Author Topic: In praise of Big Baby  (Read 5380 times)

Re: In praise of Big Baby
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I love you, Dancing Bear.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP!  I love to dance, and I love anyone else who dances, too!  ha ha ha ha
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP ..thats a good one ACF.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP!  I love to dance, and I love anyone else who dances, too!  ha ha ha ha

TP ..thats a good one ACF.

You should drop by GreenFaith1819's profile and drop him a Tommy Point because he was the one that came up with it in Game Thread #3  :)

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
If I am being critical of Glen Davis, you are also being critical of me and my opinion.  I said Glen Davis is a terrific bench player.  Maybe I should have added "on this team"...Last year he started on this team and we found just how much we missed someone of KG's length, skill and basketball IQ.  Davis did an admirable job when he was called, but he was not a starting caliber power forward, and Pierce and Ray Allen got worn out trying to make up for the intangibles KG brings.  Davis is good, but he is what he is...and that is a power forward/center who is not quite tall enough to compete with the big boys on the elite teams night after night.  They say, "You can't teach hustle" (Glen Davis has that in abundance) and you can't teach hight"!

Glen Davis is big and strong, and that is an advantage off the bench for bursts of time.  But it is not enough for a starter on a Championship team.  We absolutely need someone who can establish position and/or shoot over oponents in the power forward/center position, IMO.  (And, incidentally, mmbaby....I never "man up"  ha ha ha)

I pretty much agree with this. 

It's ok to give praise with Davis while having some temperance b/c I believe people on here go overboard with their expecations of him.  Every player on this team has some shortcomings, so it's ok.

As far as your adamanet assessment of Davis "definitely" being a starter on a championship team, he was last year.. and the Celtics lost to the Magic (Davis wasn't the only reason).  This year?  The Celtics are on the verge of sweeping the Magic mostly because KG is starting and Davis is back to the roll he is cut out for:  Energy guy off the bench who chips in where needed. 

This is a positive thread so I will end it that way.  Davis has done a much better job adjusting to his role, and limiting his mistakes (like getting blocked).  His jump shot has magically appeared again  ;D and he's doing the things off the bench that are necessary to win.  I hope he keeps it up.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Well, I will agree to disagree also in the interest of positivity.
So far as last season when BBD filled in for KG, it was his second year in the league and yes, he did a great job.
I believe I said in the future, he would make a great starter, not right this minute. He is still young and developing and needs time.
Since this thread is in praise of BBD, how 'bout some love for him now and how great he is doing. I think I'm his greatest fan on here and he is from my home state. I also love the team as a whole.

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Well, I will agree to disagree also in the interest of positivity.
So far as last season when BBD filled in for KG, it was his second year in the league and yes, he did a great job.
I believe I said in the future, he would make a great starter, not right this minute. He is still young and developing and needs time.
Since this thread is in praise of BBD, how 'bout some love for him now and how great he is doing. I think I'm his greatest fan on here and he is from my home state. I also love the team as a whole.
I believe, if you reread my posts, that I have been praising him...I said I have been a critic (not a hater) in the past, but I think he is doing a terrific job right now...and right now is all that is important, as you can't change the past.  One of our chatters, Harry Hoop, points out every good thing that Davis does...just in case I might miss something,  ;D ... so I am aware that he has been playing well.  Ha ha ha ha
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
During this post season run, I don't think Davis has been forgotten at all. I've read and heard a ton of praise for the guy, and deservedly so!

The 3 man bench has been great. Each is as important as the other.

Keep it coming guys! The hustle and defense are a thing of beauty! Go Celtics!

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
I certainly wasn't singling you out, Thirsty, and am aware that you've had a lot of praise for BBD and though we disagree in some areas, we agree in lots of others.
On another note, I have a great enthusiasm for Baby's future career as a starter on a good team. I am just excited for my favorite player and don't engage in hyperbole if I can help it. Through his 3 year career so far, he has simply gotten better and better and I see that as an indicator of his likely future success.
For now....LET'S GO CELTICS! I am so proud of our team. 

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I certainly wasn't singling you out, Thirsty, and am aware that you've had a lot of praise for BBD and though we disagree in some areas, we agree in lots of others.
On another note, I have a great enthusiasm for Baby's future career as a starter on a good team. I am just excited for my favorite player and don't engage in hyperbole if I can help it. Through his 3 year career so far, he has simply gotten better and better and I see that as an indicator of his likely future success.
For now....LET'S GO CELTICS! I am so proud of our team. 
On THAT we definitely do agree!!!   ;D  Go  Celts!!!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
Thanks, Thirsty.
Gettin' ready to turn on this TV set, heart-rate speeding up and adrenalin is pumpin......BRING IT ON.
GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Baby relishes the praise.