Author Topic: Timberwolves aggressively shopping Wiggins  (Read 5476 times)

Re: Timberwolves aggressively shopping Wiggins
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They should target Beal and see if the Wizards are willing to lean into the cap disaster of Wall's deal and just collect draft picks while getting a guy that will put up some shiny scoring numbers in a lot of Ls. Offer a 1st or two and maybe a flippable role player and see what happens.

If you are Washington you probably have to seriously consider it.  That team is in cap purgatory right now.  Might as well take a bad contract and get some good draft picks while you wait it out.  I mean what is the othe option for them?   Basically wait it out.  No one is taking Wall’s contract without a goldmine.

Betting on Minnesota's incompetence is not that risky of a proposition lol. Something like Wiggins + #11 + unprotected 2021 or 22 1st for Beal probably doesn't look too bad with what the Wizards are staring down. If it's not enough push for including Saric or Okogie.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 04:14:03 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
They should target Beal and see if the Wizards are willing to lean into the cap disaster of Wall's deal and just collect draft picks while getting a guy that will put up some shiny scoring numbers in a lot of Ls. Offer a 1st or two and maybe a flippable role player and see what happens.

If you are Washington you probably have to seriously consider it.  That team is in cap purgatory right now.  Might as well take a bad contract and get some good draft picks while you wait it out.  I mean what is the othe option for them?   Basically wait it out.  No one is taking Wall’s contract without a goldmine.

Betting on Minnesota's incompetence is not that risky of a proposition lol. Something like Wiggins + #11 + unprotected 2021 or 22 1st for Beal probably doesn't look too bad with what the Wizards are staring down. If it's not enough push for including Saric or Okogie.

I don’t think Wizards make a move until a GM is hired, but if I was them I would try to collect as many assets as possible for Beal, use them to get rid of Wall and excite your fans about the tank ‘process’ like Philly did.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 05:50:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I disagree.  If Washington is moving Beal for a ton of picks, they can certainly get back salary that doesn’t have four years left on the deal and/or a ton of bad habits to teach the young players they’d acquire with said picks.  There are plenty of guys with two years left who’d fit Beal’s salary.  Or if they’re going to lean into Wiggins contract, they could just send Jabari Parker and Dwight Howard’s expiring deals.

I’d say Wiggins is the most disappointing #1 in a decade, but then I remembered Fultz.  Even so, Wiggins has been incredibly disappointing.  If I were a team with a terrific coach I might take the gamble and get some picks for taking him on.  Brooklyn should look into it if they whiff in free agency.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Beal has two years left on his deal.  They should be able to get something comparable to that offer without taking on Wiggins’ contract for the next four years.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 05:58:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think a big problem we had last year was having too many guys with a similar game. Wiggins is another one of those guys with no a lot of drive.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 06:32:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I disagree.  If Washington is moving Beal for a ton of picks, they can certainly get back salary that doesn’t have four years left on the deal and/or a ton of bad habits to teach the young players they’d acquire with said picks.  There are plenty of guys with two years left who’d fit Beal’s salary.  Or if they’re going to lean into Wiggins contract, they could just send Jabari Parker and Dwight Howard’s expiring deals.

I’d say Wiggins is the most disappointing #1 in a decade, but then I remembered Fultz.  Even so, Wiggins has been incredibly disappointing.  If I were a team with a terrific coach I might take the gamble and get some picks for taking him on.  Brooklyn should look into it if they whiff in free agency.
Wiggins isn't even the most disappointing Canadian #1 this decade ;) Although forgetting that Anthony Bennett ever played in the NBA, let alone was a number 1 pick, is forgivable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 06:41:55 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Thought he was touted to become the next LeBron back in 2014.

He and Parker were considered locks to be stars by everyone... Today nobody wants them. To be fair Parker suffered some serious injuries but his had doesn't look like is in the correct place

Just a small reminder , how difficult is to predict the development of 19yo

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

He and Parker were considered locks to be stars by everyone... Today nobody wants them. To be fair Parker suffered some serious injuries but his had doesn't look like is in the correct place

Giannis was a starving scrony teen from out of no where to the NBA ,  its impossible to tell....but MOTOR and Mindset are huge factors .

TP ....Wiggins and Parker were the " Sure" thing .   Wiggins is Uncle Snooze 2.0 .   Parker too many problems for his ego to cope with.

Too many are spoiled early and think they don't have to work at pro basketball. 

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 08:12:41 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
They think New Orleans is dumb enough to trade that #4 pick for him.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Wiggins isn't even the most disappointing Canadian #1 this decade ;) Although forgetting that Anthony Bennett ever played in the NBA, let alone was a number 1 pick, is forgivable

Thanks for the forgiveness.  I completely forgot about Anthony Bennett.  That said, I never felt Bennett should have been the #1 pick, or even a top 5 pick, so I guess that’s why I’m less disappointed about him.  I was all in on Wiggins.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Giannis was a starving scrony teen from out of no where to the NBA ,  its impossible to tell....but MOTOR and Mindset are huge factors .

TP ....Wiggins and Parker were the " Sure" thing .   Wiggins is Uncle Snooze 2.0 .   Parker too many problems for his ego to cope with.

Too many are spoiled early and think they don't have to work at pro basketball.

IQ, motor and toughness. You either have these or you don't. Players that have this usually were role players who turned into All-Stars/Superstars (Giannis, Kawhi, Draymond, Butler, Big Ben, Rodman, etc.) And these traits are difficult to identify until you see them on a daily basis.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thanks for the forgiveness.  I completely forgot about Anthony Bennett.  That said, I never felt Bennett should have been the #1 pick, or even a top 5 pick, so I guess that’s why I’m less disappointed about him.  I was all in on Wiggins.
Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking. Oladipo and Noel were my guys in that draft. I wonder if Bennett could've been a role-player, or at least serviceable in some role, had he been drafted lower and to a decent team, like Dallas or us.
I too was in on Wiggins. Couldn't predict how he turned out though to be fair. He has all the tools
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290

Yeah Bennett was certainly a worse #1 pick, but expectations were much lower so I can see Wiggins being the bigger disappointment between the two. I'm not optimistic on Fultz, but I'll wait another year or two to write him off completely.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean on the court Bennet was worse, that is undeniable.

But I'd honestly my number 1 pick wash out and get moved on from quickly than flash just enough talent to trick the team's GM/Owner into investing a max deal and then plateauing into a rotation player.

Both mistakes hurt, one only hurts for two years.,,,,

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Contracts aside, Wiggins is easily the best out of Bennett, Fultz and Parker. If he made Smart’s money, he wouldn’t even be that bad of a contract. A scorer who isn’t much of a defender. Sounds like a decent role player
- LilRip