Author Topic: Will Doc coach a little differently this year?  (Read 3685 times)

Re: Will Doc coach a little differently this year?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
What I don't like about next year is that we're kind of forced to play the "let's rest during the season, forget the seedings and HCA, and flip the switch for the playoffs" because Perk is out till at least January... Sure, Jermaine O'Neal or someone else will replace him but it's a big blow.

Anyway, I'm in the "rest the starters and fix a minutes limit for them during the season" camp but I wouldn't mind trying to get a higher seed. HCA never hurts.

So I hope Doc will be more "kind" with the rookies and play Bradley a lot, and even Harangody if he can contribute.

And yes, resting Ray and Pierce should definitely be our priority next year. It will help a lot to be rested for the playoffs. I loved the way Doc handled KG's minutes last year (perfectly) so hopefully we will have bench players who give Doc the possibility of spelling Paul and Ray.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Unless the bench plays a bigger role, especially in the playoffs, the big 3 will be run into the ground once again. 
The "big three" was NOT run into the ground this past season.  Their minutes were very well regulated.  Perhaps you are thinking of the 2008--2009 season when they ran out of gas.
I'm mainly talking about game 7 only, although Ray's minutes have seemed excessive since he's been here.

Ironically enough I think the only guy who should have gotten more rest was Rondo. Our offense stalled because he was gassed.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Unless the bench plays a bigger role, especially in the playoffs, the big 3 will be run into the ground once again. 

What is run into the ground?  They have played the least amount of minutes each year they have been together.  Would you guys like them to play 15 - 20 min a game and lose every night? 
Well, KG didn't handle his playoff minutes increase very well, Paul looked tired, and Ray played way too many minutes to the point that it affected his shooting.  We had a title in our hands(13 pt lead) and ran out of gas.  I really think if Doc trusted the bench a little more in that game, the C's would be champions.

I'd like to see Doc be able to keep all three under 30 minutes  in the regular season and 35 minutes through the playoffs.  That means they've got to have 2 reliable wings: a healthy TA might be one of them, but they also need a sharpshooter who can play defense.  Assuming the MLE goes to JO, the Sheed trade should get us that second wing.  I think Kwame Brown will be the new Shelden Williams, and I'm okay with that.  Add in Semih and the draft picks and add back Nate--and they're almost done.  One more developmental guard or 3 and possibly one of those super-raw Euros as a gift to Austin Ainge, and that should be it. 

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If you thought Doc rested the starters a lot last year you ain't seen nothing yet.

He will rest the vets as much as possible and give Bradley every opportunity to develop by playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gave a member of the big 3 random days off during the season in order to keep them fresh, like what Popovich did with Duncan.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While I'd like him to do limit minutes, I think it also depends on quality of the bench.  If we can bring back TA, get another solid wing, get Jermaine, and get Kwame (or another NBA center), I think he will.  If it's inferior players, it may be an issue again.  

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

What is run into the ground?  They have played the least amount of minutes each year they have been together.  Would you guys like them to play 15 - 20 min a game and lose every night? 
Well, KG didn't handle his playoff minutes increase very well, Paul looked tired, and Ray played way too many minutes to the point that it affected his shooting.  We had a title in our hands(13 pt lead) and ran out of gas.  I really think if Doc trusted the bench a little more in that game, the C's would be champions.
And I really think the reason the Celtics were even in a game 7 of the NBA Finals had more to do with the way Doc coached this team rather than any other single factor. I think it almost a minor miracle that he got the team that far in the first place.

I just don't see a need for Doc to change anything in his approach to coaching, developing players or minutes dished out. He has a better pulse on this team than anyone and I think it's time we start trusting his judgment.

I think he has earned that from us.

Your're right about Doc and how good of a job he did coaching, but you underrate the team we had last year. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Are the Celtics going to be the fifth or sixth seeds in the East next season?

Miami + Orlando + LeBron's team (if not Miami) + Chicago + Atlanta

Then Boston and Milwaukee?

Edit: Forgot about the Bulls.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:20:07 AM by Who »

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Are the Celtics going to be the fifth or sixth seeds in the East next season?

Miami + Orlando + LeBron's team (if not Miami) + Chicago + Atlanta

Then Boston and Milwaukee?

Edit: Forgot about the Bulls.

We don't know how good of a team Miami's will be until they fill out the roster.  Orlando I think we can get a higher seed than them.  The Hawks I see them taking a major step back with letting go of Mike Woodson and we don't know what team LeBron is going to go to.  If he goes to the Knicks or Nets I see us having a higher seed than both of those teams and probably Cleveland.

I think we'll win about 55 games and will be the third seed.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Only if there is a drastic change from the bench.  A real upgrade at the SG/SF spot.