Author Topic: Great podcast about Garnett and Duncan  (Read 9934 times)

Great podcast about Garnett and Duncan
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:34:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://soundcloud.com/thinkingbasketball/41-duncan-vs-garnett-andre-snellings-great-debates

Thinking Basketball released a podcast with ESPN's Andre Snellings about Garnett and Duncan. The stuff they discuss is really insightful when it comes to analysing past NBA greats and should be a must listen for those who love this sort of player comparisons.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Great podcast about Garnett and Duncan
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
TP. I’ll have to give this one a listen.

But off the bat I’m going to say that KG doesn’t belong in the same category as Duncan. Tim got 5 titles, and was way more clutch. His game aged much better than KG’s, and it seems like Duncan always got the best of him when they met whether it be in the playoffs or regular season. A better debate, to me, would be Duncan or Dirk.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:56:13 AM by perks-a-beast »

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

But off the bat I’m going to say that KG doesn’t belong in the same category as Duncan. Tim got 5 titles, and was way more clutch. His game aged much better than KG’s, and it seems like Duncan always got the best of him when they met whether it be in the playoffs or regular season. A better debate, to me, would be Duncan or Dirk.
Oh boy, then I definitely recommend reading his historical top 40 series if you think that way (not disparaging your opinion, but there's a lot of interesting evidence that supports the contrary, and I think that some of them are pretty eye opening). It provides one of the most compelling arguments out there on why KG is one of the best, if not the best power forward of all time.

https://backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I’ve got a long car ride coming up, so this will be a fun listen for that...but will be surprised if it can convince me KG is the best ever PF..

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Nowitzki
4. Barkley

I think all those guys are better than Garnett, and Anthony Davis will soon eclipse him as well.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I’ve got a long car ride coming up, so this will be a fun listen for that...but will be surprised if it can convince me KG is the best ever PF..

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Nowitzki
4. Barkley

I think all those guys are better than Garnett, and Anthony Davis will soon eclipse him as well.
Well then I'd like to introduce you to the talking out your ass club because the only thing that puts Duncan ahead of KG in the All time discussion is the rings.
KG is imo one of the 5 best defensive players ever as well as being an amazing passing big. He's one of the most versatile players ever as well. As far as him not being clutch, im not sure how much you watched the dude throughout his career because he was clutch as hell. Often dragged Minnesota to wins with his scoring. Duncan had the edge because of his rings but had KG ended up in the blessed scenario that was San Antonio instead of Minnesota for the majority of his career he would have 5 rings as well. Dudes one of the best players ever. Period.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Nowitzki
4. Barkley

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Nowitzki
4. Barkley

Well then I'd like to introduce you to the talking out your ass club because the only thing that puts Duncan ahead of KG in the All time discussion is the rings.
KG is imo one of the 5 best defensive players ever as well as being an amazing passing big. He's one of the most versatile players ever as well. As far as him not being clutch, im not sure how much you watched the dude throughout his career because he was clutch as hell. Often dragged Minnesota to wins with his scoring. Duncan had the edge because of his rings but had KG ended up in the blessed scenario that was San Antonio instead of Minnesota for the majority of his career he would have 5 rings as well. Dudes one of the best players ever. Period.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I wonder how many rings KG would've won if "HE" was in San Antonio and Timmy was in Minny...

Truth be told - I'm going to be selfish here and say that I am GLAD he stayed in Minnesota.....if he was in SAS then I doubt BOS would've been blessed enough to have him.

BOS would not have experienced Bar fights, on-court Honey Nut Cheerio endorsements, the sheer intensity AND the return of Celtic Pride to Boston in 2007-08.

This team's fortunes changed - right there. With KG.

In many ways we are STILL benefiting from KG's presence.....didn't his trade (and PP34's) garner us Tatum and Brown?

Kevin "Big Ticket" Garnett - the Gift that has been giving since 2007-08......

and will probably keep giving for the next 10-15 years.

THANK YOU, KG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TnilbMphA

The Haters can go pack sand.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Both were amazing players, but Duncan gets the nod from me.  They were always very close, though, whether it be career-wise, peak seasons, or H2H.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Both were amazing players, but Duncan gets the nod from me.  They were always very close, though, whether it be career-wise, peak seasons, or H2H.
That's a pretty fair assessment to me - it certainly sounds much less wild than perk's take just now, which seems very biased towards volume scoring in general (again I'm not disparaging his take, I just find it hard to wrap my head around putting Dirk/Barkley/Malone above KG unless you don't value defence and court awareness at all in favour of high volume scoring).

I personally lean in favour of KG (yes it's pretty crazy), I think his apex was just short of the GOAT peaks (eg. Jordan, Shaq, LeBron), and he has a portability boost due to what drives his overall impact (eg. quality outside shooting and GOAT level big man passing on offence, GOAT level help/perimeter defence and elite rim protection for a big) being able to hold value on better and better teams (which imo puts his '04 season right around '00 Shaq and '13 Bron). The higher peak of KG and similar longevity to Duncan (although Duncan had more quality years in the back end of his career) gives him a tiny advantage to me. I'm probably looking at KG with some really rosy glasses, but to me his skillset and career was so unique that I think he could be put in that rarified air even among ATGs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:54:56 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I rate Duncan higher, but KG is definitely in his class.

To me, AD is not in their class yet.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I always considered Ducan a center first .  Garnett sometimes played center , but i always thought of him as a forward .

I admire Ducan , team first good guy .

Garnett was the best basketball player of this mentioned crowd .

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Always an interesting discussion comparing these two. I give the slightest edge to Duncan. I think he was put in a much better situation to succeed (in terms of championships).

They were very different players, both dominant in varying ways. Elite two-way players that cared more about their team than themselves.

It’s not hard to believe KG would have had similar success in San Antonio had he been drafted alongside The Admiral whilst Duncan’s frustration with Minnesota’s incompetence grew until he forced his way out.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I agree with this assessment.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Very close players as others have said, but Duncan was far more assertive with important games on the line.  Duncan made sure his team won a lot of games in a way that KG never had in him.