Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14950 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Tatum for Davis.

Obviously there is filler, but who cares? Tatum for Davis.

Both transcendent players.

Tatum isn’t there yet. That’s got to be factored into the equation.

I’d like to think that Paul Pierce is his most likely scenario, but is that true?

Tatum could quite easily be better than pierce.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tatum for Davis.

I’d like to think that Paul Pierce is his most likely scenario, but is that true?

Quite easily?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Tatum for Davis.

Can we just let this young man live his career before we put unnecessary expectations first.. that's a very bold statement. Pierce has been one of the most underappreciated stars of his entire career.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tatum for Davis.

I didn’t get to see much of Paul prior to 2001. How was he in his first three years? I know he came out of college 2 years older than Tatum, but he seemed capable in every facet of the game right off the bat.

Pierce is my favorite player ever, so to draft a 2.0 in Tatum would be dream.

Tatum has a great shot. I don’t think it’s an aberration, I think it’s legit. His slashing at times looks elite, but it’s not consistent. His length is certainly bothersome on defense, but he isn’t a standout individual defender and his team defense (areas where Pierce excelled) isn’t up to par, but I know he’s only 19.

Will he ever become the passer (probably the most underrated area of Paul’s career), iso scorer (able to get his own shot off wherever he wants), defender, and leader that Paul became?

As talented and excellent as he has looked thus far, its extremely unfair to compare him to a 10x All-Star, Finals MVP, first-ballot HoF’er who is about to have his number retired.

I love the comparison, just not yet.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

I sure wouldnt.

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

I sure wouldnt.

Same. That would be a fleece for the Pelicans. I'd want back more than just AD!

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Tatum straight up for AD, I do it. I would think most GM's would but you would have to max AD soon, whereas Tatum has plenty of young cost controlled years before he ever earns his rookie max. Hmmm..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Tatum straight up for AD, I do it. I would think most GM's would but you would have to max AD soon, whereas Tatum has plenty of young cost controlled years before he ever earns his rookie max. Hmmm..

as has been pointed out in this thread that is why you do not do this. When you give up Tatum for AD you have to send out additional players just to match salary. After that you are restricted in the  quality of players you can get because of AD's salary. Why would you do that when AD does not necessarily give you much than Tatum.

So what you have in theory is AD > Tatum.....  Which is a big maybe and up for debate

But in reality what you are doing if you make this deal is

Tatum + multiple talented players + cap space > AD  ...indisputable and without a shadow of a doubt

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Tatum for Davis.

I didn’t get to see much of Paul prior to 2001. How was he in his first three years? I know he came out of college 2 years older than Tatum, but he seemed capable in every facet of the game right off the bat.

Pierce is my favorite player ever, so to draft a 2.0 in Tatum would be dream.

Tatum has a great shot. I don’t think it’s an aberration, I think it’s legit. His slashing at times looks elite, but it’s not consistent. His length is certainly bothersome on defense, but he isn’t a standout individual defender and his team defense (areas where Pierce excelled) isn’t up to par, but I know he’s only 19.

Will he ever become the passer (probably the most underrated area of Paul’s career), iso scorer (able to get his own shot off wherever he wants), defender, and leader that Paul became?

As talented and excellent as he has looked thus far, its extremely unfair to compare him to a 10x All-Star, Finals MVP, first-ballot HoF’er who is about to have his number retired.

I love the comparison, just not yet.

Actually, the comparison may shortchange Tatum and not PP.

Pierce was a 3 year starter in college with over 100 games as a starter under his belt. He turned 22 at the start of his rookie season. He should have been far ahead of Tatum at that juncture. PER 36 (this is one of those times this makes sense) he went for 17.4/6.8/2.5 on a TS of .54.

Tatum came out 2 1/2 years younger after 27 games started in college. That's an enormous difference in age and experience. PER 36 he's going for 16/6.3/1.5 on a TS of .626. He's also probably better defensively than Pierce was during his rookie year.

As rookies, statistically they're very close. When you take into account their relative ages and experience Tatum is having a far more impressive season. Now that doesn't mean he's going to be as good as PP. After all, there have been guys who hit the limits of their abilities pretty quickly in the NBA even after posting solid stats their first year or two (Greg Monroe hit that wall during his 2nd season, for instance). But right now, it's Tatum whose rookie campaign is more impressive in my view.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I wouldn't. because...

1. cap flexibility
2. durability
3. chemistry

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
It's really just hyperbole to even discuss Tatum for Davis. It could never happen for salary cap purposes.

But lets say they had equivalent salaries and thus could be swapped in a 1-for-1 deal. This is an obvious decision to me. Davis for sure.

But there are too many factors to consider including the salary cap (cost controlled years vs. max) and health.

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Maybe I am overvaluing our own players, but I wouldn't trade Tatum, Brown and Smart for AD.  That just seems too much to me.  Pelicans probably would want picks on top of that.  I like Davis, but Brown and Tatum have a big chance to be long term celtics with all star potential who are on great contracts.

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Tatum for Davis.

Can we just let this young man live his career before we put unnecessary expectations first.. that's a very bold statement. Pierce has been one of the most underappreciated stars of his entire career.

Sure, but we're discussing his potential on an internet forum which he'll never read. So who cares what our expectations are. He could be better than Pierce. He has the tools and more speed and athleticism. Its completely conceivable.

I don't say that lightly. Paul was my favourite player ever.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum for Davis.

Sure, but we're discussing his potential on an internet forum which he'll never read. So who cares what our expectations are. He could be better than Pierce. He has the tools and more speed and athleticism. Its completely conceivable.

I must be getting old because Pierce is only my 4th favorite Celtic after Bird, Havlicek and McHale.

Must say though, Tatum has the potential to bust into that top 4. Time will tell but he has that type of potential.

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Tatum for Davis.

I must be getting old because Pierce is only my 4th favorite Celtic after Bird, Havlicek and McHale.

Must say though, Tatum has the potential to bust into that top 4. Time will tell but he has that type of potential.

See I only go back to McHale/Bird, but there is still Havlicek & Bill Russell ahead at least, and JoJo White is up here in the top 5-7 conversation as well. That might put Pierce outside the Celtics all time top-5.

Tatum is special smooth with the ball though. Comes natural.  And he rebounds and can defend, too.