Author Topic: Ray Allen to Charlotte Idea/Other Charlotte Idea  (Read 7640 times)

Ray Allen to Charlotte Idea/Other Charlotte Idea
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
You know what? It's the offseason, basketball is my favorite sport, the Celtics are my favorite team, I'm not going to apologize for throwing out trade ideas that are fun to talk about with others who feel the same way.

I usually have some logic behind any trade ideas, and here's my thinking for this one:

The motivation was from Marc Stein's article today:
Okafor, meanwhile, continues to be mentioned by chatterers as the restricted free agent most likely to leave his current employer via sign-and-trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=VegasChatter-080717&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

One idea would be to try to trade Perkins, Scalabrine and Glen Davis in a S&T for Okafor, if Okafor signs about a 6yr 55 million dollar contract starting at around 7.5 mil a year with 8% raises. Okafor is an upgrade from Perk and plays about 9 more minutes a game, something to consider since we'd have to use KG at the 5 for less time and use fewer backup center minutes.

However, I know there are subtleties to trading BYC contracts in a Sign and Trade, and though I'm not figuring out the specifics, I know the percentages are easier to get around in bigger trades. So I wanted to try and expand the deal, and here's my reasoning:
-MJ is questionable at best as a GM, and seems drawn to recognizable names.
-Ray Allen is a big name, and would be a nice fan draw and still an excellent player
-Charlotte appears hesitant to invest long term in anybody, so the proposed deal would shorten Charlotte's financial obligations.

Here's the proposed deal:
Ray Allen (2 yrs, 17.4 and 18.8)
Scalabrine (2yrs, 3.2 and 3.4)
Glen Davis (1 yr, .7)
Total: 21.3 mil in yr. 1

For

Jason Richardson (3 yrs, 12.2, 13.3, 14.4)
Okafor (6 yrs, 8, 8.8, 9.7, 10.6, 11.7, 12.9, 61.7 total)
Total: 20.2 mil in yr. 1

Obviously we'd try to get Okafor to either sign for less total money, take smaller raises, or frontload the contract as much as possible to give future flexibility. I don't know the lowest he'd sign for; I was estimating 6 yrs 55-60 mil but he might go for 50 mil for 6 yrs.

Jason Richardson is a very good player. He seems fully recovered from his knee injury. He's only 27, had a better PER than Ray Allen last year and does a lot of the same things. He's a career .363 3 pt. shooter but he's been trending upwards, shooting at .384, .367 (injury year), and .406 (last year), and he rarely turns the ball over and chips in a decent amount of rebounds. His assist/turnover numbers are nearly identical to Ray's.

Anyway, our lineup would be:
Rondo, Pruitt
Richardson/TA
Pierce/Giddens
KG/Powe
Okafor/Perk/O'bryant

That's a darn good lineup, and KG never has to play center.

Re: Ray Allen to Charlotte Idea/Other Charlotte Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This summer season is really slow, indeed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
That lineup looks real nice, how is richardson's defense?

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i seriously doubt Charlotte gives up both okafur and ricardson for essentialy ray allen. i mean, davis is nice and has upside, but why would they trade away 2 proven guys for one and a prospect? i know there trying to move okafor, but richardson is a real good player as well.

the trade with perk, davis and scal for oks isnt bad, if they'd take it i'd probley do it assuming he would sign an extension in the sign and trade. the thing is, thats alot to ask of the front office, that would probley kick our payroll up to 85 million or so. were already the third highest in the league, and im not sure wyc would think okafor is worth 20 million more than perk (10 mill contract +10 mill tax) a year. I'm not sure i am to be honest. he's clearly better, but thats KG vs scal better, and i'm not sure the diffreance is that vast.

a reasonable trade for him though, TP for the non-ray allen deal.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
GAH!!! what the frig? ray isn't going ANYWHERE. we just won banner 17 with a lineup that just got thrown together this time last year. what needs to change??? please, PLEASE save me from insanity and someone, ANYONE put an end to these ray allen trade ideas!!!   >:(   :o   :(

on a side note, charlotte would never do that deal.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That lineup looks real nice, how is richardson's defense?
You don't even know what Richardson's skills are, how could this line-up look like _anything_ to you? Or do you just like how the name sounds?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't like it. I like the idea of having okafor, but i'm all set with richardson. he has 3yrs remaing and this gives charlotte ray allen's expiring contract for 2010.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Okafur turned down an extension from the Bobcats last fall. He reportedly was seeking $13mill/per, so I would think $50-$60mill for 6yrs would be laughed off table.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=681914

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Why on earth would Charlotte trade it's two best players for a soon-to-be over the hill Ray Allen and a bunch of other scrubs.  This is one of the worst trade ideas I've ever heard.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like your thinking targeting Charlotte, Fan from VT, though I don't think the trade you propose is realistic. I would wait until after this season and think about trading Ray and Scal for Jason Richardson and Nazr Mohammed. That would give the Bobcats TONS of space for the big FA crop in 2010, and the C's a long term replacement for Ray Ray, in Richardson. The guy's super athletic and can shoot lights out.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Why on earth would Charlotte trade it's two best players for a soon-to-be over the hill Ray Allen and a bunch of other scrubs.  This is one of the worst trade ideas I've ever heard.

It might happen if Chris Wallace suddenly becomes their manager tomorrow. It's still fun to think about.  8)

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

just a question, did anyone bother to read the second trade?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yeah, both of them look equally ludicrous.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Okafur turned down an extension from the Bobcats last fall. He reportedly was seeking $13mill/per, so I would think $50-$60mill for 6yrs would be laughed off table.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=681914

True, but that may have been a bad move on his part. He's losing leverage quickly.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Yeah, both of them look equally ludicrous.

how so on the second one? i would do perk, a 2nd rounder with "upside" and scal for one of the better young centers in the game pretty quickly.