Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1015196 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread (Southeast and Southwest pressers today)
« Reply #4095 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

fitzhickey

If we are going straight off of passing Calderon is clearly the better option, I mean the guy had an assist to turnover ratio of 4.11

So?  The guy makes the safe pass.  I'm not sure that that necessarily makes him a superior passer to Rondo, though.  Rondo gets his teammates looks that Calderon would never try for.
Rondo's risky passing is one of the special things about him. His crazy fake around the back then dish it are special

« Reply #4096 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
If we are going straight off of passing Calderon is clearly the better option, I mean the guy had an assist to turnover ratio of 4.11

So?  The guy makes the safe pass.  I'm not sure that that necessarily makes him a superior passer to Rondo, though.  Rondo gets his teammates looks that Calderon would never try for.

Lol Rondo's a stat padder to the max. I think the right term would be that Calderon has a higher IQ than Rondo also Calderon doesn't have the caliber players that Rondo has.

I mean it's either Calderon or Parker over Rondo, though if we are talking solely on running an offense you can also add Williams, Curry, and Rose over Rondo.

« Reply #4097 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lol Rondo's a stat padder to the max. I think the right term would be that Calderon has a higher IQ than Rondo also Calderon doesn't have the caliber players that Rondo has.

I mean it's either Calderon or Parker over Rondo, though if we are talking solely on running an offense you can also add Williams, Curry, and Rose over Rondo.

I think you might be failing to appreciate a truly special PG.  I've got no interest in continuing the argument; you're wrong, but I'll let BBallTim tell you why.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4098 on: September 05, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Rondo is the best pure passer in the league. a/to ratio doesn't show me anything more than Calderon is more careful, not a better passer

« Reply #4099 on: September 05, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen

I think you might be failing to appreciate a truly special PG.

No, I appreciate Tony Parker he is one of a kind, oh you were talking about Rondo yeah I think you being a Celtics fan plays a part as to why you think so much of him. (Same thing with KG, but the thing I hate the most is how undervalued Pierce and Ray are.)

« Reply #4100 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Lots of KG talk Ron. Maybe you just made a mistake with your pick and that's that?

« Reply #4101 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
Here is a great story by mavsmoneyball.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2013/7/6/4498530/what-jose-calderon-brings-to-the-dallas-mavericks

Simply put: he's the best passer not named Chris Paul.

Defining "best" may seem frivolous to some, but let me clarify my statement: when I say best, I don't necessarily mean the flashiest, or the most effortless-looking, or even the most prolific. Many passers in the NBA today can make highlight reels (your Rubio's), or rack up stunning raw totals (your Rondo's), but don't let your eyes fool you. Jose Calderon is better than those guys. This is Calderon's ranking, yearly, in assist-to-turnover ratio, dating back to 2006-07:

'12-'13: 2nd

'11-'12: 1st

'10-11: 2nd

'09-'10: 3rd

'08-'09: 1st

'07-'08: 1st

'06-'07: 4th
Making a sweet looking dish is nice and all, but most of the time just making the correct, simple play is better, and that's what Calderon does. His height, at a deceptively tall 6'3", and patience allows him to wait and scan the defense for the proper opening. His instincts and understanding of how to run an offense, having played eight years in the states and several more abroad, are nearly unmatched. Calderon annually rates as one of the most turnover-averse point guards in basketball, helping to maximize possessions and giving teammates like Dirk Nowitzki that many more chances at doing work.

« Reply #4102 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
Lots of KG talk Ron. Maybe you just made a mistake with your pick and that's that?

Haha no and it will show come actual regular season.

« Reply #4103 on: September 05, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
His instincts and understanding of how to run an offense, having played eight years in the states and several more abroad, are nearly unmatched.

... which is why the Raptors ranked 29th in offensive efficiency in 2012, despite Calderon's #1 Assist-to-turnover ratio.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4104 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

Haha no and it will show come actual regular season.

Well alright, if you say so. I've just seen many posts by you somewhat targeting KG, seemingly for no reason. At least, nobody's prompted you by asking why you picked Chandler over him.

« Reply #4105 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
So is Ron a Celtics fan? Just curious.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4106 on: September 05, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
His instincts and understanding of how to run an offense, having played eight years in the states and several more abroad, are nearly unmatched.

... which is why the Raptors ranked 29th in offensive efficiency in 2012, despite Calderon's #1 Assist-to-turnover ratio.

What website are using because based on ESPN in 2011-12 they were #25 and Celtics were #24 in 2012-13 they were #14 and C's were #20 so I don't see the point you are trying to make...

(To clarify what I'm trying to say is that a C's led Rondo with more weapons did pretty identical to Calderon yet Rondo is a top 3 passer.

« Reply #4107 on: September 05, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen

Yes, I am a Celtics fan just that it ticks me off how people praise KG and Rondo, but don't do the same for guys like Pierce and Ray.

« Reply #4108 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes, I am a Celtics fan just that it ticks me off how people praise KG and Rondo, but don't do the same for guys like Pierce and Ray.

So, to combat that, you downgrade the best PG the Celtics have had in at least 25 years and a top-two defensive player of his generation?

« Reply #4109 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

I think Pierce gets tons of praise... there are few guys in the league I'd trust more with a final shot, and I think most CBers agree.

Ray's different since people are bitter he left. But I don't think anyone denies his talent.