Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14954 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The poll was trading Tatum AND Brown AND Smart.  I would probably be willing to include Tatum in a trade to get Davis but I would not trade all three.  Davis IS an elite talent, no doubt about it.  Tatum COULD be an elite talent.  That is the big difference right now.

Remember, even in the KG trade, Danny would not include Rondo along with everything else.  To get Davis, you are going to have to overpay (or at least it will feel that way at the time), just like it felt like we overpaid for Kyrie and many felt we overpaid for KG.  There is a limit though.

Say the trade is Tatum, Smart, Lakers pick, and I don't know, Ojeleye.  That is still a nice haul for NOP but we are left with a team of Kyrie, Brown, Davis to build around (along with Horford and Hayward of course).  I suspect many will say "overpay" but I am OK with that based on the team would would have to move forward with.  I bet NOP does not do it though, why would they trade Davis.  That is the real question.

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not prepared to trade Tatum yet. His ceiling is anywhere from Tobias Harris to a 12-year franchise cornerstone.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 09:42:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not prepared to trade Tatum yet. His ceiling is anywhere from Tobias Harris to a 12-year franchise cornerstone.

I agree. But, Davis’ floor seems to be a 10 year franchise cornerstone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Dang, I voted "No" on this poll too btw, but I bet you if this was asked a few months ago (August-September), this would be lopsided in favor of "yes".  :P
Of course, a lot of people in Boston didn't like the KG trade because the loved/believed in Big Al so much.

Not my recollection of the general reaction to the KG trade.
KG trade season lasted a long time, given he spiked a deal for sure pre-draft and the rumors ran all summer.

I was just a lurker back then but I remember a lot of debate if giving up Big Als career was worth 3-5 years of old KG.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like Davis but not for Tatum or Brown.  Those guys are keepers.  Period.

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Don't think you can justify trading all three (plus more salary and picks) for Davis at the moment. That'd absolutely kill our depth and make us so top heavy that our bench and young talent would be depleted. That'd be putting a TON of eggs into one basket, which I'm not sure is smart.

However, this summer I'd probably do something like a Smart S&T, Tatum, and the LA pick and Memphis pick for Davis, which would leave us Brown and Rozier. A Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Davis, and Horford starting five is insane, and we'd have a solid bench with Rozier, Morris, Theis, Baynes, and whatever ring-chasing vets we could get.

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Dang, I voted "No" on this poll too btw, but I bet you if this was asked a few months ago (August-September), this would be lopsided in favor of "yes".  :P
Of course, a lot of people in Boston didn't like the KG trade because the loved/believed in Big Al so much.

Not my recollection of the general reaction to the KG trade.

The polling before the trade showed that fans were very against a KG trade if Big Al was included.  That was both here and on the Globe’s website.

After the trade actually happened, fans were ecstatic.

Hey Roy...kind of like the Kyrie one, right?  ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Every time I see Tatum play, I'm always impressed by how smooth and under control he is offensively. I also love how he is willing and able to play down low on both sides of the ball, and seems to be a very good rebounder. I also keep on thinking the same thing after seeing Tatum play every game, that I wouldn't trade him.

In today's NBA with position-less basketball and three point ability, Tatum may be the closest thing to Durant, who happens to be the gold standard. At 19, his shooting splits are 50/50/83.

I know its early in the season, and something like trading for Davis needs to be evaluated based on how this year plays out. However, with a 19 year old rookie and 21 year old sophomore in the starting lineup, the Celtics are still managing to be the best defensive team in the league, and are also near the top in rebounding. These kids are only going to get better too. If this trend of defense and rebounding keeps up for the season, then what would Davis do to help improve the team?

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd trade Tatum for Davis, but Tatum and Brown and Smart-- that's getting costly.

AD is awesome, but he hasn't performed at an MVP level since the '14-'15 season. We're still talking about a future HOFer, but AD no longer appears to be destined for Garnett-level greatness.

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

Absolutely NOT.  We now have all the pieces we need to compete for championships going forward.

Irving, Smart, Horford, Davis, and Hayward is not a championship team to you?

So tell me what you think is the best method, or plan of going through? I would like to keep the youngsters. We could certainly have a dynasty on our hands, for quite a long time.

Davis is certainly the cream of the prop in prospects, and the possible superstar the Celtics have been waiting for.

That's a fine starting five, maybe best in the NBA, but you wouldn't have any bench behind them, so forget about winning a title that way.  Brown and Tatum are on rookie deals for several seasons, and Davis, a great player, is quite injury prone and on a significant contract. 

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

Absolutely NOT.  We now have all the pieces we need to compete for championships going forward.

What’s Tatum’s upside? Granger? Pierce? PG13?

Taking emotion out of it, I’d trade any of them for Davis.

PG13.  Davis is a bona-fide superstar, but he costs much much more under the cap for the next four seasons and has proven to be injury-prone.  Barring injury, Tatum will be an equivalent talent in time. 

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So tell me what you think is the best method, or plan of going through? I would like to keep the youngsters. We could certainly have a dynasty on our hands, for quite a long time.

Davis is certainly the cream of the prop in prospects, and the possible superstar the Celtics have been waiting for.

That's a fine starting five, maybe best in the NBA, but you wouldn't have any bench behind them, so forget about winning a title that way.  Brown and Tatum are on rookie deals for several seasons, and Davis, a great player, is quite injury prone and on a significant contract.
You add the bench in free agency this summer (since you know you won't have Hayward till the summer anyway).  And the team would still have Morris, Rozier, Yabu, Semi, Baynes (if they re-signed him), etc., plus whomever it might acquire with the DPE and whatever draft picks it still has.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

That's why we have ring chasers lol...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
If Tatum turns out to be what it looks like.. we Can have Davis in 2 years.. the same way we got AL and Gordon..  Guys want to play with a stud for a winning organization with a winning coach.... Just be patient.

We need to stop looking at Tatum as just a piece.. He is a legit Building block not a chip but a piece.  That's what it looks like.  Guys are going to want to play with him.

Ohhh wait.. ALL that for DAVIS.. MAN... "hang up the phone!"

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:36:16 PM by chiken Green »

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Tatum turns out to be what it looks like.. we Can have Davis in 2 years.. the same way we got AL and Gordon..  Guys want to play with a stud for a winning organization with a winning coach.... Just be patient.

We need to stop looking at Tatum as just a piece.. He is a legit Building block not a chip but a piece.  That's what it looks like.  Guys are going to want to play with him.

Ohhh wait.. ALL that for DAVIS.. MAN... "hang up the phone!"
No cap space in two years
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip