Author Topic: Cs to meet wih Kwame Brown  (Read 12238 times)

Cs to meet wih Kwame Brown
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Cs to meet with Kwame Brown]http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/07/06/cs-to-meet-with-kwame-brown/
Cs to meet with Kwame Brown[/url]

As a testament to the Celtics’ willingness to kick the tires of every big man who might help the cause, Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers have set up a meeting with Kwame Brown tomorrow in Orlando.

“We’re checking out a lot of possibilities - it’s still very early in the process,” Danny Ainge said today of what is certain to be a broad casting call for big men, including Shaquille O’Neal.

Ainge said he has not set up a meeting, to this point, with O’Neal.

The 6-11 Brown spent the last two seasons with the Pistons, and in strictly a backup (13.8 minutes per game) role averaged more rebounds (3.7) than points (3.3) last season. But his value as a shot blocker (0.6 career average) may be what the Celtics are looking at now.

Brown, of, course, is better known as one of the greatest draft disappointments of all time. Michael Jordan selected him for Washington with the first pick of the 2001 draft, and as the first high school player to ever go with the No. 1 pick, Brown never came close to living up to his draft pedigree.

But after four NBA teams (Wizards, Lakers, Grizzlies, Pistons), Brown is simply attempting to catch on as an experienced backup.

“He lives pretty close to (the Orlando Summer League), so he’s going to drive down to meet with Danny and Doc,” said agent Mark Bartelstein. “They want to get to know him a little bit.”

The Celtics’ desire to meet with another of Bartelstein’s clients - veteran center Brad Miller - is on hold while the rest of the market waits for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to make decisions.

“A lot with Brad will come into play when all of that happens,” said Bartelstein, who confirmed that a team with a lot more money to spend than the Celtics - Houston - has significant interest in Miller.

Umm no thanks! I think it is just Danny and Doc checking out every possiblity. Who I'm  sure you're happy to hear this.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

C's will meet w/ Kwame Brown
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
yikes - hope he's cheap!

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/07/06/cs-to-meet-with-kwame-brown/

As a testament to the Celtics’ willingness to kick the tires of every big man who might help the cause, Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers have set up a meeting with Kwame Brown tomorrow in Orlando.

“We’re checking out a lot of possibilities - it’s still very early in the process,” Danny Ainge said today of what is certain to be a broad casting call for big men, including Shaquille O’Neal.

The 6-11 Brown spent the last two seasons with the Pistons, and in strictly a backup (13.8 minutes per game) role averaged more rebounds (3.7) than points (3.3) last season. But his value as a shot blocker (0.6 career average) may be what the Celtics are looking at now.

Brown, of, course, is better known as one of the greatest draft disappointments of all time. Michael Jordan selected him for Washington with the first pick of the 2001 draft, and as the first high school player to ever go with the No. 1 pick, Brown never came close to living up to his draft pedigree.

But after four NBA teams (Wizards, Lakers, Grizzlies, Pistons), Brown is simply attempting to catch on as an experienced backup.

“He lives pretty close to (the Orlando Summer League), so he’s going to drive down to meet with Danny and Doc,” said agent Mark Bartelstein. “They want to get to know him a little bit.”

The Celtics’ desire to meet with another of Bartelstein’s clients - veteran center Brad Miller - is on hold while the rest of the market waits for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to make decisions.

“A lot with Brad will come into play when all of that happens,” said Bartelstein, who confirmed that a team with a lot more money to spend than the Celtics - Houston - has significant interest in Miller.

Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Cs to meet wih Kwame Brown
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
For the vet min why not.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: C's will meet w/ Kwame Brown
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Another fascination with a prior #1 overall flop...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think he would be an excellent signing for the vet minimum...or even for a couple million a year (with the rest of the MLE going to either a wing like Outlaw, or a veteran big like Brad Miller).  He is a guy, like Sheldon Williams, who people overlook because he never met expectations.  However, he is still an NBA big man, and could bring some things the C's have been missing.

I certainly wouldn't be too excited by him, but they could do worse (if the price is right).

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think he would be an excellent signing for the vet minimum...or even for a couple million a year (with the rest of the MLE going to either a wing like Outlaw, or a veteran big like Brad Miller).  He is a guy, like Sheldon Williams, who people overlook because he never met expectations.  However, he is still an NBA big man, and could bring some things the C's have been missing.

I certainly wouldn't be too excited by him, but they could do worse (if the price is right).

With the way money is being thrown around I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him their MLE.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
For the vet min why not.

Patrick Obryant is a good example of why not.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Vet Min. why not? And it would actually be a good move for him since he knows he'll be getting a good amount of PT, at least until Perk returns.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I would take him over Shelden Williams in a second.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Great news. Glad to hear Danny is looking at Kwame. He'd be a very good addition.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

With the way money is being thrown around I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him their MLE.

I think the MLE money is going to dry up soon.  After Shaq, Haywood, and Mike Miller get signed, and perhaps a couple restricted guys like JJ Redick, and Childress, I think we will start seeing much more reasonable deals for guys just as good, if not better than guys who got overpaid right out of the gaits by teams that needed to make a splash like Milwaukee.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
After the initial reaction he would be an excellent signing at the vet min and I would much rather have him than Sheldon Williams.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:54:51 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think he's a good pickup for the Vet minimum.

He's not a starter, but he's a solid backup.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
yikes - hope he's cheap!

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/07/06/cs-to-meet-with-kwame-brown/

I don't know that Brown at the min would be much worse than Miller at most likely the full MLE for multiple years.

BTW, how much cap space does Houston have?

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would take him over Shelden Williams in a second.

What does he bring to the table that Sheldon doesn't? Hustle? No. Intelligence? No. Good shooting? No. Laziness? Yes. Good passing? No.

I am so not seeing it. The kid never did anything good in this league.

He belongs over seas and not on a good team or in a good league over seas