Author Topic: Can Tatum play PF?  (Read 6023 times)

Re: Can Tatum play PF?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Of course he can. Traditional PFs aren't mobile enough to stay in front of him on the perimeter. This is a massive advantage in our favour, especially since Tatum can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Fournier
PF: Tatum
C: Horford

Imo, this should be our starting lineup.

100% agree. That’s a really solid starting lineup.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 06:18:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Celtics will struggle with Tatum playing the traditional PF role. Asking if he can play PF is silly because he can play any position he lines up at. is it a wise thing? That is another question.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:39:38 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
depends on the match-up

I never understood this line of thinking.

If there is a matchup that he has a problem with, he has to be a problem for his opponent, and he has to be the bigger problem. If he's good enough, the other team is the team that has to adjust.
Tatum can't take, nor should the team want him to, be forced to defend inside.  It is physically wearing on a player to consistently have to guard bigger men, especially when the bigger men effectively utilize that size.  Now sure those bigger men have to guard Tatum as well, which can serve an advantage, but I'd rather not have Tatum be exhausted and worn out game after game because of the strain of guarding beasts in the posts.  Good way to get injured as well. 

So sure against many teams it isn't a problem, but it is a problem against a lot of teams, many of which are playoff contenders in the East, like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Indiana, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
depends on the match-up

If there is a matchup that he has a problem with, he has to be a problem for his opponent, and he has to be the bigger problem. If he's good enough, the other team is the team that has to adjust.
Tatum can't take, nor should the team want him to, be forced to defend inside.  It is physically wearing on a player to consistently have to guard bigger men, especially when the bigger men effectively utilize that size.  Now sure those bigger men have to guard Tatum as well, which can serve an advantage, but I'd rather not have Tatum be exhausted and worn out game after game because of the strain of guarding beasts in the posts.  Good way to get injured as well. 

So sure against many teams it isn't a problem, but it is a problem against a lot of teams, many of which are playoff contenders in the East, like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Indiana, etc.
What you're saying is true but how many 4's in today's NBA are inside players? It seems like most NBA teams have pf's who are mostly outisde guys now as well so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
depends on the match-up

What you're saying is true but how many 4's in today's NBA are inside players? It seems like most NBA teams have pf's who are mostly outisde guys now as well so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I listed 3 teams where the PF's are bigger than Tatum, are good to great offensive players, and are able to effectively play in the post.  2 of those teams just played in the ECF and the other is a playoff contender.  But even if they do play on the perimeter, it is still draining consistently guarding bigger men all game long. 

Tatum is at his best as a SF guarding SF's.  That is the position he should be playing.  Sure short bursts here and there are fine, but if Tatum is the full time PF, that is a bad position.

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
depends on the match-up

I listed 3 teams where the PF's are bigger than Tatum, are good to great offensive players, and are able to effectively play in the post.  2 of those teams just played in the ECF and the other is a playoff contender.  But even if they do play on the perimeter, it is still draining consistently guarding bigger men all game long. 

Tatum is at his best as a SF guarding SF's.  That is the position he should be playing.  Sure short bursts here and there are fine, but if Tatum is the full time PF, that is a bad position.
Ime can just make a starting lineup change when having to face those guys and move Tatum to SF for those games against the bigger elite 4s. Heck, my guess is that with Brown at the three, on defense, Tatum will always gets the easier cover on defense anyway, so I wouldn't worry about how physically taxing it will be for Tatum. He will be protected from most of that, one way or another.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 04:30:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
depends on the match-up

Ime can just make a starting lineup change when having to face those guys and move Tatum to SF for those games against the bigger elite 4s. Heck, my guess is that with Brown at the three, on defense, Tatum will always gets the easier cover on defense anyway, so I wouldn't worry about how physically taxing it will be for Tatum. He will be protected from most of that, one way or another.
Brown shouldn't be guarding PF's either.  Brown already misses a bunch of games every season, he certainly doesn't need the extra wear and tear of playing the bigger guys.  I also think that has contributed in part to Smart getting these weird little nicks and bruises every year as well.

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 08:34:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
depends on the match-up

Milwaukee - Giannis. You're right on this one but Giannis is an impossible cover for anyone.

