Poll

How confident you feel;  Cs beat Philly in 2nd round?

No Problem; Very confident
16 (11.7%)
Looks very possible; Mostly confident
60 (43.8%)
Unlikely; Not very confident
54 (39.4%)
We are going to get creamed; Not a chance
7 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: POLL: How confident do you feel; Cs beat Philly in 2nd round?  (Read 9999 times)

Re: POLL: How confident do you feel; Cs beat Philly in 2nd round?
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I am having a hard time convincing myself that the Sixers are all that much better than the Bucks.  Is Embiid better than Greek F?  Simmons is probably better than Middleton but not a better scoring option.  The Sixers seem to be the hotter team for sure and did have a better record overall than the Bucks but it should be pretty evenly matched I would think.

Game 1 is important.  We don't want to give away home court.
The Sixers are a much better team than the Bucks.  They have more top end talent (i.e. 2 to 1 on legit stars), they have better role players, and the role players fit much better with their 2 stars.  They also have a much better coach.  Bret Brown is the one coach left in the East that can legitimately match Stevens on an in game adjustment basis.

I like how you just multiply Giannis x 2 to get Simmons and Embiid as if they're remotely equal and completely dismiss how effective Middleton was. The Bucks played better than the Sixers are playing (and I believe CAN play).
Middleton isn't nearly as good as Simmons or Embiid.  The fact that he went off, shouldn't be used as a positive, it should be used as the negative it is.

I really don't care (and neither should you) about your perceived value of Khris Middleton. That's another debate that we could have and I will probably agree with you. Perhaps he's not as good of a player as Simmons and will never replicate this performance ever again. That's not the point. I'm referring to what actually happened. Middleton scored 24.6 ppg shooting 61% from 3pt and 59.8% overall against a stingy defense. And we beat them. And then you try to downplay what we just went up against and beat by citing that the Sixers have better role players (lumping Middleton into the role players bucket by process of not mentioning him) and by claiming that it's a negative (presumably because the Celtics defense was so horrible that even Middleton played great)? It doesn't line up with what we saw. The guy had some open looks, sure (who doesn't?). But he also drilled contested shots over and over again. I think that he was the 2nd best player on either team (if it's not Horford).

I respectfully think that your line of reasoning is disingenuous and that we should retrospectively consider Middleton a star for this particular playoff series.
Middleton has never shot better than 46.7% from the field in any season (his career best TS% is 57.7).  The fact that he shot 59.8% (71.7 TS%) doesn't mean he is a world class player, it means that Boston let a guy perform out of his butt.  Middleton is a role player.  He is a #3 type player at best as he has been his entire career.  He is slightly better than someone like JJ Redick (per 36, Redick actually scored more per game than Middleton did this year on a much higher TS% so it isn't as crazy as it may sound at first blush). 

The Sixers are a significantly better team than the Bucks.   

Both are really good shooters. But Middleton, due to his length, is tougher to defend. And I like JJ Redick, he will give us problems.  Redick is probably a better player defensively as well.

Of course the Sixers are a better team. But for some reason we just seem to defend Sixers better than we do the Bucks.  We are able to neutralize Embiid and Simmons better than we can Giannis and Middleton.  Whether that will remain true with our depleted roster will be answered very shortly.

I always saw Redick as a spot up shooter and Middleton as a more versatile scorer. I think Redick is easier to defend. Correct me if I'm wrong I only saw The 76ers a dozen or so times this year, including the playoffs. I was less impressed with them than what I see people writing about them.

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I am having a hard time convincing myself that the Sixers are all that much better than the Bucks.  Is Embiid better than Greek F?  Simmons is probably better than Middleton but not a better scoring option.  The Sixers seem to be the hotter team for sure and did have a better record overall than the Bucks but it should be pretty evenly matched I would think.

The Sixers are a much better team than the Bucks.  They have more top end talent (i.e. 2 to 1 on legit stars), they have better role players, and the role players fit much better with their 2 stars.  They also have a much better coach.  Bret Brown is the one coach left in the East that can legitimately match Stevens on an in game adjustment basis.

I like how you just multiply Giannis x 2 to get Simmons and Embiid as if they're remotely equal and completely dismiss how effective Middleton was. The Bucks played better than the Sixers are playing (and I believe CAN play).
Middleton isn't nearly as good as Simmons or Embiid.  The fact that he went off, shouldn't be used as a positive, it should be used as the negative it is.

I really don't care (and neither should you) about your perceived value of Khris Middleton. That's another debate that we could have and I will probably agree with you. Perhaps he's not as good of a player as Simmons and will never replicate this performance ever again. That's not the point. I'm referring to what actually happened. Middleton scored 24.6 ppg shooting 61% from 3pt and 59.8% overall against a stingy defense. And we beat them. And then you try to downplay what we just went up against and beat by citing that the Sixers have better role players (lumping Middleton into the role players bucket by process of not mentioning him) and by claiming that it's a negative (presumably because the Celtics defense was so horrible that even Middleton played great)? It doesn't line up with what we saw. The guy had some open looks, sure (who doesn't?). But he also drilled contested shots over and over again. I think that he was the 2nd best player on either team (if it's not Horford).

I respectfully think that your line of reasoning is disingenuous and that we should retrospectively consider Middleton a star for this particular playoff series.
Middleton has never shot better than 46.7% from the field in any season (his career best TS% is 57.7).  The fact that he shot 59.8% (71.7 TS%) doesn't mean he is a world class player, it means that Boston let a guy perform out of his butt.  Middleton is a role player.  He is a #3 type player at best as he has been his entire career.  He is slightly better than someone like JJ Redick (per 36, Redick actually scored more per game than Middleton did this year on a much higher TS% so it isn't as crazy as it may sound at first blush). 

Both are really good shooters. But Middleton, due to his length, is tougher to defend. And I like JJ Redick, he will give us problems.  Redick is probably a better player defensively as well.

Of course the Sixers are a better team. But for some reason we just seem to defend Sixers better than we do the Bucks.  We are able to neutralize Embiid and Simmons better than we can Giannis and Middleton.  Whether that will remain true with our depleted roster will be answered very shortly.
If you think JJ Redick is better than Middleton on defense I have to question if you've ever seen either play basketball. That is totally absurd.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I spit my drink out.

Look guys, we're entering absurdity here. It doesn't matter how good Middleton is. He played amazing. Superstar level. Moranis has the only point here that could be an actual point: Did the Celtics enable him to play well by playing poor defense? But I just don't buy it. I can certainly remember way more "how is he playing this good?" situations compared to "how are we leaving him wide open?" situations. Same with Giannis. For 6 games he was scoring from everywhere.

I don't know if I'm missing something here or if you guys just didn't watch the games. Giannis and Middleton played better than anything I've seen from Simmons and Embiid. If you want to go down the list of Redick vs Parker and Covington vs Thon Maker, fine, whatever. I don't care enough to argue who's better because all 4 are pretty average to me. But please do not put Middleton's series vs us into the role player bucket and please do not forget that we survived a series against 2 players who played at superstar level. That alone should tell you that we can win this series vs the Sixers.

Easy, Erik.  Redick is actually a very good defensive player.  Middleton not known to be, although better than his rep. 

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Vegas has us at +420 to win this series. Seems a little crazy they are giving us 4-1 odds

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Vegas has us at +420 to win this series. Seems a little crazy they are giving us 4-1 odds
Of the 4 remaining teams in the East, 76ers are the favorites to win the conference.   Boston at the bottom.  Most experts expect Philly to crush us in 5 or 6.

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I'll be 420 big time if we lose it will be the only way I'll get any sleep lol! ;D

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I spit my drink out.

Look guys, we're entering absurdity here. It doesn't matter how good Middleton is. He played amazing. Superstar level. Moranis has the only point here that could be an actual point: Did the Celtics enable him to play well by playing poor defense? But I just don't buy it. I can certainly remember way more "how is he playing this good?" situations compared to "how are we leaving him wide open?" situations. Same with Giannis. For 6 games he was scoring from everywhere.

I don't know if I'm missing something here or if you guys just didn't watch the games. Giannis and Middleton played better than anything I've seen from Simmons and Embiid. If you want to go down the list of Redick vs Parker and Covington vs Thon Maker, fine, whatever. I don't care enough to argue who's better because all 4 are pretty average to me. But please do not put Middleton's series vs us into the role player bucket and please do not forget that we survived a series against 2 players who played at superstar level. That alone should tell you that we can win this series vs the Sixers.

Easy, Erik. Redick is actually a very good defensive player.  Middleton not known to be, although better than his rep.

Is this really true? I feel like when he first came up he was a pretty bad defensive player (and he worked really hard on that end, like he did on his entire game), to become about average. I find it a bit hard to believe that a guy that had slow footspeed to begin with and isn't very athletic to start, is about to turn 34 is considered a very good defensive player by anyone. This take also doesn't seem to jive with what I have read on the sixers sites or even in articles like this

https://thesixersense.com/2017/08/16/philadelphia-76ers-jj-redick-defensive-flaws-covered-up/

The Ringer also seems to jive with this:

"His lack of elite size or speed makes his individual defense only passable, but he’s a capable team defender who can fulfill his role in a scheme, execute the game plan and help Brown hold his younger teammates accountable."

https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/1/16040754/2017-nba-free-agency-jj-redick-sixers-deal-8fd59fd73969

So again... I agree that this thread has gotten off the rails when people start calling him a "very good defender"

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Of the 4 remaining teams in the East, 76ers are the favorites to win the conference.   Boston at the bottom.  Most experts expect Philly to crush us in 5 or 6.

Hey, LB. What brought you out of retirement?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Hey, LB. What brought you out of retirement?

I did it

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Great game 1
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2018, 02:33:38 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I spit my drink out.

Easy, Erik. Redick is actually a very good defensive player.  Middleton not known to be, although better than his rep.

Is this really true? I feel like when he first came up he was a pretty bad defensive player (and he worked really hard on that end, like he did on his entire game), to become about average. I find it a bit hard to believe that a guy that had slow footspeed to begin with and isn't very athletic to start, is about to turn 34 is considered a very good defensive player by anyone. This take also doesn't seem to jive with what I have read on the sixers sites or even in articles like this

https://thesixersense.com/2017/08/16/philadelphia-76ers-jj-redick-defensive-flaws-covered-up/

The Ringer also seems to jive with this:

"His lack of elite size or speed makes his individual defense only passable, but he’s a capable team defender who can fulfill his role in a scheme, execute the game plan and help Brown hold his younger teammates accountable."

https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/1/16040754/2017-nba-free-agency-jj-redick-sixers-deal-8fd59fd73969

So again... I agree that this thread has gotten off the rails when people start calling him a "very good defender"

Some real good coverage of reddicka defensive issues in the ringer

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2018, 03:54:29 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Did you even watch the series? Middleton wasn’t getting wide open looks in the corners or layups against matador d.

He was putting in work against good defense and just hitting some incredibly difficult shots. His craftiness in the post was also tough to defend.

To try to disparage his success against our defense is pretty ridiculous.

Someone who only looks at the box scores could say that we let him score too much. I recall a lot less easy buckets for him than you must.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I started this by saying that even though there was considerable buzz around the Sixers, I was just not seeing a team any better than the Bucks, at least how the Bucks played in the series.  Hard to come back after watching the game last night (I actually listened on the radio) and say the Sixers are significantly better than the Bucks.

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2018, 08:23:58 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

You have to remember that Vegas odds are based on how they think people will bet or even the actual betting trends, not on who the experts think will win or who is better.  I suspect that most money was going down on the Sixers based on the hype and the buzz.

We have a long way to go in this series and I expect we are going to see more from the Sixers before we are done but these odds do not reflect the actual ability of the two teams.  The Sixers got overrated along the way.  They are not 4x better.  I forecast a tight series.

Welcome back LB.  Nothing like an unexpected Cinderella playoff run to bring back some of the old instigators.  Is BBallTim going to be next (to jump on the Rondo bandwagon)?

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2018, 11:50:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
C’s are 9 point underdogs tomorrow on one site  :P