Author Topic: Horry's beef with Ainge?  (Read 3498 times)

Horry's beef with Ainge?
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Does anyone know what that's all about?  I can't tell if he's joking or not, but Horry suggests it could prevent him from signing with the Celtics this year, if he plays at all.

Here's the reference, it's #7:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081122-23

Re: Horry's beef with Ainge?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
horry threw a towel and swore at danny when danny was coaching.   thats what he was likely referring to

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i read that whole Q&A... wow... he's pretty high on himself, eh?  For a average player (in his prime) he sure seems to think he's relevant.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i read that whole Q&A... wow... he's pretty high on himself, eh?  For a average player (in his prime) he sure seems to think he's relevant.

i agree...however, he is one of the best clutch players in his time and is a multiple champion with a significant role on each team. 

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
what dark lord said. Also, it makes a lot of sense that the two weren't exactly friends before and after that. i couldn't find the you tube clip.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
what dark lord said. Also, it makes a lot of sense that the two weren't exactly friends before and after that. i couldn't find the you tube clip.

That they were/are not friends is not a big deal. The real issue is do they respect each other's Basketball accomplishments? Both are just plain idiots if they do not IMO. They would both quite possibly gain by a 'gentlemanly' short term business relationship later this season. Horry has a lot of smarts and mistake free basketball to offer for a couple of minutes per game, not to mention the ability to hit the 'big shot'. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
horry threw a towel and swore at danny when danny was coaching.   thats what he was likely referring to

... which ended up with Horry traded to the Lakers four days later.

As for the motivation, I found this quote:

Robert Horry saw no similarity between Sprewell's [choking of P.J. Carlesimo] and his towel-fling at Danny Ainge, saying, "Mine came from me just not liking somebody. I don't know what his deal was."

and this one:

Asked if he felt like punching Horry, Ainge said, "No, I had the desire to bench him, to play guys who had better attitudes."

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

• Oshae Brissett
Thanks, guys, that does shed some light on things, it seems.

I hold out hope that Horry was joking.  It always sucks when two people you like can't get along.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Horry's a punk. Never liked him and his take-out of Nash a while back highlights what a punk he is.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i really, really would hate if this happened. even if horry hit a game winning title shot i swear i'd love it for us and still not like the guy. is there any chance that horry is'nt one of the most clutch guys in the world and just hit the open shot like he was supposed to?  i know he's ceratinly hit more than one big one but my god when people start mentioning this guy in the hall of fame i want to throw up. are you kidding me????
   i'm the biggest ainge fan in the world. i was at the game and wanted to rush the court when he threw the towel at ainge. i was saying right after the game that horry's gone from that team. danny boy was always a team guy. think what it takes to actually throw a towel in your coach's face ( in front of so many people at that). i would think you would have to insult somebody's mom for that. what was the beef over again? i don't remember.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i also think the nba needs to put a stop to letting teams pick up guys for half a season. i'm sure glad we got p.j. and ofcourse i'd be happy if we picked up another helper(other than robert horry) but i just think there's something very baseball-y about it. it should be the team that got you there. guys should'nt be allowed to chase titles like this, really.  anyone else feel this way?

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »

• Oshae Brissett
I agree that it seems less... pure somehow, picking up vets at the deadline, but that is the way the game is played these days.  I was thrilled when we got Sam last year (I was at Florida State with him), and even though he didn't fit in the way I hoped he would (bad shots, too many shots, etc), I always feel that the locker room leadership of winners like that is a key intangible.  If Horry was on board, he'd certainly help the team in small ways.

Having said that, I don't know that Horry is the perfect fit for this team, especially if all he's got left in the tank these days is the three.  PJ Brown is better for the Cs.

But I do disagree about Horry's clutchness.  Much like Cassell, he had his biggest games throughout his career when his team most needed him to step up.  That's clutch, and it's more than his game-winning threes.  How about that cruise-the-lane dunk he had on Phoenix 2 years ago?

But I also think Horry has a bad temper, which would explain the Ainge towel incident and the hip-check foul on Nash.  Might be a side effect of all that pressure, who knows.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline thecaptain34

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Yeah, I dont see Horry fitting in with this team to be honest with you..and he finished last years playoffs on the bench for a reason, obviously

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He's done and wouldn't help this team.