Author Topic: ESPN is a JOKE!  (Read 23449 times)

Re: ESPN is a JOKE!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I mean, dang, the guys who didn't pick the Heat picked the CELTICS. Are we just jumping down throats for jumping's sake or what?

That's pretty much how these threads work.  How dare ESPN analysts pick Miami over us!  It's not like they've beaten us in the playoffs 2 years in a row and are defending champs or anything.  ::)

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
And just to make sure everyone is on the same page, this poll of 100 ESPN experts was for who would win the Eastern Conference. we are talking the 2 time defending Eastern Conference Champs with arguably the two best players in the whole Eastern Conference on the same team.

I mean Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, Udonis Haslem, Joel Anthony and James Jones. That's a pretty good team.

Now add the best player in the world and arguably the 4th best player in the world and it becomes increasingly clear that its pretty easy to see that 96% of the people probably should pick them to win the EC. Heck they have done it for the last 2 years and healthy, should easily do it for 3.

I disagree that is not a good team that is a horrific one. I thought you were being sarcastic.

Anyone the Heat are good for one reason, Lebron. That team is lebron. They would suck plan and simple without him. Wades alright but he is possibly the most overrated "super star" in NBA history. He is a lot closer to Bosh status than Lebron status

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 11:21:02 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
And just to make sure everyone is on the same page, this poll of 100 ESPN experts was for who would win the Eastern Conference. we are talking the 2 time defending Eastern Conference Champs with arguably the two best players in the whole Eastern Conference on the same team.

I mean Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, Udonis Haslem, Joel Anthony and James Jones. That's a pretty good team.

Now add the best player in the world and arguably the 4th best player in the world and it becomes increasingly clear that its pretty easy to see that 96% of the people probably should pick them to win the EC. Heck they have done it for the last 2 years and healthy, should easily do it for 3.

I disagree that is not a good team that is a horrific one. I thought you were being sarcastic.

Anyone the Heat are good for one reason, Lebron. That team is lebron. They would suck plan and simple without him. Wades alright but he is possibly the most overrated "super star" in NBA history. He is a lot closer to Bosh status than Lebron status

That's fine, although you have to admit that a team with Dwyane Wade as it's 2nd best player is better than a team with Mo being the 2nd best.

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Either way, that horrific team won a championship last season. And now they added some significant pieces to go along with that.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8305695/2012-nba-summer-forecast-eastern-conference-champions

This is too funny. 100 of us voted on #NBApicks. 96 picked the Heat

96-4? Really? We never get any love from these idiots, do we? And what about the other teams... Philly and NJ can be legit contenders.. (nevermind the Knicks!)
If Lebron or Wade go down, they're done! But we can afford to lose KG, PP or even Rondo for some time because of our depth.. Hell, we would have even won last season's ECF in 6 games if Bosh didn't come back..

Come May and June, we'll see... we'll see!
Perhaps you don't understand what they did. 96 individuals out of 100 picked the Heat as favorites. This does not mean that any one of those individuals believes that the Heat have a 96% chance of winning the east. They might give the Heat a 45% chance, for example, the Celtics a 25% chance, etc - but they still consider the Heat the favorites.

Don't be so sensitive. I would even pick the Heat to win the East. That doesn't mean that there aren't other contenders.

So ESPN is not the joke in this thread.

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
96% chance Heat repeat...I think that sounds about right.
Yet, that isn't what the poll is saying.

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

That's fine, although you have to admit that a team with Dwyane Wade as it's 2nd best player is better than a team with Mo being the 2nd best.

The Cav's had Shaq, the Heat don't even have a center.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:50:44 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Either way, that horrific team won a championship last season. And now they added some significant pieces to go along with that.

Well, no the team that was mentioned didn't have Lebron on it. He is their team.

Also lets not exaggerate saying they added significant pieces. It's just not true. I am a Ray Allen fan and I'll admit that he is a nice piece to add but certainly wouldn't consider him a significant signing. I don't think if we re-signed him people were going to be talking about how vital the signing was.

And Rashard Lewis is just laughable. He is low risk high reward player. Certainly is not a lock at all to be a "significant piece". I'd say his odds of being significant to them are like 10%

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 04:18:57 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

And it's kind of funny how when Lebron's second best player was Zydrunas Ilgauskas they made a finals appearance and had several better records than the heat have in the regular season past couple years.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yep Bron , like always , IS the team , Wade is maybe half as good as he was in the Shaq days.

Bron has finally grown up and now knows how to take over and carry the team , like Kobe once could do to win no matter how sucky the rest of the team is playing.

I think we have enough guys (fouls) to cover Bron this year.

At some point his energy will wane.   He can't go full bore 80+ games 40 minutes but so long and something will have to give. Anything less than a 100% game from James everynight and the HEAT are beatable.

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I am a little confused. 

If we were all down to our last $100 and were told by a Supreme Being that we had to put it all down on the C's or Heat to win the East --- I bet close to 96% of CBloggers would hold their nose and pick the Heat.

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Well, no the team that was mentioned didn't have Lebron on it. He is their team.

Also lets not exaggerate saying they added significant pieces. It's just not true. I am a Ray Allen fan and I'll admit that he is a nice piece to add but certainly wouldn't consider him a significant signing. I don't think if we re-signed him people were going to be talking about how vital the signing was.

And Rashard Lewis is just laughable. He is low risk high reward player. Certainly is not a lock at all to be a "significant piece". I'd say his odds of being significant to them are like 10%

I agree that the team above would be even worse than Bosh's Raptors team. Sadly, that's not the case.

Ray Allen would be a significant piece to any team, especially the Heat (or Lakers/Thunder for that matter). He was a 15 PPG scorer earlier last season and was a critical piece to our scoring. Ray Allen is going to have a huge impact for the Heat offensively - Those curl screens Doc ran for Ray Allen demanded defensive attention. Everybody in the league knows how dangerous he is, and that's why they try their best to not give him open looks. But the problem is : What happens when Lebron and Wade drive to the rim and also demand defensive attention/assistance? Any spot up shooters will thrive playing with the Heat - and it just so happens that Ray is the best spot up shooter in the league. Ray fits in so well with the Heat that it's not fair.

Saying Ray Allen will not be significant for the Heat is like saying Jason Terry's ability to create off the dribble won't be significant for the Celtics.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Out West

Lakers - 56
Thunder - 42
Nuggets - 1
Spurs - 1

I see nothing wrong with either the East or the West (except for Denver and San An, those two guys are just odd).

I can see SA. Not Denver though.

If someone can vote for Denver over LA and OKC I am a little surprised that same person can't vote for Brooklyn, NY, or Philly over Miami or Boston.

Denver is going to turn some heads this year and be a great team under Karl. I still think they are one veteran playoff tested banger away from contention however. Not this year. And you can never count out the spurs as long as Duncan is in uni.

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
With the best player in the game and the 2nd or 3rd best player it would be an embarrassment for the Heat to lose the ECF any year in the next 6 seasons or so.

I just hope it's the Celts dishing out that embarrassment and not anybody else.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
yep Bron , like always , IS the team , Wade is maybe half as good as he was in the Shaq days.

Bron has finally grown up and now knows how to take over and carry the team , like Kobe once could do to win no matter how sucky the rest of the team is playing.

I think we have enough guys (fouls) to cover Bron this year.

At some point his energy will wane.   He can't go full bore 80+ games 40 minutes but so long and something will have to give. Anything less than a 100% game from James everynight and the HEAT are beatable.

The guy HAS to be on PEDs.  He's bigger than Dwight Howard, faster than Westbrook, jumps higher than McGee, etc., and he doesn't fatigue.

$100 says LeBron James has bacne.