Indiana - Turner and Sabonis start together, so you're right here as well, but Indy seems like it's trying to ditch Turner because playing that big hasn't helped them.

Atlanta - John Collins is an inch taller than Tatum and almost never plays out of the post.

So you listed 2 teams, in the entire NBA.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2021, 11:25:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
depends on the match-up

Milwaukee - Giannis. You're right on this one but Giannis is an impossible cover for anyone.

Indiana - Turner and Sabonis start together, so you're right here as well, but Indy seems like it's trying to ditch Turner because playing that big hasn't helped them.

Atlanta - John Collins is an inch taller than Tatum and almost never plays out of the post.

Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Jaren Jackson, etc.  I picked 3 teams that were playoff contenders in the East, not the only 3 teams that have big strong PF's. 

But the over arching point is, Tatum is best suited playing SF, both offensively and defensively.  That is what his skill set works best at.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
depends on the match-up

Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Jaren Jackson, etc.  I picked 3 teams that were playoff contenders in the East, not the only 3 teams that have big strong PF's. 

But the over arching point is, Tatum is best suited playing SF, both offensively and defensively.  That is what his skill set works best at.

You seem to be overthinking this. Some of the most physical players in the NBA play small forward. LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, Miles Bridges, Marcus Morris all put shoulders into you all night, and they are all a lot stronger than Tatum. Several younger guys are pretty powerful too and will be doing the same soon. Its basketball and its the NBA.

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
depends on the match-up

You seem to be overthinking this. Some of the most physical players in the NBA play small forward. LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, Miles Bridges, Marcus Morris all put shoulders into you all night, and they are all a lot stronger than Tatum. Several younger guys are pretty powerful too and will be doing the same soon. Its basketball and its the NBA.
Sure, but they don't do it under the basket and it isn't the wear and tear from the best players you have to worry about. 

Tatum is not a PF and should not play PF.  He can do it for short bursts here and there, but if he is the team's full time PF you end up with a season like the last one.

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2021, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
You are right.  Tatum is not a pf. Good thing they usually do not play 1. They usually play c,pg, and 3 wings. Tatum is the biggest of the wings. I challenge Cleveland to try to play 2 bigs. It us funny watching love try to guard Tatum. Simply a turnstile. P m ay to your strengths. Pace and space if you are playing small. Fast break and perimeter spacing. Force the love's of the world to sprint and guard on the perimter. He will not be an issue for long as he sits the bench. .

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
depends on the match-up

Sure, but they don't do it under the basket and it isn't the wear and tear from the best players you have to worry about. 

Tatum is not a PF and should not play PF.  He can do it for short bursts here and there, but if he is the team's full time PF you end up with a season like the last one.

I'm not sure that your assertions about under the basket or the best players makes any sense, but you don't want Jaylen doing this either. The team has a pile up of depth at the 2-3 spots, and our best power forward is someone another team just let go last year in Parker.

If you don't want Tatum and Brown playing power forward, we need to actually get a power forward, and that is not easy to do. We haven't had one since Marcus Morris left.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Seems to me Horford can play enough at the "4" to be respectable. That leaves us with Timelord and Mo Barnes at the "5". If Timelord is healthy and Barnes is good eniugh to take on 10 - 15 minutes then all is good. Big if's! If Horford has to play the "5" then we have little real interior defence. Fewer blocks fewer rebounds and put backs. Tristan only helps a little. Perhaps if we trade away Fournier and Thompson for a real "4" then maybe we get somewhere. Trust Langford and Nesmith with Fourniers minutes.

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
depends on the match-up

I'm not sure that your assertions about under the basket or the best players makes any sense, but you don't want Jaylen doing this either. The team has a pile up of depth at the 2-3 spots, and our best power forward is someone another team just let go last year in Parker.

If you don't want Tatum and Brown playing power forward, we need to actually get a power forward, and that is not easy to do. We haven't had one since Marcus Morris left.
Yes we do.  I've been saying that for awhile.  The team needs a legit PF.  Doesn't have to be a great player, but they need someone that can actually play the position for 30 minutes a night.