Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369530 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1665 on: January 04, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I can't wait until they overpay Butler this summer.

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.
Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.

Yeah honestly I don't get why the media hypes up Brett Brown so much like he's a superstar coach. Hell, folks still have many issues with Brad Stevens and his style/decisions sometimes (and some are definitely warranted but some are also ridiculous), but Brown is nothing more than a solid coach to me (a guy who can help a team win a lot of games but probably not anything further than a 2nd round unless the team is stacked, which no team is on paper besides Golden State right now who happen to also be struggling a little lately).

I'm actually kinda glad someone else thinks this way about Brown. I thought of posting something like that here but thought it would sound biased and very controversial  :P

The Sixers could use another star to get to the next step but finding a new coach would also do wonders for them IMHO.
I think there's plenty of Sixer fans who just seem him as a cheerleader.  A quick-glance at the Philly subreddit showed that the top comments are people just agreeing with Butler's criticism.  And supposedly, Brown is going to make adjustments.  Really, I don't get the sense he knows what he's doing, but he seems like he's probably really likeable. 

« Reply #1666 on: January 04, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.
Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.
You're seriously overrating the Sixers playoff chances last season.  Young, inexperienced teams generally don't go far in the playoffs especially when their star player is recovering from an injury and having to where a face mask which he hated.  Winning in the 1st round was big for them and 3 of their 4 losses to us were close.  We had some young players but we also had considerable playoff experience both from players and coaches.  Coaches have to learn how to win in the playoffs just like players do. 

The Sixers replaced Hinkie with a big-boy GM.  How'd that work out for them?  Coach Brown does need to get their Big 3 better integrated but even if that happens they are not a favorite for the conference finals.  After their Big 3 and Redick, they don't have any playoff caliber players. 

« Reply #1667 on: January 04, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
As many of us said when news of the trade originally broke, I just don’t see those three working out together from any perspective, whether that be basketball fit, chemistry, or even personality.

« Reply #1668 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

You're seriously overrating the Sixers playoff chances last season.  Young, inexperienced teams generally don't go far in the playoffs especially when their star player is recovering from an injury and having to where a face mask which he hated.  Winning in the 1st round was big for them and 3 of their 4 losses to us were close.  We had some young players but we also had considerable playoff experience both from players and coaches.  Coaches have to learn how to win in the playoffs just like players do. 

The Sixers replaced Hinkie with a big-boy GM.  How'd that work out for them?  Coach Brown does need to get their Big 3 better integrated but even if that happens they are not a favorite for the conference finals.  After their Big 3 and Redick, they don't have any playoff caliber players.
I mean... Boston was young and inexperienced too, but they had a game plan and came out aggressive.  Philly looked emotionally deflated and unprepared. Some of that is their inexperience and some of that might be having a rebuild coach instead of a wartime coach.  Fair point about Embiid being injured, though.  You can't give Boston enough credit for overachieving like they did in the playoffs last year... Tatum was phenomenal... but I do think Philly had more talent than they showed in that series.

« Reply #1669 on: January 04, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Embiid is an emotional player.  It is a strength and a weakness.  If the media asks him a question, he's going to tell them what he's feeling at the moment not give a bland, politically correct answer. 

« Reply #1670 on: January 04, 2019, 06:41:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Embiid is an emotional player.  It is a strength and a weakness.  If the media asks him a question, he's going to tell them what he's feeling at the moment not give a bland, politically correct answer. 

Am I the only one finds it funny that Jayson Tatum has played 4279 career NBA minutes including playoffs... Joel Embiid has only played 4231 ...

Just kinda funny.  Tatum has played more NBA minutes than Embiid.  Obviously Embiid is older, but he's still probably figuring stuff out.

« Reply #1671 on: January 04, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Am I the only one finds it funny that Jayson Tatum has played 4279 career NBA minutes including playoffs... Joel Embiid has only played 4231 ...

Yao played 16,806 career minutes including playoffs. Will Embiid surpass that? Just a thought.

