Author Topic: Can the Need for a Go-To Scorer Be Addressed By a Bench Player?  (Read 9037 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Let's assume that the Celtics can acquire both Kevin Love and Omer Asik, leading to a starting lineup of Asik/Love/Green/Bradley/Rondo.

There are those who would say that Love isn't a go-to scorer because he's not some iso-ball shot "creator" and that the Celtics need to fill that role.  Can they fill that role with a bench player?  Is there someone who can fill a role similar to Jamal Crawford or JR Smith?  Would that player be available for the MLE? Ideally, it would be someone who can play both SG and SF, but maybe a combo guard would also make sense.

I'm not enthusiastic about acquiring a guy like Dion Waiters or Nick Young as a replacement for Avery Bradley in the starting lineup, but I would consider one of those guys if I thought they could accept coming off the bench behind Bradley, get some time backing up another position, and scoring double digits per game as a reserve.

One guy I'd consider is CJ Miles.  I like him better than Waiters.  Maybe Cleveland likes him better, too.  He can be a credible defender at both wing positions.  He can score, averaging 18.9 points per 36 minutes in his last two seasons in Cleveland, while hitting 38.8% of his threes.  He's only making $2.2 million this season and should be in for a raise, but maybe he would prefer a starting job.

Could Rodney Stuckey be that guy?  I don't like his poor three-point shooting, but maybe someone would like him as a combo guard off the bench who can create his own shot.

If the Celtics somehow keep their 17th pick despite acquiring Love and Asik, is there a rookie who can fill that role?  Maybe it is someone who you have coming off the bench but might be able to push Jeff Green into a multi-positional sixth man role off the bench by his second season.

If the Celtics need a go-to scorer and Kevin Love wouldn't fill that role, does it have to be a star wing player?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Can the Need for a Go-To Scorer Be Addressed By a Bench Player?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Let's assume that the Celtics can acquire both Kevin Love and Omer Asik, leading to a starting lineup of Asik/Love/Green/Bradley/Rondo.

There are those who would say that Love isn't a go-to scorer because he's not some iso-ball shot "creator" and that the Celtics need to fill that role.  Can they fill that role with a bench player?  Is there someone who can fill a role similar to Jamal Crawford or JR Smith?  Would that player be available for the MLE? Ideally, it would be someone who can play both SG and SF, but maybe a combo guard would also make sense.

I'm not enthusiastic about acquiring a guy like Dion Waiters or Nick Young as a replacement for Avery Bradley in the starting lineup, but I would consider one of those guys if I thought they could accept coming off the bench behind Bradley, get some time backing up another position, and scoring double digits per game as a reserve.

One guy I'd consider is CJ Miles.  I like him better than Waiters.  Maybe Cleveland likes him better, too.  He can be a credible defender at both wing positions.  He can score, averaging 18.9 points per 36 minutes in his last two seasons in Cleveland, while hitting 38.8% of his threes.  He's only making $2.2 million this season and should be in for a raise, but maybe he would prefer a starting job.

Could Rodney Stuckey be that guy?  I don't like his poor three-point shooting, but maybe someone would like him as a combo guard off the bench who can create his own shot.

If the Celtics somehow keep their 17th pick despite acquiring Love and Asik, is there a rookie who can fill that role?  Maybe it is someone who you have coming off the bench but might be able to push Jeff Green into a multi-positional sixth man role off the bench by his second season.

If the Celtics need a go-to scorer and Kevin Love wouldn't fill that role, does it have to be a star wing player?

CJ Miles is a nine year veteran who has averaged 10 points per game in only two seasons topping out at 12.8.  He is not as good as Waiters.  If we keep the #17 pick, I would try to trade the Philly pick and move up to get Stauskas to provide more shooting.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Nope. Not by a bench player. That wouldn't be enough. It would leave the starting lineup overly dependent on Rondo + K-Love. Unhealthy.

It needs to be a starter. It wouldn't need to be a hugely prolific scorer but it does need to be at least an 18-20ppg threat. Someone who can get a quality shot attempt consistently against any type of defense. I think a Rip Hamilton level scorer would be enough. Although, of course, even better scorer would be preferable.

Probably need a strong bench scorer -- like suggested in this thread -- behind that Rip Hamilton level scorer though. Need a strong bench and excellent balance (offensively, defensively and in terms of rebounding) if a bit lacking in top level talent.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I think Rodney Stuckey could be one heck of a bench scorer. I don't think he'd be the right fit alongside Rondo because his lack of jump-shooting. Probably need someone closer to a (younger versions) of Ben Gordon or Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford.

