Author Topic: Some Love for Scal  (Read 7085 times)

Some Love for Scal
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I'd like all of you on here who have been so tough on Scal to man up and admit the guy is playing some pretty good basketball out there. He is shooting 55% from 3 this season. 53% from the floor overall. He's not turning the ball over or committing stupid fouls. He is playing very solid defense and doing a good job keeping the ball moving on offense. Nice job Scal. Hopefully I am not the only one who is noticing and appreciates your value out there.

Re: Some Love for Scal
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Definitely gotta show some love for Scal.  Ever since the game he started in place of KG he has looked like a different player.  He is shooting with confidence, setting some mean picks, and keeping the ball moving on offense all while keeping up his solid D.

I even saw him hit a hook shot the other night.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:10:39 PM by shookones99 »
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
And his 3-point fg% would be even better if you didn't count garbage time.

Bottom line is you always know what you're going to get from Scal. The fans tend to get really down on him when he's missing shots, and probably way too happy when he's hitting them. The 1 or 2 threes he takes when he's in there are nice to have, but they're just a bonus. What's important about Scal is his presence on the floor and his defense. He's not going to be amazing at any one thing - his value to Doc comes from Doc knowing that he can rely on Scal if needed. I'm not a huge Scal fan, but I'm not a hater either, and I think that most of the people on this blog are in my boat, because they know who Scal is.

I've despised the fans at the Garden who mock cheer Scal in garbage time. It's rude, offensive, and it affects Scal's play in a negative way. Hopefully his recent play will shut most of the idiot fans up, or at least turn their mock cheers into somewhat genuine cheers.

When Scal is shooting the lights out like he is now, it's easy to love him, but we have to remember to post a thread like this when he's not shooting so well, because it's never been about offense with Scal.

EDIT: Perhaps the one thing I haven't accounted for is how Scal's shooting affects the rest of his play. I can't be inside of Scal's head, so this may or may not be true, but Scal may be more focused, and perhaps more likely to stay within himself, when he's shooting well. He may feel as if the pressure is taken off of him once he scores. I'd like to think that Scal knows that his shooting isn't that important, and when he's sitting on the bench he may think like that, but it's always different on the court, even for someone with such a "high basketball IQ."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:23:02 PM by Toine43 »

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
TP for both of you for stepping up and showing him some love. The guy is an asset to our squad and fortunately  Doc is starting to give him some minutes. I am not saying it isn't for a lot of reasons, but it can't be total coincidence that since Scal has been seeing the floor the 2nd unit has been playing out of their heads. He makes guys more efficient.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
i think the bench needed a leader.. and well, scal is starting to fill that role

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I agree with the OP that Scal is the one player who deserves more credit than fans have given him lately.I started a thread on the 18th called "Scal plays great D aganist the Bucks",which more or less was meant with the same intentions you have here.Again i will say,Scal was a big help then and last season when KG went down with his injuries.Scal played well in his absence .He is a vet on this team who can always come in without hesitation and contribute something positive whether it be a 3 pt.shot(s)or some good D...Go Scal! :)

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think Scal plays a lot better when he's part of the rotation and not the token "goofy 12th man".  Imagine being Scal and hearing everyone go nuts when you come into the game, shouting for you to shoot every time you touch the ball, and knowing it's not cause you're a great player, it's because you're seen more as a mascot than a player.  It'd make anyone self-conscious as hell, and I think that's what happens to Scal when he only plays garbage time.  As part of the rotation he's much more comfortable, and he's been an asset to us.  Much love to Scal, and I hope he keeps it up.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'd like all of you on here who have been so tough on Scal to man up and admit the guy is playing some pretty good basketball out there. He is shooting 55% from 3 this season. 53% from the floor overall. He's not turning the ball over or committing stupid fouls. He is playing very solid defense and doing a good job keeping the ball moving on offense. Nice job Scal. Hopefully I am not the only one who is noticing and appreciates your value out there.

no shame in my game....i will happily eat crow because he is helping our team.  i still think he is garbage, but i always root for that portly, goofy, redhead :D

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
By the way after his 8 games stats were posted Scal's 3pt shooting went up to 60% and 55.6% from the floor. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:35:14 PM by housecall »

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Do some people still think we should cut Scal and kept Miles? ;D

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
he's hit 6 of his last 8 3's... thats pretty [dang] good. i'm okay with having scal around now... thank god he didn't continue his play from the preseason.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
And his 3-point fg% would be even better if you didn't count garbage time.

Bottom line is you always know what you're going to get from Scal. The fans tend to get really down on him when he's missing shots, and probably way too happy when he's hitting them. The 1 or 2 threes he takes when he's in there are nice to have, but they're just a bonus. What's important about Scal is his presence on the floor and his defense. He's not going to be amazing at any one thing - his value to Doc comes from Doc knowing that he can rely on Scal if needed. I'm not a huge Scal fan, but I'm not a hater either, and I think that most of the people on this blog are in my boat, because they know who Scal is.

I've despised the fans at the Garden who mock cheer Scal in garbage time. It's rude, offensive, and it affects Scal's play in a negative way. Hopefully his recent play will shut most of the idiot fans up, or at least turn their mock cheers into somewhat genuine cheers.

When Scal is shooting the lights out like he is now, it's easy to love him, but we have to remember to post a thread like this when he's not shooting so well, because it's never been about offense with Scal.

EDIT: Perhaps the one thing I haven't accounted for is how Scal's shooting affects the rest of his play. I can't be inside of Scal's head, so this may or may not be true, but Scal may be more focused, and perhaps more likely to stay within himself, when he's shooting well. He may feel as if the pressure is taken off of him once he scores. I'd like to think that Scal knows that his shooting isn't that important, and when he's sitting on the bench he may think like that, but it's always different on the court, even for someone with such a "high basketball IQ."

Great post TP!
Scal is a true professional and should be applauded for being one.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
Do some people still think we should cut Scal and kept Miles? ;D
Good call.. I'll take my crow upside-down from Alaska!
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
It's nice to see Scal turning in
to a game player and not just being
a practice player. That three vs the
Raptors was actually one of the best
plays of the game.

Way to go, Scal!

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

no shame in my game....i will happily eat crow because he is helping our team.  i still think he is garbage, but i always root for that portly, goofy, redhead :D

That's not what I would call a compliment Oh Dark One. He is helping our team, but is garbage?! I think if you look at his stats and what he is contributing right now it would be hard to back up that statement. That was the whole point. People on here rip him for no legitimate reason. The guy does what is asked of him. The only difference in his play right now vs. before is the threes are dropping. When House was missing early in the year did that make him GARBAGE? When Ray was missing during the playoffs last year was HE garbage?! Come on. He adds value whether he is hitting them or not, just much more so when the shots are falling.