Author Topic: If we get lucky with Kings pick  (Read 3444 times)

Re: If we get lucky with Kings pick
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I take Barrett. And don't bother with AD. C's could become the next Warriors in 2 years.

Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Horford
Smart, Hayward, Baynes

Plus Clippers and C's pick.
Then Grizz first in 2020.

One thing I am not sure about is if you were able to deal Hayward and Clippers 1st for cap relief. If Horford is up with that cap relief maybe you have enough $ to sign AD. Again not 100% sure but man Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Davis and Smart as your core is nuts.

Agree, that would be nuts.

But I think Ainge has already made up his mind about trading for AD and it would cost the Celts Jayson Tatum.
If he made up his mind this early than he isn't a good GM. Getting a top three pick is franchise changing you don't have to deal Tatum for a 4 year compete window of Davis and Irving. Instead you have a 10 year window with Tatum, Brown and Barrett.
2 All-NBA caliber players = 4 year window

2 young guys who have shown the potential to maybe one day be All-Stars, if all goes well, and one guy who hasn't proven anything in the NBA = 10 year window

C'mon man.
How do you think the NBA works? You have to build from somewhere and every great player had to grow to be great. You cant dismiss obvious talent that Tatum, Brown, and Barrett show at their ages. Also there is still room for Irving and Davis if you manage the cap. You get all of it. Don't dismiss the full conversation
You just said prior to my reply that getting a window of Davis and Kyrie would involve dealing Tatum.

I get that every great player had to grow to be great. What I'm saying is it doesn't look like our young guys are on that track. Kevin Durant and LBJ were already borderline MVP candidates by their second year. Steph was already scratching 50/40/90 on 18.6PPG in his second season. Kyrie was averaging 22/6/4 in his second season. Paul George was an All-Star in his third season. AD was averaging 24/10/2/3/1.4 by his 3rd season. Heck, even Giannis' third season was better than the season's our young guys have put together.

The only #1 option on a true contender I can think of who didn't look like they were going to dominate from day 1 is Kawhi, but he is by no means the rule. Plus, he got to be coached by arguably the greatest coach ever.

All I'm saying is I don't have hopes for JT & JB ever developing into more than DeMar DeRozan type All-Star players. AD and Kyrie have already eclipsed that level, and would give us a definite shot. I dunno that building around our youth would
I'd didn't say it had to take Tatum it was the other poster I quoted. I said try to stay as is, clear cap and sign AD. Idea is you then still have Irving, Brown, Barrett and Tatum to go with Davis. A much longer window.

As for guys showing a greater promise you had the answer already. Guys like KD and LeBron ect those guys had no player to differ to and were given the keys day one as the stars so their growth was substantial. Leonard did have guys on his team thus he grew slower. There is actually a lot of stuff written on growth that show the same plays out every where. Guys grow faster when given the keys early. Tatum and Brown never given that so it's slow.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:32:32 AM by Csfan1984 »

Re: If we get lucky with Kings pick
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 01:48:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I take Barrett. And don't bother with AD. C's could become the next Warriors in 2 years.

Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Horford
Smart, Hayward, Baynes

Plus Clippers and C's pick.
Then Grizz first in 2020.

One thing I am not sure about is if you were able to deal Hayward and Clippers 1st for cap relief. If Horford is up with that cap relief maybe you have enough $ to sign AD. Again not 100% sure but man Irving, Brown, Barrett, Tatum, Davis and Smart as your core is nuts.

Agree, that would be nuts.

But I think Ainge has already made up his mind about trading for AD and it would cost the Celts Jayson Tatum.
If he made up his mind this early than he isn't a good GM. Getting a top three pick is franchise changing you don't have to deal Tatum for a 4 year compete window of Davis and Irving. Instead you have a 10 year window with Tatum, Brown and Barrett.
I laugh at the whole "10 year window" thing. You do realize that it is extremely likely that core is a 0 year window instead? Neither Tatum nor Brown have shown they can be players you build around, and we have no idea what Barrett will be.
Brown and Tatum have shown plenty when at the lead last year. When you have a coach that doesn't feature them in more sets you can't blame them. So long as BS is giving Irving and Rozier 40 shots along with Morris wasting playing time we won't get a chance to really see again what Tatum and Brown were doing last year.

Also as I said you might be able to create the cap space to have Irving and Davis with that core. That makes more sense to try for than deal for Davis.
First of all, Al Horford was the leader of that playoff push, no question. Without him playing out of his mind, we would've lost to the Bucks in the first round. Secondly, your next point make no sense, as Kyrie has a rather low usage rate compared to most stars in the league, and Tatum's shot selection has gotten significantly worse with the increased amount of shots he has taken, so what makes you think more shots would remedy that? Brown was horrible at the beginning of the season with the touches he was getting, so... we should give him more shots? Why? Last of all, you realize that if all of these players are as good as you think they are, you will need to pay them, right? There goes any cap space we would gain.
Horford played well but he wasn't forcing the point of attack like Irving does taking away Tatum and Brown's strengths. We don't see plays draw up for guys like we saw last year which is the point. It's not simply shots it's plays in the offense, a design that creates flow and chemistry. Oh wait isn't that what everyone complains about... yes it is. So that is what I am saying you have to use guys in a system. That is how you feature guys, not green light break away shots. It's not all shots, it's pick and roll back door, screens, post ups ect. Getting these guys back to the action they had last year not just standing at a the wing till Irving says your turn for an ISO.
Except your logic is flawed because you're acting like Kyrie is some ball hog that needs everything to revolve around him, which is statistically false, and is just a narrative that people like to regurgitate ad nauseam. I'm not saying that the coaching has been the best this year, but Tatum and Brown have done nothing to improve on their game, and only look worse in comparison to last year.
You clearly aren't getting it if you think that is my logic. I'm not blaming Irving I am blaming the coaching and have been saying they showed more last year and they were feature in sets, in plays and the team ran more structure. They excelled in that setting. Clearly BS has adopted play through Irving and they aren't doing the same stuff and look worse this year. Now you agree with that in the last part of your statement so what's the beef with what I have said?
My beef is all of the excuses these young guys get to divert the blame from them. It's always Brad's fault, or Kyrie and Morris shoot too much, or Hayward ruined the chemistry, or some other excuse. I want to see improvement, not reasons why they aren't improving. I also feel like many people embellish how different last year was compared to this year. Unless Brad became 50 IQ points dumber, we still have the same coach. The roster is pretty much the same, except Hayward, who really doesn't take many shots. Our offense has actually improved in points per game.
You want them to do more. I tell you they aren't being set up to do more. Call it an excuse but all you have to do is watch game play break downs between last playoffs and this year and the proof is all right there. The team isn't being run the same and isn't playing the same, that's the truth.