Author Topic: Remembering random bad draft picks: Fab Melo  (Read 4603 times)

Re: Remembering random bad draft picks: Fab Melo
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Nice thread, but the choice does not seem random at all lol

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I know sometimes we tend to be armchair GM's and criticize draft picks even if we have no idea what we are talking about (ahem: EVERY celtics fan when we took Rozier) but sometimes Danny Ainge makes a pick soo bad that it reminds us that sometimes even Danny will make a terrible terrible pick,

I'm pretty sure every single person knew that this pick would not turn out well, and it seems like Ainge acknowledged how bad of a pick it was after giving up on him after 1 season. Yeah he was tall and he looked like he had some defensive potential..I remember that draft..I was so happy that we got Jared Sullinger late, and then was pumped because I thought the Celtics would take Perry Jones..then they announced the pick and I was like ****!!

Just thought I would remind us of a bad memory of the Celtics, and how sometimes Danny is really really wrong on some things.

Well Perry Jones didnt end up becoming a good player or anything either

It was like the 22nd pick.. it was a risky move and didnt pay off for Ainge. Not a huge deal

The dummy move made by at least 20 was bypassing on Draymond Green , Crowder and Middleton

Yeah you know, others GM did not do their job adequately so ours shouldn't either /s

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
No it means that 21 persons much more qualified than us and with more info in their hands decided that they had better options

but maybe they don't have a clue.....

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
I know sometimes we tend to be armchair GM's and criticize draft picks even if we have no idea what we are talking about (ahem: EVERY celtics fan when we took Rozier) but sometimes Danny Ainge makes a pick soo bad that it reminds us that sometimes even Danny will make a terrible terrible pick,

I'm pretty sure every single person knew that this pick would not turn out well, and it seems like Ainge acknowledged how bad of a pick it was after giving up on him after 1 season. Yeah he was tall and he looked like he had some defensive potential..I remember that draft..I was so happy that we got Jared Sullinger late, and then was pumped because I thought the Celtics would take Perry Jones..then they announced the pick and I was like ****!!

Just thought I would remind us of a bad memory of the Celtics, and how sometimes Danny is really really wrong on some things.

Yeah. Congratulations to Rozier for making the all-star team.

Uh, wait ...

Yes, the criteria for whether the 16th overall pick is good or bad is if they make an all star game by their sophomore season
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
No it means that 21 persons much more qualified than us and with more info in their hands decided that they had better options

That's the point. I sure as hell hope, that Danny with the best resources available to mankind can GET A FRIGGEN' CLUE and can draft a superstar for once with a #1-#4 pick. It will me indefensible if he whiffs now.

Look at our past glory days. Every championship roster had a Hall of Fame level player that was drafted by the C's (applies to the league in general). Unless you're LeBron James and can make super teams on a whim, this is an important step in all rebuilds.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

That's the point. I sure as hell hope, that Danny with the best resources available to mankind can GET A FRIGGEN' CLUE and can draft a superstar for once with a #1-#4 pick. It will me indefensible if he whiffs now.

Look at our past glory days. Every championship roster had a Hall of Fame level player that was drafted by the C's (applies to the league in general). Unless you're LeBron James and can make super teams on a whim, this is an important step in all rebuilds.
there is no garuntee that a superstar exists in this draft, or that he will be available when the Celtics are on the clock.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I also wanted Sully and PJIII.

Fab Melo was the one guy I specifically didnt want.

The next year, Kelly Olynyk was the one guy I didnt want. I wanted Muhammed Dieng or Schroeder.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

There will be a never-ending list of excuses from the Danny Ainge Bromance Club on this board if he doesn't - and experience suggests clearly that he won't.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

there is no garuntee that a superstar exists in this draft, or that he will be available when the Celtics are on the clock.

Dude, if the 2013 draft had Giannis hiding in Greece, this draft should have a couple more stars in it than in THAT draft at least. There's reports that GM's around the league believe that there's more than a couple potential all stars in this draft.  Unless Cousins signs that 5 year extension right now and becomes available for both the Nets picks, I don't think Ainge is dealing the pick... he won't win that trade.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

There will be a never-ending list of excuses from the Danny Ainge Bromance Club on this board if he doesn't - and experience suggests clearly that he won't.
coach Bo bot activated
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Does it feel weird to hate on our GM for a guy he picked 20th 4-5 years ago when we are second in the east with almost a guaranteed top 4 pick on the way?

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

No way man. I stand by Danny out of my own fandom but if he drafts a guy in 2017 that he is going to let walk in his 4th year, he should follow right behind that guy since that would mean all the asset hoarding amounted to nothing.

So far, Jaylen is looking promising, Jeff Green is Jeff Green, KO and Smart are role players. He's 1 for 4 in the lottery.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

No way man. I stand by Danny out of my own fandom but if he drafts a guy in 2017 that he is going to let walk in his 4th year, he should follow right behind that guy since that would mean all the asset hoarding amounted to nothing.

So far, Jaylen is looking promising, Jeff Green is Jeff Green, KO and Smart are role players. He's 1 for 4 in the lottery.

KO is a very late lottery pick and is doing about average for his draft position. You only call that a miss if you are intentionally being negatively biased or don't realize the expected value of the number 14 pick.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Does it feel weird to hate on our GM for a guy he picked 20th 4-5 years ago when we are second in the east with almost a guaranteed top 4 pick on the way?
TP

So strange
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yes another re-hashed thread about Ainge's drafting skills..

Here we go again..  :o
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different