Author Topic: GP still hatin on Rondo  (Read 8801 times)

GP still hatin on Rondo
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
Not sure if anyone else saw this on NBATV last night.  But apparently they love to egg on Payton with Rondo highlights.  He did rank him in the top 10 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_GRDiZn6So

Re: GP still hatin on Rondo
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you look in the fanshots section of the mainsite, I got another one.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2008/11/12/659951/gary-payton-showering-you#comments

Here we go

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Anyone know what the root of GP's problem is?  Is it as simple as Danny not wanting to sign GP last season?  If so, I don't see what that has to do with Rondo.  Also, GP's only year with the Celtics was before Rondo was even in the league.

It just seems really petty and immature.  Payton was a great player in his day.  Maybe he wasn't happy with how he ended his career, but I don't see why he needs to focus his bitterness on Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
i dont know what his issue wit rondo is,,,,but I gotta give to the other hosts.  They were pretty funny in their egging on on GP. Specifically C-Webb,,,,I've actually been suprised at how much i like him as an analyst.  He's pretty good  and funny.
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 GP has made statements in the past like "Rondo is not that good of a pg,he just lucked out and ended up playing with 3 HOF's...2.)the Big 3  is making him look better than what he is3.)Rondo is inconsistent,tentative,have seen better college players,etc.These are some of the statements GP has made when he was on "The Best [dang] Sports Show back in the spring/summer.When GP came on the set of NBA.tv,it appears  the word had spread throughout the  NBA announcers,analysts.Several other people have teased GP about Rondo. Lately C.Webb and A.Rashad is starting to tease him a lot so he is attempting to clean it up by giving Rondo some credit.

His true feelings are Rondo sucks(imo)...he said it to many times on several programs in the past not to take it serious.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:35:34 AM by housecall »

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I caught part of the show last night, but I've missed the segments on Rondo. It seems like they are trying to copy TNT in some ways, but it just isn't working for them. The Glove is absolutely intolerable to listen to regardless of his views on Rondo, and as a trio they talk over each other so much it is impossible to discern what any of them are saying. Individually, Ahmad Rashad is good and Webber is okay (Admittedly, I'm not too impressed C-Webb's analysis of teams or the reasoning behind his prognostications, but he is a tolerable on-air personality). Payton absolutely sucks and is dragging that team down. They should get rid of him ASAP. All he does is try to be funny and provocative, but he laughs too hard at his unfunny wit and banter, and instead of being provocative he comes off as bitter.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
When I played modified baseball a 7th grader took my job at first base. I could hit but I couldn't field for crap, I just had stone hands. Wasn't anything personal on the kid's part, coach made the choice, but I wanted to start with my friends. I got regulated to the bench, cause I was a bad player.

Didn't stop me from being bitter for years about it. I knew I could hit and I didn't think the fielding errors was that big a deal. Now I know that a first baseman that can't field a one hop throw in the sun is as good as not having a first baseman at all. I was in 8th grade, so eventually I grew up and stopped disliking the kid for no reason. What's GP's excuse?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
I caught part of the show last night, but I've missed the segments on Rondo. It seems like they are trying to copy TNT in some ways, but it just isn't working for them. The Glove is absolutely intolerable to listen to regardless of his views on Rondo, and as a trio they talk over each other so much it is impossible to discern what any of them are saying. Individually, Ahmad Rashad is good and Webber is okay (Admittedly, I'm not too impressed C-Webb's analysis of teams or the reasoning behind his prognostications, but he is a tolerable on-air personality). Payton absolutely sucks and is dragging that team down. They should get rid of him ASAP. All he does is try to be funny and provocative, but he laughs too hard at his unfunny wit and banter, and instead of being provocative he comes off as bitter.
You are right there GP sucks. A.Rashad is smart and will find a way to rid him before the season's up.I can see A.Rashad body language at times telling us he is not happy with the way GP delivers his lines or crazy predictions.Since his retirement he acts as if he's been appointed the judge,jury of present NBA players.He is very critical of the Celtics.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:36:25 AM by housecall »

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
I will say what D.Wade told him on the "Best [dang] Sports Show"when they were on together back in the summer.GP was getting cocky about how good of a player he once was "back in the day" in the NBA,almost saying he was better than D.Wade...D.Wade simply said,if it wasn't for myself and Shaq,you would have retired without a ring".After D.Wade said that,GP tried to laugh it off,but said "you are right D.Wade".

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
just to play devil's advocate here, is anything GP said really that wrong.  The Big 3 do make Rondo better than he is (as they would with anyone).  Rondo is lucky to play with the Big 3 (as would anyone be).  And more importantly, Rondo is inconsistent, tentative, lacks a complete offensive game, etc.  Sure GP's tone is uncalled for, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is wrong.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
GP is right about what he says.  Rondo isn't that great.

But I think people here are right about why he is bitter.  It was reported that GP wanted to play with the Celtics last year, but Ainge refused to do it.  Obviously part of the discussion was whether or not GP would have been comfortable coming off the bench for Rondo and whether or not he could help Rondo develop.  Maybe they didn't like how he had "mentored" Delonte when he was here and decided to pass on GP. 

Eventually Sam Cassell took that role.  A little while ago I posted a question in one of David Thorpe's chat about how completely unlikely it was for the Celtics to sign Marbury.  He responded that he couldn't see the Celtics bringing in Marbury, because of how signing Cassell last year kind of "shook up" Rondo.     I dunno if I should read into all of that too much, but maybe for whatever reason GP has bad blood towards Rondo, because he wasn't brought into be Rondo's mentor.

I've also heard GP trash Luke Ridnour... which is interesting, because I remember reading a few years back about GP possibly wanting to finish his career in Seattle, but he seemed to be a little iffy on whether or not he would be willing to back up Luke Ridnour.  I think Payton has a lot of pride (obviously) and maybe that's where this anti-Rondo/anti-Ridnour vibe comes from.

But... GP was incredible in his prime and he's my all time favorite non-Celtic player.  I can't hate on that guy.  I spent my teenage years watching him dominate.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
GP is right about what he says.  Rondo isn't that great.

thats not what he says, if you watch. he has said rondo is trash, and isn't an NBA basketball player. I have no porblem with questining Rondo' what GP does is Attack him like he's the worst starting PG in the league (which he has called him, several times.)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
That's actually the nicest they've been to rondo on that terrible show... saying he's a top 10 PG in the NBA is a compliment

I Hate Gary Payton, what a terrible teammate with a terrible attitude.

The other night C Webb was yelling "rondo" like soccer announcers yell "goallll" after a score as the rest of them sat there and laughed hysterically...Its pretty pathetic, and I cant stand even A Rashad now because of it.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That's actually the nicest they've been to rondo on that terrible show... saying he's a top 10 PG in the NBA is a compliment

True. If his detractors call him a top 10 pg then he's doing something right.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
just to play devil's advocate here, is anything GP said really that wrong.  The Big 3 do make Rondo better than he is (as they would with anyone).  Rondo is lucky to play with the Big 3 (as would anyone be).  And more importantly, Rondo is inconsistent, tentative, lacks a complete offensive game, etc.  Sure GP's tone is uncalled for, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is wrong.

I disagree with the notion that the big 3 make Rondo better. It might be true in the sense that Rondo learns a lot playing with the big 3 and it seemed like Ray took him under his wing last year. But in terms of on court performance, that's not true and the stats back it up.

Last season, when one or more of the big 3 was out, Rondo averaged something like 15 points, 5 assists and 6 rebounds. And it wasn't that small of a sample size, it was something like 15-16 games. This year, in the game that KG was out Rondo got 15 points, 7 assists, 8 rebounds and 2 steals. So statistically, Rondo has performed better when one or more of the big 3 are out.

Why would this be the case? Well, when the big 3 are playing, it forces Rondo to play off the ball a lot since the big 3 handle the ball a lot themselves. This forces Rondo to shoot a lot of jumpers which is his weaknesses even though he is wide open. When one or more of the big 3 are out, he gets to have the ball in his hands much more often and be able to penetrate and create shots for himself or others, his main strength. So the idea that the big 3 make Rondo look better is a big myth IMO. That would be true if Rondo's game was like House's where he is a great shooter but can't create a shot for himself so the big 3 have to do it for him, but it's the opposite with Rondo.