« Reply #1672 on: January 04, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I mean... Boston was young and inexperienced too, but they had a game plan and came out aggressive.  Philly looked emotionally deflated and unprepared. Some of that is their inexperience and some of that might be having a rebuild coach instead of a wartime coach.  Fair point about Embiid being injured, though.  You can't give Boston enough credit for overachieving like they did in the playoffs last year... Tatum was phenomenal... but I do think Philly had more talent than they showed in that series.
Definitely not taking away from what we did but we had Horford and his playoff experience.  Smart had 22 games of playoff experience going into last years playoffs.  We had an experienced playoff coach.   We also had home court.  The Sixers are probably the team that needs home court in the playoffs the most.  The Sixers talent had flaws which we had the talent with proper skillset and coaching to expose. 

The Sixers undefeated run at the end of season got them overhyped and really did them a disservice.  They were projected to win 38-40 games going into the season.  52 wins and a 1st round playoff series win was definitely an overachievement.   

« Reply #1673 on: January 04, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah honestly I don't get why the media hypes up Brett Brown so much like he's a superstar coach. Hell, folks still have many issues with Brad Stevens and his style/decisions sometimes (and some are definitely warranted but some are also ridiculous), but Brown is nothing more than a solid coach to me (a guy who can help a team win a lot of games but probably not anything further than a 2nd round unless the team is stacked, which no team is on paper besides Golden State right now who happen to also be struggling a little lately).

I'm actually kinda glad someone else thinks this way about Brown. I thought of posting something like that here but thought it would sound biased and very controversial  :P

The Sixers could use another star to get to the next step but finding a new coach would also do wonders for them IMHO.
I think there's plenty of Sixer fans who just seem him as a cheerleader.  A quick-glance at the Philly subreddit showed that the top comments are people just agreeing with Butler's criticism.  And supposedly, Brown is going to make adjustments.  Really, I don't get the sense he knows what he's doing, but he seems like he's probably really likeable.
I agree with Butler's criticism at least to some degree.  However when the Sixers were finishing up that undefeated run with Embiid out for the last 8 or 9 games of it, some Sixers fans started saying Simmons was more valuable and the team was better without Embiid because he slowed their pace.  Needless to say there are plenty of knucklehead Sixers fans. 

« Reply #1674 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Well actually I kind of speak from experience here. Sometime last summer I mentioned that I think Brett Brown is overrated (he's good but not "elite") and then a couple of folks thought I was crazy and that I was wrong. Obviously opinions from all sides are encouraged but I got the assumption that most actually think Brown is a star coach. Some PHI fans even think they got as far as they did because of Brown (without him they may not have made it past the first round in their eyes).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1675 on: January 04, 2019, 07:14:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Definitely not taking away from what we did but we had Horford and his playoff experience.  Smart had 22 games of playoff experience going into last years playoffs.  We had an experienced playoff coach.   We also had home court.  The Sixers are probably the team that needs home court in the playoffs the most.  The Sixers talent had flaws which we had the talent with proper skillset and coaching to expose. 

The Sixers undefeated run at the end of season got them overhyped and really did them a disservice.  They were projected to win 38-40 games going into the season.  52 wins and a 1st round playoff series win was definitely an overachievement.   

Fair points.  I don’t think how they were projected going into the season is remotely relevant, though.  They underestimate how great Embiid and Simmons could be in their first unrestricted NBA minutes.  Talent is talent. By the end of the season it was clear they had talent.  They should have gone further than they did.

« Reply #1676 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
As many of us said when news of the trade originally broke, I just don’t see those three working out together from any perspective, whether that be basketball fit, chemistry, or even personality.

They should trade Simmons. Plain simple.

Simmons needs the ball in his hands to be an effective player. And he really is an obstacle for both Butler and Embiid. In transition Simmons is world class, but in the half court he limits the offense. I fully agree with the critics by Embiid and Butler.

Losing Butler for nothing would be devastating for them. Then their future would be solely dependent on Fultz becoming what he was projected to be, or in other words: a miracle at this point.

The 76ers should do everything possible to make Butler happy. Butler is a jerk, but I'm sure Embiid can handle him. If you get those two on the same page they can really look forward to contending.

« Reply #1677 on: January 04, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Seems like Butler is a pain where ever he goes..i would pass on him if i own a team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1678 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If I were the Sixers, I'd dupe some idiot GMs into thinking that Simmons is a great player and trade him there. I'd also find a way to get value for that cancer Butler.

Build around Embiid, get more shooting around him, get some playmaking to replace Simmons.

« Reply #1679 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Seems like Butler is a pain where ever he goes..i would pass on him if i own a team

Pictured:  Ricky Davis next to Premium Brand Ricky Davis

#VintageDinger