Author Topic: Can the Need for a Go-To Scorer Be Addressed By a Bench Player?  (Read 9026 times)

Re: Can the Need for a Go-To Scorer Be Addressed By a Bench Player?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Jeff Green?

I like Jeff Green as the 4th option behind K-Love, Player X and Rondo.

I think Jeff Green could work as a 3rd option on a team where the two guys in front of him are prolific scorers. However, with Rondo as one the two main guys and content to only score 12-15ppg, I think Boston needs a stronger option than Jeff Green as the next best shot-creator on team.

So I'd view J.Green as the 4th option on future Celtics team. A better 4th option than vast majority of teams which will be necessary (to provide balance) if Boston's 2nd/3rd options after K-Love aren't big time scorers.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
what about sign and trading Bradley and whatever we would need to match salaries for Eric Gordon?

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is the idea that Love isn't a "go-to" scorer accurate?

I don't really think it is, but some people do, so I thought it was worth thinking about this a bit differently.

I think Kelly Olynyk could develop into a guy who could score 12-14ppg off the bench or 20ppg in a starting role.  If he could become an adequate defender as a center (and I could see him being the kind of guy who is sort of mediocre but mans up to get the clutch defensive stop or rebound), I'd like the idea of having Asik and Bradley as starters and Olynyk and a scoring wing as their backups, so that the Celtics can choose between going offensive-oriented or defensive-oriented at one or both positions in crunch time, depending on matchups.  That's assuming they don't have to give him up to get Love.
Yeah I mean... we probably aren't getting a better "go-to" scorer than the 4th best scorer in the league.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
what about sign and trading Bradley and whatever we would need to match salaries for Eric Gordon?

If E.Gordon was healthy and back playing at a level similar to his final LAC / early NOH days, I think that would be a great option. I'd have to wait and see E.Gordon get back to playing at a high level again before I risked taking on his contract. Because if he doesn't get back there, that contract is too difficult to work around.

PG: Rondo
SG: E.Gordon
SF: J.Green
PF: K-Love
 C: Asik

Need a strong defensive player on the wing off the bench.
The bench scorer could come in at PG/SG or PF/C.
Fill out rest of bench accordingly.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jeff Green?

I like Jeff Green as the 4th option behind K-Love, Player X and Rondo.

I think Jeff Green could work as a 3rd option on a team where the two guys in front of him are prolific scorers. However, with Rondo as one the two main guys and content to only score 12-15ppg, I think Boston needs a stronger option than Jeff Green as the next best shot-creator on team.

So I'd view J.Green as the 4th option on future Celtics team. A better 4th option than vast majority of teams which will be necessary (to provide balance) if Boston's 2nd/3rd options after K-Love aren't big time scorers.

I don't know.  I think if we re-sign Avery that he and Green could be a good 3A and 3B, as it were.  Avery is turning into a very capable catch and shoot player.  Jeff can catch and shoot a little as well, plus he can put the ball on the floor and create his own offense some. 

If we could manage to land Love and Asik, as everyone is hoping for, I think that Rondo, Bradley, Green, Love, and Asik would make a very formidable lineup. 

Between Love, Bradley, and Green, they scored just over 59 points a game between them last season.  With a distributor like Rondo, I'd be very happy with that starting lineup's offensive potential.  That team looks fairly good on paper defensively, as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The answer is yes, but only temporarily. To be a top team they'd still need at least one other go-to scorer. The best thing would be if Green + somebody making 5 million's contract space went to another star. They could always find someone to approximate Green with the mid-level exception after the stars are in place, or at least that would be an easier task to accomplish.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
If we trade for Asik and Lin to help Houston unload salary, Lin could be that spark off the bench.  He can score.  He shot 36% from three in the regular season last year!!

Also, I would take a chance on a cheap option with scoring potential, especially from long range, like Jimmer Fredette, who shot 49.3% with the Kings last year and a little less with a Bulls' team that really NEVER gave him a change after trading for him (he only played in 8 games for them).

Thoughts?

Smitty77

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we trade for Asik and Lin to help Houston unload salary, Lin could be that spark off the bench.  He can score.  He shot 36% from three in the regular season last year!!

Also, I would take a chance on a cheap option with scoring potential, especially from long range, like Jimmer Fredette, who shot 49.3% with the Kings last year and a little less with a Bulls' team that really NEVER gave him a change after trading for him (he only played in 8 games for them).

Thoughts?

Smitty77

I would take a chance on Fredette. He was drafted too high with unrealistic expectations.  In the right circumstances, he could be Eddie House 2.0

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't see us getting asik without green being involved which then it would be rondo love asik Bradley

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Taking a look a the Clippers tell me a no, this is not possible.

The Clippers have a bonafide bench player in Jamaal Crawford almost as their 'go-to' scorer.  Despite having two other elite players (Paul and Griffin) and an elite defender (Jordan) they still couldn't make it to the conference finals.

Havign a go-to scorer off the bench might be good enough to take a team to the second or third round, but I don't think it's enough to make a team a legit contender.  You need a shot creator who can give you 20-25 points per game as a starter (Lebron in Miami, Durant in OKC, George in Indiana) or else you need three guys that can give you 17-19 points per game (e.g. Spurs).

Having a 16-18 PPG guy as your #1 scorer off the bench IMO just won't cut it.  Unless you are an absolute elite (i.e. top 5) defense...then maybe.  Even then it's hard in todays 'star filled' NBA.

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
CJ Miles?  Can I have some of what your smoking?

I think we are so bad a team that a guy who score will quickly be thrust into the rotation full time.

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let's assume that the Celtics can acquire both Kevin Love and Omer Asik, leading to a starting lineup of Asik/Love/Green/Bradley/Rondo.

There are those who would say that Love isn't a go-to scorer because he's not some iso-ball shot "creator" and that the Celtics need to fill that role.

The Celts have one of the best shot creators in the league on their roster, he just creates shots for others. Maybe it would be easier to go with their previous model and just add some players who can hit the open shots he gets them.

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Klay Thompson

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Swaggy P is the answer.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I don't see us getting asik without green being involved which then it would be rondo love asik Bradley

Why would Green have to be involved in an Asik deal? The Rockets have Parsons. If they deal Asik it will be to create salary cap space for Melo, and we can offer salary cap relief and a pick.