Author Topic: NBA to Pay More Attention to Garnett's Antics  (Read 7131 times)

NBA to Pay More Attention to Garnett's Antics
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
I saw this on hoopshype.

Look on the side column, the third bullet under Slam Dunks. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/22/2008-11-22_it_seems_warriors_gm_chris_mullin_could_.html

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

Re: NBA to Pay More Attention to Garnett's Antics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm not sure what antics mean. Is it trash talking, elbows, knees to the groin? The writer of that article could be a little more specific. I don't remember anything out of the ordinary with Jose Calderon and Luke Ridnour.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:46 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Sounds to me like teams are just hating on KG. They don't like who he is and the intensity he plays with. If their teams had half the fire KG does they might get somewhere.

Its a shame all these grown men are hatin' on KG DA CHAMP!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I remember the day the TWolves blog dudes came here and told us we really didn't get how awesome KG really is, yet another reason why he's the gift that keeps on giving. Finger wagging at Calderon, nothing could make me happier, what a stud.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
let them hate him. i'd love to have a player on my team for people to hate, even if its only half as much as i hate kobe.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
KG has been way more demonstrative this year, or I guess, demonstrative in different ways - along with his usual jumping around, jersey popping, headbutting the basket support, etc, he's doing a lot more stuff in the flow of the game directly at other players, like his finger-wagging on Calderon.  I remember last year when he did his Sex Panther all-fours defensive stance on David West, and it was the first time I'd seen him do something like that in mid play all season.  Now he seems like that kind of stuff's happening every other game.  He's gonna get a taunting T sooner or later (he should've gotten one on Calderon) but if it helps him stay focused I've got no problem with it, and it's definitely fun to watch. 

My bigger problem is it seems to be rubbing off on Perk, and Perk's not nearly as good at using woofing to keep himself focused.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Im not trying to make excuses for bad behavior but a  source told me KG started his taunting on Calderon after he heard Calderon woofing at Rondo.Supposedly he heard Calderon telling Rondo he's going to burn him good that night shooting wise or somethng close to it.Im not sure how true this info is,just telling you what a source that was at the game sitting close to the floor said. 

If it is at all true i can understand sticking up for your smaller team mate but he carried it to far.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Im not trying to make excuses for bad behavior but a  source told me KG started his taunting on Calderon after he heard Calderon woofing at Rondo.Supposedly he heard Calderon telling Rondo he's going to burn him good that night shooting wise or somethng close to it.Im not sure how true this info is,just telling you what a source that was at the game sitting close to the floor said. 

If it is at all true i can understand sticking up for your smaller team mate but he carried it to far.

i dont think he did, he got in calderon's head, and the celtics defense tookover. that happened at an important part of the game and could be considered a major part of our win.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
This is another case of the league not being up front about how it deals with its players. If the NBA has an issue with what KG is doing, then they should communicate that directly to Garnett. Simply telling the refs to watch out for him, like they normally do in a situation like this, is a mistake.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I remember the day the TWolves blog dudes came here and told us we really didn't get how awesome KG really is, yet another reason why he's the gift that keeps on giving. Finger wagging at Calderon, nothing could make me happier, what a stud.

Funny thing about Garnett's 'antics' are that if another guy pulled that against the Celtics, we'd all be up in arms.

Like lets say Stephen Jackson did that same exact thing (that Garnett did to Calderon) to Rondo. We'd be calling for a tech in the least, probably an ejection. We'd all be screaming mad about how Jackson is a classless thug and blah blah blah about how that belongs on the playground.

But since KG did it we all love him for it (myself included).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
whats "pay more attention" suppose to mean? does that just mean more technicals? more attention is too vague for me to really care.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Funny thing about Garnett's 'antics' are that if another guy pulled that against the Celtics, we'd all be up in arms.

Like lets say Stephen Jackson did that same exact thing (that Garnett did to Calderon) to Rondo. We'd be calling for a tech in the least, probably an ejection. We'd all be screaming mad about how Jackson is a classless thug and blah blah blah about how that belongs on the playground.

Totally agree.  Isn't that why we disliked Horford so much during the playoffs?  KG rubbed me the wrong way when he was on the Wolves.  I remember one game where he was running his mouth and both he and the Mailman got ejected.  I love KG's intensity, but to be honest there are times I wish he would tone down the talking.  And I find all the after-the-whistle blocked shots slightly annoying.  I'd rather have him use the energy to chase down an extra rebound.
But if he REQUIRES it to play to his potential, then he should do what he has to do.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I grew up playing basketball and just like my brothers always did talking smack to me and everything i got upset. I would run to my dad and tell them to stop just like the rest of the NBA is doing to stern right now about KG and when i told my dad there were talking smack he would say well its all part of the game basketball is the only sport were you can be face to face with someone and get personal and thats how i learned and now trash talking is a part of my game cause it p---es the other person off! So the NBA needs to stop crying and man up!

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Totally agree.  Isn't that why we disliked Horford so much during the playoffs?  KG rubbed me the wrong way when he was on the Wolves.  I remember one game where he was running his mouth and both he and the Mailman got ejected.  I love KG's intensity, but to be honest there are times I wish he would tone down the talking.  And I find all the after-the-whistle blocked shots slightly annoying.  I'd rather have him use the energy to chase down an extra rebound.
But if he REQUIRES it to play to his potential, then he should do what he has to do.

All KG does is what he needs to do to help the team win. His energy helps the team for the most part.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 10:38:39 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The thing that they will be 'paying more attention to' is the same thing that gets Rasheed Wallace so many technicals. I love KG just like all of you, but he doesnt know wheh to shut his mouth during the heat of battle some times. I have personally heard people complain about the amount and volume of cursing going on at NBA games as well. All it takes is a couple of league officials, a couple of players, and a couple of refs to take some of that loud cursing personally and that is the beginning of the problem.

I hope KG has the sense to tone it down and walk away when it really matters. Sheed has cost the Pistons a few big games in the past with his 'so called intensity'. The best thing for us will be if Ray and Paul pull him away from situations before the get out of hand. We also are seeing the beginning of the same type of problem from Perk. He is getting a reputation for his mouth with the officials.

It will only get worse if we are not careful. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku