Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 234451 times)

mobilija and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s been pretty clear all season that the players have bought into Joe. Joe may not be a quick decision maker in games and lacks some creative play calling. But he has professional athletes playing hard and in scheme, that’s a pretty big part of being a pro coach.

This is true.  That buy-in didn't seem to be there last year in the playoffs, but at least so far the team seems to be doing what they're asked to do, even when the things they're asked to do are stupid (i.e., Game 2).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Game 2 was just a dumb plan in daring Miami to shoot wide open 3s. I am glad to see that plan has been shelved for the last two games.

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 175
Game 2 was just a dumb plan in daring Miami to shoot wide open 3s. I am glad to see that plan has been shelved for the last two games.
It seems like Joe does learn from his mistakes, even if he sometimes acts like nothing was wrong to the media.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It seems like Joe does learn from his mistakes, even if he sometimes acts like nothing was wrong to the media.

But he's slow in doing it.  When something obviously isn't working, it shouldn't take a game to adjust.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

But he's slow in doing it.  When something obviously isn't working, it shouldn't take a game to adjust.

So after two beat downs in a row, we are still talking about Game2?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Because it's a discussion about Joe's coaching?

Why do you even bother posting in this thread? You don't seem to have much interest in adding anything to the conversation.  Instead, you just tell other people what they should and shouldn't be talking about.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Why do you even bother posting in this thread? You don't seem to have much interest in adding anything to the conversation.  Instead, you just tell other people what they should and shouldn't be talking about.

I post in this thread to give my opinion, like everyone else. There's no authority on this subject. We all watch and formulate our own opinions. I have watched each of the four games. In total, Joe has been good.

I was making the point that it doesn't seem fair to continue to go back to Game 2 to draw conclusions. Judging people by their mistakes/shortcomings and ignoring their accomplishments is a tough look.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 605

[/quote

I post in this thread to give my opinion, like everyone else. There's no authority on this subject. We all watch and formulate our own opinions. I have watched each of the four games. In total, Joe has been good.

I was making the point that it doesn't seem fair to continue to go back to Game 2 to draw conclusions. Judging people by their mistakes/shortcomings and ignoring their accomplishments is a tough look.

Did the loss in game 2 remind you of anything?
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yeah, game 2 was bad. Games 1, 3, and 4 were much better. I'm happy being up 3-1.

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton

We're discussing how long it takes Joe to adjust, and you think looking back two games ago is unfair?

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

We're discussing how long it takes Joe to adjust, and you think looking back two games ago is unfair?

In isolation, it is fair.

There's context for this thread, however. Critics have frequently looked back at another season with a different team. Most of the players are the same, but its still a different squad. Joe was in Year 1 and now he's in Year 2. I expect that he will improve going forward. I imagine Jordan Walsh will continue to improve as well.

If people are pointing out Joe's accomplishments, it seems needlessly negative to throw out "what about last year, or what about game 2". SNL has an entire skit called Debbie Downer based on this.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, game 2 was bad. Games 1, 3, and 4 were much better. I'm happy being up 3-1.

I think we all are.  And hey, if Joe only coaches poorly 25% of the time we'll probably hang a banner.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I think these last 2 wins speak highly of Joe. Obviously it's the players who have to get credit for winning these games but that's 2 games in a row where things went really poorly for the Celtics (all the shooting in game 3, the stars shooting poorly in game 4) but they still dominated. I think that speaks to a game plan working.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Coaches are like refs. People won’t mention them again until something bad happens to their team. When was the last time you read “great play calling” or “awesome job reffing” on the internet?

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton

In isolation, it is fair.

There's context for this thread, however. Critics have frequently looked back at another season with a different team. Most of the players are the same, but its still a different squad. Joe was in Year 1 and now he's in Year 2. I expect that he will improve going forward. I imagine Jordan Walsh will continue to improve as well.

If people are pointing out Joe's accomplishments, it seems needlessly negative to throw out "what about last year, or what about game 2". SNL has an entire skit called Debbie Downer based on this.
It is needlessly negative to bring up last year. It's entirely relevant to bring up two games ago.