OJ Mayo might be the best current option of players of that ilk. I like Marcus Thornton too. Can score in a lot of different ways. Hasn't found his place in the league but he could be a good player in the right situation. Both are players with problematic contracts so Ainge would have to be patient until those deals ended. Could be a good option then.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is the idea that Love isn't a "go-to" scorer accurate?  Look... I don't watch a ton of Timberwolves games.  Fair to say nobody here does either... but of the stuff I've seen, the guy seems more than capable of being a go-to scorer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnSiBWvRmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Xbo95U700

He was the 4th best scorer in basketball last year... he's a fairly efficient scorer as well:  46%/38%/82% ...

Do you assume he just sits around getting open jumpers or something??

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What about Jerryd Bayless as a poor man's Jamal Crawford?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Kevin Love is a much, much better offensive player than any of the guys who have been listed here as potential sixth men. Now, having some extra scoring punch off the bench would be a great thing, but you don't get CJ Miles to be your closer when you have Kevin Love on the roster (or in literally any other situation for an NBA team, really).

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717

ugh! Maybe a homeless man's Jamal Crawford

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717

I think Rodney Stuckey could be one heck of a bench scorer. I don't think he'd be the right fit alongside Rondo because his lack of jump-shooting. Probably need someone closer to a (younger versions) of Ben Gordon or Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford.

OJ Mayo might be the best current option of players of that ilk. I like Marcus Thornton too. Can score in a lot of different ways. Hasn't found his place in the league but he could be a good player in the right situation. Both are players with problematic contracts so Ainge would have to be patient until those deals ended. Could be a good option then.

I really like the idea of Stuckey, and I think he can be obtained for a good price right now.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

CJ Miles is a nine year veteran who has averaged 10 points per game in only two seasons topping out at 12.8.  He is not as good as Waiters.  If we keep the #17 pick, I would try to trade the Philly pick and move up to get Stauskas to provide more shooting.

I wouldn't consider CJ Miles a go-to scorer or shot creator.

CJ Miles is a steady two way role player. He can really shoot the ball. He has good size. Good athleticism. Has become a solid enough defensive player. Limited as a ball-handler and passer -- which is why he isn't a shot creator and why he is a bench player (lack of secondary ball-handling and passing) on most teams instead of becoming starting role playing SG on a quality team.

CJ Miles' best asset is his spot up shooting. You can see about half of his shot attempts (211 threes out of 409 FGAs) come from those situations (93% assisted on). Not a guy who creates his own looks. Two point FGAs high assisted on too. Miles needs players to draw defenders in order to free him up. Can punish teams from there.

CJ Miles could be a starter (SG) next to a ball-handling SF like LeBron or Iggy. Other than that, he'll usually be confined to bench role due to limited ball-handling + passing. Good bench player. One of the better backup SGs in the league. I'd be really happy to have him on the Celtics someday.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

ugh! Maybe a homeless man's Jama; Crawford

Homeless man's Monta Ellis more like.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Tobias Harris could be a good option.

Somewhat similar (in a bench role) as to what Corliss Williamson gave those 2002-2004 Pistons teams. Too big and strong for SFs to handle. Too quick and dangerous as a quick face up PF. Can create mismatches at either forward spot.

Still developing but has the potential to become a top bench scorer in the near future.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Carl Landry would be another option. A PF/C.

I'd rather keep K-Love at PF full time and keep a shot blocker on the floor alongside him. But as a second choice move, sliding K-Love over to C and putting in a strong offensive bench big alongside would really open up the offense.

Carl Landry has combined well with David Lee and Luis Scola in the past (good similarity to K-Love / C.Landry combination). Houston used to run their 2nd unit's offense through C.Landry a few years ago with good success. Strong low post scorer. Good midrange jump-shot. Can put the ball on the floor and go around slower bigs. Versatile scorer. Probably the best backup big scorer in the league. 

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jeff Green?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is the idea that Love isn't a "go-to" scorer accurate?

I don't really think it is, but some people do, so I thought it was worth thinking about this a bit differently.

I think Kelly Olynyk could develop into a guy who could score 12-14ppg off the bench or 20ppg in a starting role.  If he could become an adequate defender as a center (and I could see him being the kind of guy who is sort of mediocre but mans up to get the clutch defensive stop or rebound), I'd like the idea of having Asik and Bradley as starters and Olynyk and a scoring wing as their backups, so that the Celtics can choose between going offensive-oriented or defensive-oriented at one or both positions in crunch time, depending on matchups.  That's assuming they don't have to give him up to get Love.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference