Author Topic: New expectations for Rondo?  (Read 12655 times)

New expectations for Rondo?
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The last 5 games Rondo has scored 83 points. The 4 games b4 that he only scored 13 points lol. I've never seen a player transform like this. Rondo was soooo bad calling it a slump would be unfair. I thought he was on the verge of getting kicked out of the league. If Rondo can score 15+ a game the Celtics will hit the 100 point mark every night.

Re: New expectations for Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Having watched Rondo throughout his career in Boston, and then seeing what he's done lately, yes, I think it's pretty safe to say that it was just a slump.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Having watched Rondo throughout his career in Boston, and then seeing what he's done lately, yes, I think it's pretty safe to say that it was just a slump.

Definitely a slump.

I just don't know what to call what's happening now in these last 5 games. Rondo's being so aggressive with the ball in his hands. I hope this Rondo decides to stay, and if so it'll be the Big 4. 

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Hey all first post on here, long time reader looking forward to being a contributer here.

Rondo struggled a few games I think more than anything it's just getting back into the routine after the summer.  I've felt that our team this year will be (and I think already is) better than last years team.  Most of that has to come from his improvement in the second year with these guys.  Love his game and his potential I really don't care if he makes the all star or not I hope he does but us beating the Lakers again for #18 will work for me.  If he keeps playing this way there's no reason to think this won't happen.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
JR, is that your way of admitting that you jumped the gun with the "Let's here the excuses" thread?

Come on, he was doing fine during that stretch, just not looking for his own shot.  His assists were fine, and he collected 7 steals in one of those games ... SEVEN!

Admit you were wrong and we're all good.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
The problem with Rondo, first and foremost, at the beginning of this season was that we ran an offense which continually took the ball out of his hands. That four game stretch was bad, and I think his groin pull and elbow injury didn't help, but it was the basic nature of our offense which was the main culprit. Personally, I think that Garnett's suspension was a blessing in that it forced Doc to actually give the kid the ball, and he came through for us. To Doc's credit he actually kept on giving Rondo the ball, and the kid kept on performing.

The talk of "aggressiveness" is misguided, IMO. How could Rondo be "aggressive" when he didn't have real control over the offense. Game after game he was dribbling down and handing off to Paul and Ray. They ran the offense, and they did not do a good job of it. Most possessions Rondo never touched the ball after he brought it up. We played 4 on 5 basketball BY DESIGN. We actually were the 27th ranked offense in the league 11 games into the season, efficiency-wise. Five games later - five games where Rondo actuially ran the offense - we are 14th. Pretty steep climb to say the least.

I just did a quick calculation regarding Rondo's PER over the last five games. It was about 13.7 after 11 games, and it is up to 17.85. To play 11 games at a 13.7 average and get it up to 17.85 in 5 means that Rondo's PER over these last 5 was approximately 27.0.  That is a very, very high PER and a huge one for a point guard. The main reason that he has that is he actually has had the ball in his hands the last 5 games. It has made a big difference. Mind you that he has not dominated the ball, he simply hasn't be forced to give it up almost every time down, and has actually had it passed back to him when he does pass it off. It is alot easier to be "aggressive" when things like that are happening.

Do I think that Rondo will keep this up at this level? I doubt it, but I do think that he can stay fairly close to it. I also think that the PER's of Paul, Ray and Kevin will also go up as a result. The beautiful part about all of this is that Rondo is a true point guard. Getting him the ball means that he will get everyone else involved as well. It is what he does. His defense is also a huge factor for us, and that really isn't related by his PER. Steals count, but Rondo'd defense goes beyond just getting those.

Doc actually thought that his "offensive lineup" was the one with House at the point - a spot up shooter. It turned out that it was the one with Rondo - with Rondo actually running it. Hey, it's better late than never that Doc learned this.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
If he stays agressive and confident, sky is the limit for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5oMVz3VV3c

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
The last 5 games Rondo has scored 83 points. The 4 games b4 that he only scored 13 points lol. I've never seen a player transform like this. Rondo was soooo bad calling it a slump would be unfair. I thought he was on the verge of getting kicked out of the league. If Rondo can score 15+ a game the Celtics will hit the 100 point mark every night.

on his worst day, rondo is far better than jordan farmar at his best  ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Rondo went back and forth like this several times last year as well.  He is a third year player.  Inconsistency is the norm for players with so little experience.  I think everyone needs to step back and not react to every little change with a player like this.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rondo takes a lot of pounding in games,and he did hit the floor quite a bit in the first hand full of games.Im thinking he was having some injury issues without taking any games off.He kept it low key so the media wouldn't make a big deal out of it.At the same time,he wasn't producing quite up to the usual standard of play we have grown use to seeing from him due to being injuried.Last night his play brought back memories of game 6 .

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KG got 11 and 6 opening night. I thought he was on the verge of getting traded for Marbury.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

KG got 11 and 6 opening night. I thought he was on the verge of getting traded for Marbury.

lol....tp for that

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:34:56 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

first of all, you're over reacting. rondo was never on the verge of getting kicked out of the league. plus he's young so he's gunna be inconsistent. pierce said he may be an all-star this year- no chance. however, if he continues to play this well, maybe next year will be a possibility.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Can I please ask how this, along with a few of J R's other original posts for threads , isn't violating this rule of Celticsblog? Yes some of his posts are good debate stuff but so much is incendiary trolling. I think this post is a perfect violation of this rule:

No “trolling”.  Commenting in a thread in a manner that is likely to provoke an angry response from others is not permitted.   Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 12:52:35 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
JR, is that your way of admitting that you jumped the gun with the "Let's here the excuses" thread?
Jeez, he's the one who started that thread too?! I'll just say this: There were never any exuses necessary for Rondo, and there are no new expectations for Rondo. This is sure the classic case of someone overreacting after a few bad games and a few good ones. Rondo's not going to play every game the same way, but at his point we all knew who he is, and we all know what he can be, and that's a solid (top 10 at the very least) floor general for a basketball team. Hopefully he'll be wearing green for a long time to come.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!