I hate this recurring thread and have never wanted Dwight on this team. But this is the first time I’ve given it a second thought.

I strongly dislike the idea of Kanter being our primary big. We need defense at that position above all else- which is all Dwight is good at. Yes, Dwight’s a cancer and we just finished the year of drama. But we’re Currently in the clear. All of our rotation guys are reputable team players to my understanding.

So would Dwight coming off the bench at the vet min have that big of an impact? With an understanding he’d be playing a lessened role, would his personality stand out as much as usual? Worst comes to worst we cut his ass and keep moseying on.  The margin of risk vs reward doesn’t seem too steep if this were the case.

That said, I don’t have much faith.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 02:27:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Dwight played with kemba  2 years ago

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 03:49:40 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Firstly, I’ve always be interested in why Howard is hated and what I found is he isn’t a bad locker room guy in the usual sense, actually similar to Kyrie he’s a weird guy but not a bad guy, the biggest issue I’ve read is that he simply didn’t listen to coaches and doesn’t understand his limitations as a depleted superstar.

Secondly, this situation would be very different than the past as he’s essentially at rock bottom and would be a 1 year vet minimum with no leverage, if he doesn’t listen, he is gone...it’s that simple.

The risk is outweighed by the reward and his skills are exactly what we need. Think of the boneheads that the Warriors have had, Nick Young, JaVale McGee, DeMarcus Cousins ect. and they all did a job because they agreed to do a small role and were on 1 year low cost contracts.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Firstly, I’ve always be interested in why Howard is hated and what I found is he isn’t a bad locker room guy in the usual sense, actually similar to Kyrie he’s a weird guy but not a bad guy, the biggest issue I’ve read is that he simply didn’t listen to coaches and doesn’t understand his limitations as a depleted superstar.

Secondly, this situation would be very different than the past as he’s essentially at rock bottom and would be a 1 year vet minimum with no leverage, if he doesn’t listen, he is gone...it’s that simple.

The risk is outweighed by the reward and his skills are exactly what we need. Think of the boneheads that the Warriors have had, Nick Young, JaVale McGee, DeMarcus Cousins ect. and they all did a job because they agreed to do a small role and were on 1 year low cost contracts.
Howard is a worse locker room guy than you describe.  Not listening to coaches doesn't explain why he is EXTREMELY unpopular with teammates.  Players have openly celebrated when they found out Howard was leaving their team.  I don't think it matters if a player is a bad guy or a weird guy if the negative effect on team chemistry is the same.

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dwight played with kemba  2 years ago

And is likely not a big fan:

Former NBA player and current Sirius XM host Brendan Haywood gave the scoop on Wednesday (H/T @HowardBeck).

“The locker room did not like Dwight Howard,” Haywood said. “Guys were just sick and tired of his act.”

Haywood played for the Hornets in 2012-13 and apparently still has ties with Kemba Walker and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who were on the same Hornets team

Then there’s this from a beat reporter:

I was speaking to a team source in midseason – this was months before the Howard trade – and he told me of the Hornets players’ frustration that Howard simply wouldn’t run the play that was called, sometimes in key last-minute situations.

Also, for a man with a superhero body, Howard’s screen-setting was often “terrible,” according to the source. Howard and former coach Steve Clifford – who was always seen as “The Howard Whisperer” – also did not have nearly as perfect a relationship as was advertised and had at least one notable confrontation. And I saw firsthand some of the eye-rolling that Howard’s teammates did when they spoke about him.

And from Atlanta:

I've heard multiple stories of Hawks players learning about the trade and screaming with jubilation into their phones.
"You ask why, and one account was that Dwight would give these speeches before the game about how everyone is playing hard, we want unity, we're going to… and then go out and play like a blah game where he demands post touches and doesn't rotate as hard as he could. And everyone is like, 'why are you speaking in the locker room?' But that's all anecdotal. It's just crazy how these stories come out after every stop in his career.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes