Author Topic: Could Perkins average 20-10 as a 1st/2nd option on a bad team?  (Read 6123 times)

Re: Could Perkins average 20-10 as a 1st/2nd option on a bad team?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes.  Maybe not immediatly but with enough minutes and enough touches it would happen eventually. He is still young and improving every year. 40 mpg and 20 attempts probably would do it. The question is would you want perk shooting as many shots as kobe or lebron. That would be fun to watch.

His rebounding rate suggests that 36 minutes per game would get him to 10 rebounds. So its a matter of shot attempts and does his conditioning allow Perkins to play extended minutes.

I have my doubts that he would be as effective with lest rest. He had a tough time maintaining his energy when it was just him as our only shot blocker. (I'm not saying he played poorly at all, he was our rock but you could see him get winded frequently later in games)

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
20-10?  No.

However, I think Perk could be capable of 15/8 or something along those lines.  Also, I also don't think he's a guy that you can count on to be your leading option. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
20-10?  No.

However, I think Perk could be capable of 15/8 or something along those lines.  Also, I also don't think he's a guy that you can count on to be your leading option. 

His per36 numbers right now are 16/10. Look at his offensive improvement over the last year or two and remember he's only 25. He probably won't do it but it's not as far-fetched as people seem to think.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
20-10?  No.

His per36 numbers right now are 16/10. Look at his offensive improvement over the last year or two and remember he's only 25. He probably won't do it but it's not as far-fetched as people seem to think.

Per 36 minutes are of limited utility here, because we don't know how Perk would react to being double-teamed, rather than being the guy who is often left open by other teams.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
20-10?  No.

True, but as the primary option on a team, he'd be seeing a lot more double teams and I have to think his FG% would go down.  I also think that if he was the primary option on offense, you might see a slight dip in his rebounding numbers just due to the change in his game to being a primary option on offense.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
20-10?  No.

Per 36 minutes are of limited utility here, because we don't know how Perk would react to being double-teamed, rather than being the guy who is often left open by other teams.
Rebounding per minute numbers are pretty consistent with what players will do though.

I do agree that Perk would have a tough adjustment if he was getting 5 to 6 more shot attempts and being a featured player.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
20-10?  No.

Rebounding per minute numbers are pretty consistent with what players will do though.

To some extent, yes.  However, there's not much to suggest that Perk's rebounding numbers would necessarily go up as a primary scoring option.  For instance, look at Big Al, when he went from Boston to Minnesota.  His rebounding numbers per 36 minutes dipped, from a high of 11.7 per 36 in Boston, to 11.2, to 10.7, to 9.8 currently. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
20-10?  No.

To some extent, yes.  However, there's not much to suggest that Perk's rebounding numbers would necessarily go up as a primary scoring option.  For instance, look at Big Al, when he went from Boston to Minnesota.  His rebounding numbers per 36 minutes dipped, from a high of 11.7 per 36 in Boston, to 11.2, to 10.7, to 9.8 currently. 

I agree.  As I just mentioned in my other post, I think if Perk became the primary option on offense that his rebounding would slightly dip.  He's going to be expending more energy of the offensive end while sometimes facing double teams, I think his rebounding would take a dip because of it.  Not dramatically or anything but a slight drop.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
20-10?  No.

True, but as the primary option on a team, he'd be seeing a lot more double teams and I have to think his FG% would go down.  I also think that if he was the primary option on offense, you might see a slight dip in his rebounding numbers just due to the change in his game to being a primary option on offense.

But if he's the primary option he's also going to have a lot more than 10 shots a game.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
20-10?  No.

But if he's the primary option he's also going to have a lot more than 10 shots a game.

He is going to have more shots but I think a lot more of them are going to be contested and I think his FG% drops.  Also, if you look at Perk's game, almost all his scoring is done in a very small vicinity. 

He's not that versatile on offense.  If he could get that jump hook going on a consistent basis, he'd be a lot more dangerous.  I don't think Perk could ever truly being the #1 scoring option on a basketball.  He's kinda limited in offensive skills.  Putting him on a bad basketball team as a primary option, isn't going to all of a sudden have him turn into Chris Bosh or something. 

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Unfortunately, I don't think he could do anything close.  Perkins offense has grown dramatically over the last few years, and that is a credit to his work ethic.  However, he really only is effective offensively when he is facing single coverage in the post, and getting dishes from Rondo for easy baskets.  If he were a bigger part of the offense, that would change dramatically.  Teams would not allow him to hold on to the ball, they would force him to move further from the basket, and they simply would not give him room to work.  

Right now, I think Perk's offensive numbers and efficiency have a ton to do with the guys he is playing with.  Teams do not gameplan for him, which allows him to basically fly under the radar (I think this was also one of the reasons Powe was so efficient).  That would change if he were a primary option.

Ultimately, I don't know why anyone would really care about this anyways.  Perk is a defensive force.  He is one of the better defenders in the league, and he continues to improve.  Anything they get from him offensively is just gravy...and I do not anticipate that changing.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 10:27:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
20-10?  No.

First of all I'm skeptical that he'd get tons of double-teams. Giving him more shots won't turn him into Shaq. Also Perk isn't really left open by other teams. They don't leave the guy 5 feet from the basket unguarded in order to double PP or KG. He gets open shots when his man has to leave him to stop penetration which happens on other teams as well.

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
20-10?  No.

First of all I'm skeptical that he'd get tons of double-teams. Giving him more shots won't turn him into Shaq. Also Perk isn't really left open by other teams. They don't leave the guy 5 feet from the basket unguarded in order to double PP or KG. He gets open shots when his man has to leave him to stop penetration which happens on other teams as well.

If he is a 20 point scorer, he WILL be facing double and triple teams.  I think you are underestimating how hard it is to average that many points as an interior scorer in the NBA.  There are a ton of guys who can average 12-14 points, if they are only given single coverage, and get 2-3+ wide open dunks per game because of the penetration and dish ability of their teammates.  But to take it to that next level is incredibly difficult, and only truly gifted offensive players are able to do it...and Perk is not a gifted offensive player.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
As a third option on offense i think he's definitely capable of 15-10. As a major player his minutes would jump up from 28PG to 38+PG and he'd always hit his rebounding numbers, but like you said the scoring wouldn't come as easy because of double teams.

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
As a third option on offense i think he's definitely capable of 15-10. As a major player his minutes would jump up from 28PG to 38+PG and he'd always hit his rebounding numbers, but like you said the scoring wouldn't come as easy because of double teams.

I think the other important thing is if he became a 3rd option, and his scoring went up to about 15 points per game, his shooting percentage would likely plummet as well.