Author Topic: Something big will happen I predict fireworks  (Read 4349 times)

Re: Something big will happen I predict fireworks
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 01:31:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Yes The brow isn’t coming to Boston and I couldn’t be happier. Will Irving leave who knows. If he does do you think Danny will just sit by and watch him leave without trying to do something big?Hell no these guys eat sleep breathe basketball. He could have some stuff already lined for draft night. We don’t know anything. Every fan thinks they could run this team better and loves to live in fantasty land. People don’t get how hard of a job it is. This draft is huge for Ainge and must hit it out of the park with these three picks.All in all you can judge a off season before it has already started. Sit back next few weeks will be fun whatever direction this team goes in. Ainge has something planned just takes time for it to come together.

We just saw Danny's 5+-year master plan not come to fruition. I'm thinking that Plan B (whatever it is) isn't gonna come together anytime soon.

Danny has no "master plan." He adapts every year and makes moves that he thinks are best.

The whole idea that every move for the last half decade was leading up to the Davis pursuit, and that now that it's failed we are floundering, is utter nonsense. By most accounts Danny did what he always does--he offered a fairly low-ball offer and then walked away. We still have talent and assets that almost any team in the league would envy.

That strategy has gotten us to the ECF or semifinals three years in a row, which only GSW can say by comparison. I suspect that Danny is now thinking about 5 different ways to improve the team that none of us in the peanut gallery have even contemplated for two seconds.

Really? I thought it was pretty much an open secret that Danny's had his eye on Davis for years.

I'm sure Danny's had lots of thoughts and ideas and plans that we haven't contemplated, and has a lot of options at his disposal, but I'm pretty confident that going into the coming season with a starting lineup of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford was not his first or even second option—in other words, the current situation is not what he was hoping for. I think he figured on having at least one star, maybe even two. Something significant could still happen between now and training camp, but I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on that.

And while Boston certainly isn't floundering, I don't think the Cs are exactly flourishing, either. Horford is still officially a question mark, and besides that he's getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to break down physically. Hayward's level of play is anyone's guess at this point. And Tatum and Brown now have a good bit of pressure on them, something they didn't have to deal with during the 2018 playoff run, and who knows how they'll respond to that. I think if everything goes Boston's way this season, the best they can hope for is the No. 4 seed, and that's not really "legit contender" territory, which is all I really care about.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 03:19:33 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yes The brow isn’t coming to Boston and I couldn’t be happier. Will Irving leave who knows. If he does do you think Danny will just sit by and watch him leave without trying to do something big?Hell no these guys eat sleep breathe basketball. He could have some stuff already lined for draft night. We don’t know anything. Every fan thinks they could run this team better and loves to live in fantasty land. People don’t get how hard of a job it is. This draft is huge for Ainge and must hit it out of the park with these three picks.All in all you can judge a off season before it has already started. Sit back next few weeks will be fun whatever direction this team goes in. Ainge has something planned just takes time for it to come together.

We just saw Danny's 5+-year master plan not come to fruition. I'm thinking that Plan B (whatever it is) isn't gonna come together anytime soon.

Danny has no "master plan." He adapts every year and makes moves that he thinks are best.

The whole idea that every move for the last half decade was leading up to the Davis pursuit, and that now that it's failed we are floundering, is utter nonsense. By most accounts Danny did what he always does--he offered a fairly low-ball offer and then walked away. We still have talent and assets that almost any team in the league would envy.

That strategy has gotten us to the ECF or semifinals three years in a row, which only GSW can say by comparison. I suspect that Danny is now thinking about 5 different ways to improve the team that none of us in the peanut gallery have even contemplated for two seconds.

"Assets that almost any team in the league would envy"?  You sound like you're stuck in 2016. What's our ceiling if we're going through with the youth movement? 4th in the east?

And which player who could turn us into a contender do you see becoming available for our hodgepodge of "assets"? Giannis?

We have absolutely nowhere to go. The rebuild has failed.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 03:33:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hayward for Kevin Love. 

Brown, Smart, Memphis 1st for Beal

Kyrie returns to reunite with Love.

Kyrie, Beal, Tatum, Love, Horford

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Lol I expect 3 rookies drafted, kyrie leaving, Rozier QO-ing and 2 lukewarm signings with a split MLE. Not fireworks at all.

But during the season, I do expect a Hayward resurgence, Rozier continuing to sulk and get traded midway for a draft pick, and another significant injury (Baynes? Smart? Brown?)
- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Disagree. Not expecting Ainge to do anything big this summer now that AD is off the table.

The team is in a "wait and see" mode until Gordon Hayward shows what he is capable of. His trade value is in the toilet. And Ainge has gotta be reluctant to trade Jaylen or Tatum without knowing Hayward can actually step up and replace them.

So I believe the team will stand still for the most part (MLE signing, draft picks only) and head into next season with the same core group as they have now. Then reevaluate after they see what Gordon Hayward can offer a year on in his recovering with the answer to that heavily influencing their next step.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 06:30:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Disagree. Not expecting Ainge to do anything big this summer now that AD is off the table.

The team is in a "wait and see" mode until Gordon Hayward shows what he is capable of. His trade value is in the toilet. And Ainge has gotta be reluctant to trade Jaylen or Tatum without knowing Hayward can actually step up and replace them.

So I believe the team will stand still for the most part (MLE signing, draft picks only) and head into next season with the same core group as they have now. Then reevaluate after they see what Gordon Hayward can offer a year on in his recovering with the answer to that heavily influencing their next step.
I'm with you on this one. I don't feel as though Danny is going to lash out at a deal and potentially overpay because his plans fell through. I think they're going to regroup, try and fill out the roster with good picks and exception-level players, see how the Jays and Gordy come back, and then go from there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Fireworks:

All the other team will snag guys like Beal, Capela, Rubio and we're left in the dust.

There's your fireworks this summer.

getting Rubio or Capela counts as firework ?!!??

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:55 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I hope for fireworks but I expect something midseason.
Need to gauge values of players first.
Might see a couple of the picks go though.

might see something like:

Thon Maker for Yabu, cash and pick 51
Frank Nkitilina for pick 22
Full MLE on Ross or Lamb
resign Marcus Morris
resign Wannamaker
Draft Johnson at 14
Draft Claxton at 20

Smart/Frank/wannamaker
Brown/Ross/Thybulle
Tatum/Hayward/Semi
Horford/Morris/Claxton
Baynes/Maker/Williams

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sorry, but I think you are way off base and likely you will be disappointed.  Comments below in Celtic green.

Yes The brow isn’t coming to Boston and I couldn’t be happier. Will Irving leave who knows.[He's leaving.] If he does do you think Danny will just sit by and watch him leave without trying to do something big? [Only if he can be wise with the assets, otherwise he will NOT do something big.  The AD discussion proved that.]Hell no these guys eat sleep breathe basketball. He could have some stuff already lined for draft night.  We don’t know anything. [That's not really true.  We know quite a bit.] Every fan thinks they could run this team better and loves to live in fantasty land. People don’t get how hard of a job it is. This draft is huge for Ainge and must hit it out of the park with these three picks. [You're kidding, right?  After the top-3 or 4, this is one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.] All in all you can judge a off season before it has already started. Sit back next few weeks will be fun whatever direction this team goes in. [I hope so, but I doubt it.  His hands are pretty much tied financially and most big names are likely going elsewhere.] Ainge has something planned just takes time for it to come together. [Ainge is not in control of what other GMs think.]

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 07:47:57 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

This. I’ll also add many players have big jumps in their games years 3 or 4.   I’d like to see if that actually happens with Tatum and Brown or they start leveling off.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
No fireworks...just a 45-50 win team making moves that are meaningless. The C's are in nowhere land now. Just an afterthought for a championship.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Al Horford being resigned is about as explosive as i see .

Celtics with usual fart no bomb

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
No fireworks...just a 45-50 win team making moves that are meaningless. The C's are in nowhere land now. Just an afterthought for a championship.

adrift in a sea of no stars once again.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If fireworks happen at this point of offseason with no stars requesting a trade  it will be a desperation move from Danny.
The right thing to do is just wait till George or Beal are available or Detroit decide to blow it up.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
The NBA has become a 3 point shooting contest. Danny will need to find gunners with laser accuracy. That's not an easy task considering everyone is looking for the same type of player with that something extra.

We found out a few years ago that multiple mid-range picks don't really amount to a whole lot. We did get Terry which turned out to be fruitful - not much else though. Nobody wanted to trade anything of real value for these picks. Or, was willing to make a 3 for 1 trade to move up significantly.

RJ Hunter looked impressive in his one outing. Maybe there's hope there. : )

I may be mistaken I haven't heard the word "tanking" in quite a number of years. (Fyi: I haven't been following these threads as much in the past two years.)

Here's the plan....let everyone walk. Al, Terry, Marcus Morris, Kryie and Baynes. Well, not such a great plan....especially with the new draft format. Since this is just a discussion group and not the Celtics front office there's no harm in mentioning it.

The only reason I bring it up is because I don't believe any of these players can help us 2 or 3 years from now. And, there's no way we're going to contend next year.