Author Topic: In praise of Big Baby  (Read 5379 times)

In praise of Big Baby
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Amongst all the attention Rondo is (deservedly) getting, the continued excellence of the Big 3, and the re-emergence of Tony Allen (this season) and Sheed (the last 8 games), we tend to forget about one key contributor - Glen aka "Big Baby" aka "Ticket Stub" aka "Dancing Bear" aka "Lucius Leftfoot" (wait, different Big fella) Davis.

Baby's numbers haven't been overwhelming for the playoffs - 8 pts, 4 rebounds, 48% from the floor, assists, blocks, and steals all negligible.  But he's been a great asset off the bench for our team.  We resigned him to be the 2nd big off the bench, play solid D at the 4 and 5, crash the offensive boards, and score efficiently off feeds inside and mid-range jumpers.  So far, he's filled this role wonderfully in the playoffs, and has arguably been our 2nd best big for the run.  He's even had a signature game - Game 2 against Miami, when a lot of people thought we'd struggle with KG suspended, Baby symbolized the effort of the team, bulldozing Heat defenders repeatedly on the way to the rim in a game that was never competitive.  And don't forget, he was our high scorer last night.

But BBD's best, most indispensable quality, is that he is not afraid of big games and big moments, not in the least.  From some big 4th quarters against Detroit in 2008, to that huge jumper against Orlando last season, to this year's performance, Glen raises his game when it matters most.  That's much more important than some headscratching quotes, a stupid preseason fight, and maddening inconsistency around the rim in the regular season put together.  That's the type of player that championship teams need in a secondary role.

Put it this way - for the rest of the playoff run (not the long-term), how many backup bigs among playoff teams would you rather have than Baby?  I've got Odom, Varejao, and Millsap, and everyone below them (Gortat, Haslem, Hickson, etc) is debatable at best.  And if you had to sign the checks you might not even want those three. 

Glen's taken a lot of heat here this season, but it's time we gave him some much-deserved love - like the team, he's redeemed his regular season these past few weeks.

Re: In praise of Big Baby
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves
Here. here. (TP) And I fully expect Dancing Bear to continue his excellent play in Game 4 and beyond.  :)
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Here here!  Always been a fan of Baby.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
TP and I love the Dancing Bear. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
You're absolutely right,,,TP.
He's being overlooked but he's playing great.
I have to admit that I've been critical of Baby this year-never critical of his effort though.
Actually, it's amazing how everyone on the team is playing better in the playoffs than they have all year. Mostly(Garnett, Pierce) due to being healthy, but TA and Baby are playing better than they ever have.
The way the C's are playing right now is just beautiful to watch. And it looks like yet another Boston-LA finals, just like it should be.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
61 free throws earned against 71 shot attempts by BBD

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Interesting stat I just found:

Glen Davis scored more points last night (17) than Rashard Lewis has scored in the entire series (15).

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
61 free throws earned against 71 shot attempts by BBD

Amazing stat and one of the most overlooked by most fans is the ability to get the other team in penalty.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Interesting stat I just found:

Glen Davis scored more points last night (17) than Rashard Lewis has scored in the entire series (15).

Thumbs up.

As others have mentioned, his ability to get to the free throw line is great.  We really missed that all year and now that we have it, it's really paying off for us.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo and Pierce really make Big Baby get some easy scoring opportunities.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Yep, Baby definitely deserves some praise for his performances in these playoffs. He kind of annoyed me during the season but he has stepped up his game a notch in the playoffs. He started with his game 2 performance against Miami and from then, he just made big plays game after game, preventing opponents' comebacks late in game with crucial 2+1 or starting to put some distance early in the game with his energy and hustle.

It's really a pleasure to see him finish around the rim either reverse, with dunks (!) and with fouls. Plus, he is making his free throws. Not to mention the charges he drew and his solid defensive job overall.

Kudos to Baby, it's fun to see him perform along with Rondo, these guys really click with each other. Hopefully Baby will keep it up till we win the championship. His hustle and energy have been huge for us in these playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Mark my words, Glen is going to be a starter for a championship team someday. He hasn't gotten the credit he deserves here, but glad to see this op.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
He's playing well and provides the energy off the bench that this team needs.  Things I like about his play:

-He attacks the hoop on offense and gets to the line.

-He's boxing out on the defensive end.

-He's pushing Dwight away from the hoop.

As someone stated above he most certainly benefits from Pierce & Rondo, as well as Ray's spacing, but hats off to him for making the most of it.  I worry about how he'll matchup with the Lakers though, but I know he'll at least try hard.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Agreed, FWF (TP) ... love the kid, and I always have. He makes some very immature mistakes at times, and his emotions can get the best of him, but that's only because he puts 110% into everything he does. I hope he stays in green, truly.

That said, I think this blog has been praising almost everyone but Kendrick Perkins of late, and the Big Guy has been huge for us in the last two series especially. If you're listening, Perk, we still love ya, Big Guy! (Great post, FWF).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Yeah I've always loved Perk too, but most of the games lately he has been substituted a lot either by Rasheed or Baby. Too many fouls. Baby's numbers are always higher than his and he's not even a center, though he has been asked to play that part when Perk is out, along with Sheed when he is not in foul trouble. 
That's what I love about Baby. He can wear many hats and do a good job at all of them.
After reading a whole season of BBD bashing here, it is awfully quiet lately. Rasheed too, who has been excellent, even in the 3 pointers, which everyone bashed him for here.
And what about Ray Allen and the trade him calls? What about Tony Allen and the Haiku bashing?
What about the Doc bashing?
Is this purely a bashing blog or what? Because it sure seemed like it during the season. That's why I quit coming.